Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 310132 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »

Alright here's how we'll do it. You tell me your five or ten favourite songs and singers/groups. Since I have everything the man ever recorded, I will design the perfect 10-15 song personalized Bob Dylan CD and send it to you. How's that sound? We'll need to exchange email and addresses on the message forum. 
Ok, let me think that over and I'll get back with you. 

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: April 27, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »

Sure. 
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: April 29, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »

Hey Duck, you are performing an important public service!
A friend of mine kept on me for years until I understood Bob Dylan.
Then, I was like "what was I missing!"
I am betting Creature will thank you for your kindness. If nothing else, you have to be
drawn into the history surrounding Bob Dylan. My wife tries to make fun of his voice, but
he makes fun of his voice in interviews--so that argument doesn't work with me any more!
----------------------------------------------

Keep up the great thread. I saw a copy--the thick edition--of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo on a colleague's desk the other day. Wow, that really took me back to a good time in my life. The story is quite intense, but historically accurate and many people think it is non-fiction. That was one of my favorite reads of all time. I liked the touring Broadway musical version of the play, but the book is awesome.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »

If nothing else, you have to be drawn into the history surrounding Bob Dylan.

I'm a fan but I get so tired of that aspect but then again I didn't grow up in that era.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: April 29, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Dylan sucks or that he's not a great songwriter.  I just have never really connected well with his music.  The only CD I have by him is Blonde on Blonde, and while there are some good songs, I find it doesn't get much rotation. 

Books:  I'm still going through Flannery O'Connor's complete volume of short stories.  If you've never read "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" I recommend it.  Especially if you like disturbing fiction. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »

Since Bob inspired almost everyone whom everyone likes even if they (think they) don't like Bob Dylan this shouldn't be that hard a task. As Warren Zevon said on Letterman, "He (Dylan) invented my job."   
What I've been able to do is connect folks with the Dylan they've never heard or at least haven't listened to very closely. Instead of shoving songs you don't like at you, I believe I can put together a program that will have you saying, "I didn't know he did that!" The thing is that folks who don't like Dylan haven't bothered to explore much of his catalogue. They're justifiably tired of "How does it feeeeeeel?" and "Lay Lady Laaaay" however.
Malachi Irl

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »

Duck,

I'm markedly intrigued in the 10 to 15 Dylan songs that you vested to - the creature - on the perimeters given.
I think (?) I have Dylan's catalog, 33 releases (Biograph's  3 cd's counted as 1 release).
No qualms to you but, genuinely interested in your train of thought.

Creature,

Your particulars in this matter are of preeminent import. For Duck to show coherent lineage (my presumption) and my constitutionally guaranteed-though limited right of pursuit of happiness. 

Duck, we're somewhat on the same page in the varied posts I've read of yours. But, I hold to the proverb: As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

Posts without dross? How could any Forum survive? again 
mika

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't read for pleasure (except for Sports Illustrated).  I read for knowledge (my other hobby is coaching sports).  I am currently re-reading The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams.

7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »

Duck,

I'm markedly intrigued in the 10 to 15 Dylan songs that you vested to - the creature - on the perimeters given.
I think (?) I have Dylan's catalog, 33 releases (Biograph's  3 cd's counted as 1 release).
No qualms to you but, genuinely interested in your train of thought.

Creature,

Your particulars in this matter are of preeminent import. For Duck to show coherent lineage (my presumption) and my constitutionally guaranteed-though limited right of pursuit of happiness. 

Duck, we're somewhat on the same page in the varied posts I've read of yours. But, I hold to the proverb: As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

Posts without dross? How could any Forum survive? again 

Yep 33, 34 if you count Dylan (Columbia's Revenge), the Gaslight Tapes plus 3 Best ofs, numerous live recordings, Biograph, The Bootleg Series volumes 1-7 and some cute little odds and ends that a friend of mine has given me. This friend, perhaps, the world's biggest Dylan fan has literally everything Dylan has ever done. I mean thousands of Dylan CDs and videos. He's written a book annotating all of Dylan's performances. Dylan was once asked about it. He said he wasn't interested in seeing where he'd been but if you had one that showed where he was going ...

http://www.binary-design.com/tangled/

Read the reviews. Tony Glover, Minneapolis harp player, formerly of Koerner, Glover and Ray is my brush with greatness. I have a recording of me singing Silvio and Leopardskin Pillbox Hat with Tony jamming on harp. Hey and I even worked in a fitting way to tout my friend's book! 

I haven't heard back from creature yet. It is interesting. I hope I can actually pull it off. 
Malachi Irl

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2008, 11:47:38 PM »

mika,

You state that you don't read for pleasure but for knowledge, curiously suspect. Knowledge begs the epistemological question of validity. Only after necessary but tedious logical exchanges does one after excruciating minutiae arrive at, not truth, but, ones axiom.

The terms Truth and Axiom are not synonymous.

I got the pick, if you got the shovel,

SPW
mika

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2008, 02:26:41 AM »

You state that you don't read for pleasure but for knowledge, curiously suspect. Knowledge begs the epistemological question of validity. Only after necessary but tedious logical exchanges does one after excruciating minutiae arrive at, not truth, but, ones axiom.

The terms Truth and Axiom are not synonymous.

I got the pick, if you got the shovel,

huh?    I have no idea what any of that means, I can't even pronounce half those words.  episte-what?

I guess what I meant to say is that I don't read novels, or fiction as some of the posters that are naming favorite authors.  The last novel I read was in college (a few decades ago).   I do read.  It's baseball season, so I just re-read The Mental Side of Hitting by Mike Epstein and am currently reading The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams.  During football season I read up on zone blocking fundamentals and the nuances of the wing T. 

aloha

7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2008, 03:44:51 AM »

mika, those reading novels aren't necessarily reading for pleasure; perhaps 'knowledge'.

Irl,
an axiom by definition is truth.

axiom - "a self-evident truth", "a statement accepted as true as the basis for argument or inference"

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2008, 05:41:59 AM »

I haven't heard back from creature yet. It is interesting. I hope I can actually pull it off. 
duck - I'm not blowing you off.  I've just been slammed and haven't had much time online. I am interested though.

On reading:  I don't think not reading is something to be ashamed of, but rather it's that a person who doesn't read really is missing some great stuff.  I talk to lots of folks who don't read and don't know where to start.  I tell them all the same thing, which is the thing that got me HOOKED a few years ago:  old American short stories.  There are many books in the half-price shops and the local libraries that have volumes of these.  Washington Irving (Devil and Tom Walker, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, et al) is a really good place to start in particular. 

FWIW
Malachi Irl

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: May 03, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »

jeremy,

Under definitions of Philosophical Terms:

"axiom
A proposition formally accepted without demonstration, proof, or evidence as one of the starting-points for the systematic derivation of an organized body of knowledge."

An axiom by definition is undemonstrable.

"truth
The conformity of a proposition to the way things are. Precise analysis of the nature of truth is the subject of the correspondence, coherence, pragmatic, redundancy, and semantic theories of truth."
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: May 03, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »

the defintion you gave doesn't say an axiom is indemonstrable.

Malachi Irl

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »

axiom
Encyclopædia Britannica Article

in logic, an indemonstrable first principle, rule, or maxim, that has found general acceptance or is thought worthy of common acceptance whether by virtue of a claim to intrinsic merit or on the basis of an appeal to self-evidence. An example would be: “Nothing can both be and not be at the same time and in the same respect.”
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2008, 05:39:53 AM »

axiom
Encyclopædia Britannica Article

in logic, an indemonstrable first principle, rule, or maxim, that has found general acceptance or is thought worthy of common acceptance whether by virtue of a claim to intrinsic merit or on the basis of an appeal to self-evidence. An example would be: “Nothing can both be and not be at the same time and in the same respect.”

That's better. 

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »

"axiom
A proposition formally accepted without demonstration, proof, or evidence as one of the starting-points for the systematic derivation of an organized body of knowledge."

An axiom by definition is undemonstrable.

That's why I never did well in Math...just couldn't agree to abide by those undemonstrable axioms.

If it sounds good, it is good.

djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »

Frankenstein: A Cultural History
by Susan Tyler Hitchcock.

Recently read:

Paul Blaisedell, Forgotten Monster Maker

and

Jack Pierce, Makeup Genius.

Do I need to add, I'm a monster movie fan and former makeup FX artist??
Photo is of my EC Horror host busts and the Karloff "BRIDE" bust I did in 1975.
Time flies--like an arrow (fruit flies like a banana!)

Doug Jones

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »

Just read Prince Caspian by CS Lewis in preperation for the movie this Friday.  GREAT book!
Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: