Pages: 1 ... 24 [25] 26 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 324937 times)
eor

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2008, 03:17:49 AM »

ok, i finally got back on (or off?) the wagon and finished another book.

love in the time of cholera - gabriel garcia marquez

anyone familiar with it?  i came to find a movie version came out last year, but i heard it sucked hard.  i'll look into it.  that said, the book was great.  he's my 2nd favorite author, so i was bound to like it, but it isn't my favorite thing he's done.  it's sweeter and more romantic than his other stuff i've read, but still very much in his "style".  one of his better works, surely.

on deck- i don't know.  i have a copy of 1984 sitting around, but i read it before years ago.  maybe i should poke around or get around to finally re-reading some of the stuff i didn't get too much the first time around.

love,
eor
robv

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: August 19, 2008, 11:40:09 PM »

Love in the Time of Cholera is a great book. His other masterpiece One Hundred Years of Solitude is a must read. Lately I've been enjoying Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna by Umberto Eco and Exit Music by Ian Rankin. A book by Anne Michaelst,hat I really enjoyed 8-10 years ago is coming out in a movie this fall called Fugitive Pieces . I'm hoping that it's a good movie and I wish she'd write another novel.
Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: August 20, 2008, 04:47:25 AM »

I just finished Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21730 Pages by Ammon Shea. Also Coastliners by Joanne Harris (I've been on a Joanne Harris kick of late). I'm currently rereading The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
tonejones

« Reply #483 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »

The "New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster...post-modern noir at its finest.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »

I'm in the middle of Letters to Malcolm by CS Lewis. 
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:10 AM »

I just bought and am about to read The Shack. By William P. Young. Eugene Peterson who wrote the Message paraphrase of the BIBLE.(a real down to earth version) said it could be the next Pilgrim's Progress. And the head of the Southern Baptist Convention said it was harrisay. I figure it has to be interesting.
omozom

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: August 21, 2008, 01:19:50 AM »

Well I finally made my way through all 25 pages of this thread. A book in itself.
There are some great suggestions and I have added considerably to my own list.
I am particularly surprised yet excited to see so many references to Steinbeck. I read many of his while in high school and always enjoyed him. Might have to go back and see what the years, experiences, insights might add to my enjoyment of his work.
This is a great thread and I think it should stay around and run it's course.
my own tastes run a bit esoteric and lean heavily to non fiction.
Anywayere is what I have been reading:

The Kite Runner................................... Khaled Hosseini  absolutely loved this and couldn't put it down
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Robert M. Persig got it for my son and decided to reread it myself

Islam and the West................................Bernard Lewis essays by Professor of Near East Studies Princeton   University
Longitudes & Latitudes............................Thomas L. Friedman essays by Foreign Affairs columnist N.Y.Times
Madame Secretary.................................Madeleine Albright A Memoir by Secretary of State
and I have just started
This Wheels on Fire The story of the Band  by Levon Helm with Stephen Davis

oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
Blueridge BR-1060 Carter Stanley
Hagstrom O102S Cedar/Hog OM
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »

I just bought and am about to read The Shack. By William P. Young. Eugene Peterson who wrote the Message paraphrase of the BIBLE.(a real down to earth version) said it could be the next Pilgrim's Progress. And the head of the Southern Baptist Convention said it was harrisay. I figure it has to be interesting.
With that kind of buzz surrounding it, it does sound interesting.  I'm not a huge fan of Peterson's work, but I'm not going to slam him for getting his Message (lame pun intended) out there.  I'm going to look into this book. 

omozom:  Wow, you read the whole thread?  Impressive. All the talk about Steinbeck here really got me into him as well.  East of Eden was my introduction to the man and his work and I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of his books that I've picked up.  I've been on a bit of a CS Lewis kick, which at this point almost seems too trendy considering his recent reemergence to fame, but the man was an intellectual giant and a brilliant mind.  I'm not sure that I grasp even half of what he was trying to communicate in his books, but I sure try. 
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2008, 04:14:55 AM »

creature,

it does smack of heresy, though that is trendy among both contemporary/post-modern "believers" and nonbelievers alike.  With so much great material out there, I just cannot see why it would be worth wasting my time. 

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »

creature,

it does smack of heresy, though that is trendy among both contemporary/post-modern "believers" and nonbelievers alike.  With so much great material out there, I just cannot see why it would be worth wasting my time. 
Good points.  It's just that I've never heard of it and might like to take a closer look.  I'm very out-of-the-loop when it comes to Christian culture.  I normally see the carnage of its trainwrecks and the fireworks from its celebrations from afar. And, you are correct, there is a sea of good material out there, so to waste time with contemporary attempts at breaking new ground normally (or hasn't been) my thing anyway.  I think reading Rob Bell a few years ago got me headed toward the exit signs when it comes to flavor-of-the-day thinkers.  Donald Miller has his brilliant moments, but his theology is the stuff of cereal boxes. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »

Good points.  It's just that I've never heard of it and might like to take a closer look.  I'm very out-of-the-loop when it comes to Christian culture.  I normally see the carnage of its trainwrecks and the fireworks from its celebrations from afar. And, you are correct, there is a sea of good material out there, so to waste time with contemporary attempts at breaking new ground normally (or hasn't been) my thing anyway.  I think reading Rob Bell a few years ago got me headed toward the exit signs when it comes to flavor-of-the-day thinkers.  Donald Miller has his brilliant moments, but his theology is the stuff of cereal boxes. 
                          Did you ever read one of my favorite books, which I noticed you were interested in a while back...

Huckleberry Finn

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »

Did you ever read one of my favorite books, which I noticed you were interested in a while back...

Huckleberry Finn

Not yet. 
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2008, 01:36:14 AM »

I would have to agree with you on The Message  LawDog it just O.K.  I do reference it once in a while ' to get a different angle on some verses. On  The Shack if  it was to be taken as doctrinal thesis it would be off. But from what I know about it so far it's just trying to get us to get us to not let our preconceived ideas about him get in the way of him reveling him self to us. (mainly what he looks like). What he wants us to know is what he is like and who he is. Although I believe the BIBLE is the #1  source to learn who HE is this might make us think. All culture seem to create there own totem poles of God. In America we seem to think JESUS a white male republican.  But personal I feel That if the Republicans,Democrats,The Southern Baptist and  an liberal church you want to pick where having a convention at the same time in the same city and Jesus was to come back as he did the first time in that town he would pass them all up and head to the local skid row and homeless shelter to help the sick and lost who knew it. A God that my punie mind can wrap it self around is no God at all. Personally I'm a doctrinal conservative Christan. But I don't mind be challenged to think. Once I read the whole book I might find a lot of thing I disagree with. The few parts I have heard sound  quite Biblical it's just the image of the souse that's challenging. But the point is to hear what being said not what you see.Now if after I read it all and I think it is garbage and a wast of my time I'll let you know. But then again that will just be my opinion.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2008, 02:04:34 AM »

I would have to agree with you on The Message  LawDog it just O.K.  I do reference it once in a while ' to get a different angle on some verses. On  The Shack if  it was to be taken as doctrinal thesis it would be off. But from what I know about it so far it's just trying to get us to get us to not let our preconceived ideas about him get in the way of him reveling him self to us. (mainly what he looks like). What he wants us to know is what he is like and who he is. Although I believe the BIBLE is the #1  source to learn who HE is this might make us think. All culture seem to create there own totem poles of God. In America we seem to think JESUS a white male republican.  But personal I feel That if the Republicans,Democrats,The Southern Baptist and  an liberal church you want to pick where having a convention at the same time in the same city and Jesus was to come back as he did the first time in that town he would pass them all up and head to the local skid row and homeless shelter to help the sick and lost who knew it. A God that my punie mind can wrap it self around is no God at all. Personally I'm a doctrinal conservative Christan. But I don't mind be challenged to think. Once I read the whole book I might find a lot of thing I disagree with. The few parts I have heard sound  quite Biblical it's just the image of the souse that's challenging. But the point is to hear what being said not what you see.Now if after I read it all and I think it is garbage and a wast of my time I'll let you know. But then again that will just be my opinion.
Nice post, but for what it's worth, comments like this one will get a very good and very long thread closed.  I'd hate to see that happen after this one has seen such a good long life. 
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: August 22, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »

Sorry meant no offence to anyone and I wouldn't want it closed either. So if anyone wants to comment just do it as  a PM. After I read it close I felt like my thought where poorly writen. My written skills are the worst I do much better verbally. But posting on this forum is helping me with that. Sorry again please don't close this thread.
tonejones

« Reply #495 on: August 22, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »

Sorry folks, two days ago I jumped on very very late in this thread in a writing frenzy and shot out the book I am reading at the moment without really immersing myself in the real conversation here....so, New York Trilogy aside...gluve1, I agree....I do not want to go any further and step on toes....but here is my recent experience...

My wife's co-worker gave her The Shack and urged her to have me read it....I am a spiritual seeker with no ties to any denomination or organized religion...conflicted, yes, but full of faith in MORE, yes!  I must say that I silently turned my nose up at it...after her praises of The Secret, I was in no mood for this...but this is where my main issue bubbles up...I feel open minded to all religions, spiritual paths, etc...but this thin tome caused me to writhe inside, and I had not even read the slip cover...

Someone mentioned Pop-Christianity earlier in the thread....this is where I completely shut down...any hint of this and I tend to go haywire and discredit anything that smacks of it...and I know this is not right...This book could really open millions of eyes to a new way of understanding, but I just cannot lend myself over to it.

Sorry folks, I know this is a bit of a ramble and every bit as disorganized as my feelings on the subject, but I wanted to put my thoughts out there...
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: August 22, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »

Just started 'The Brothers Karamazov'

tonejones

« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »

Ooh, I have not had the pleasure yet...I finished Crime and Punishment a while back...a dense read, but a wild ride into a torn psyche....
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »

Just started The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2008, 01:15:56 AM »

The Secret wouldn't be my cup of tea aether Tonejones.I believe so far The Shack is a completely different animal. I just like the large variety of smart books people read hear. Shows guitar players may not read music but we can read good books.
Pages: 1 ... 24 [25] 26 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: