Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 309583 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »

I finished the Stranger last week sometime. It was ok, not great, not bad.

I found that one in the "classic" section of the library last year.  I've said it before here, but that was the worst book I've ever read.  Very few books do I consider a complete waste of my time, but that was one of them. 

I've been reading Flannery O'Connor's short stories of late.  I found a volume containing all of them and am really enjoying them.  If you like slightly disturbing stories, then these are great. 
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: April 26, 2008, 04:05:07 AM »

Right now I'm reading Catch 22. I can't decide if I like Heller's writing style, but some of his stuff is so funny I have to read it out loud to my hubby & daughter! After reading reviews which reference this book when comparing another to it, I decided I really should read the original. I'm a huge patron of used book stores. Our library here really leaves a lot to be desired, if you like to read anything except "chick lit" and anything on Oprah's reading list. They do have an enormous computer room, and lots of CDs and DVDs.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: April 26, 2008, 04:39:50 AM »

They do have an enormous computer room, and lots of CDs and DVDs.

Deb
That's the crazy thing about our library as well.  All the aisles of books are pretty empty with people, but there will be a line to use the computers. 
 wacko
Oh well, more roaming room for the creature.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

Right now I'm reading Catch 22. I can't decide if I like Heller's writing style, but some of his stuff is so funny I have to read it out loud to my hubby & daughter! After reading reviews which reference this book when comparing another to it, I decided I really should read the original. I'm a huge patron of used book stores. Our library here really leaves a lot to be desired, if you like to read anything except "chick lit" and anything on Oprah's reading list. They do have an enormous computer room, and lots of CDs and DVDs.

Deb

Catch 22 ranks as one of my favourite novels. Brilliant satire and screamingly funny. Have you met the soldier in white yet?   
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: April 26, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »

That's the crazy thing about our library as well.  All the aisles of books are pretty empty with people, but there will be a line to use the computers. 
 wacko
Oh well, more roaming room for the creature.

The problem isn't the absence of people, but of books. They cleaned out all of the "old books" a few years ago, and never replaced them. They will get a book in if you fill out an order form, but books are one thing I hate to wait for when I'm in the mood to read one. They only had one Oscar Wilde book (Dorian Gray), a couple of Steinbeck (East of Eden & Grapes of Wrath), 2 Somerset Maugham books, no Proust, very little Hemingway, you get the picture. Now, if your taste runs to Danielle Steele, you're in luck. Sigh. Lots of roaming room, but no reason to roam.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: April 26, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »

Now, if your taste runs to Danielle Steele, you're in luck. Sigh.

It's bad enough that few people read books, it was real sad though when I realized most people are reading stuff like this.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »

Yeah, there is a lot of junk on the shelves of the libraries, unfortunately.  I got into audiobooks a couple years ago for my drivetime, and 9 out of 10 of the a-books at our library are crap like Danielle Steel or some other sub-par rag from the NY Times best-seller list.  They have a "classic" a-book section that is really small, but I did get to go through a few good ones that they had.  And the strange thing is even the huge library downtown in Fort Worth has  a lousy selection of a-books.  They have a TON of old ones on cassette, but they seem to not have upgraded the CD sectoin very well.  They do have a great music selection and just about every book you could ever want to read though.  And if they don't have it, the UT library in Arlington normally will.  I think I only bought one book last year and I read about 50. 
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »

Catch 22 ranks as one of my favourite novels. Brilliant satire and screamingly funny. Have you met the soldier in white yet?   

Duck, have you read Closing Time yet? I just found it (at a used bookstore--our library didn't even have Catch 22) and picked it up. I'm about 1/2 way through Catch 22. I can't read it without laughing, which makes it a bad choice for quiet venues!

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
robv

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2008, 11:39:07 PM »

Duck and Deb,
I have to  +1 Catch-22. One of the neat things about this thread is it's like a trip down memory lane with references to Kurt Vonnegut etc  (one of the favourite authors of my youth). I remember reading Catch-22 when I was ~17 and just loved it, funniest book I'd ever read and a short time later the movie came out and I was so excited to revisit the book through the movie and was really disappointed with the movie.. I realized at that point that although movies are fun the medium just doesn't compare with the printed one.. for me at any rate.
Cheers,
Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: April 27, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »

I realized at that point that although movies are fun the medium just doesn't compare with the printed one.. for me at any rate.
Cheers,
Rob

I think the only movies I have liked  slightly more than the books have been "Princess Bride" and "Stardust." Usually the movies are a letdown directly proportional to how much I loved the book!

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »

I found that one in the "classic" section of the library last year.  I've said it before here, but that was the worst book I've ever read.  Very few books do I consider a complete waste of my time, but that was one of them. 

I've heard a couple other folks who have felt the same way about The Stranger. Are you familiar with the historical background of that novel? People who read it today often don't understand the historical signifigance which, once one understands the situation in which it was written, is quite important. The fact that he was found guilty of murder at the end would have completely shocked most of the readers when it was first published and the seemingly detached manner of the "writer" was intentional and had great impact due to his not mentioning, at any time, the occupation.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »

Novalis, the 'philosophy' was intersting but I don't really know if the writing was all that. Perhaps it was more psychology than art.

I realized at that point that although movies are fun the medium just doesn't compare with the printed one.. for me at any rate.

I sorta agree, what makes a book good usually can't be captured in movie format. There's no narrator to give insight to what the characters are thinking - among other things. But there are some great movies that would make poor novels.

eksjo

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2008, 03:22:35 AM »

Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Steelers and the NFL
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2008, 05:10:02 AM »

Mistaken Identity; Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope by the families of Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak. 
the true story taken from the headlines of these two families ordeal with mistaken identity of their daughters.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: April 27, 2008, 06:09:59 AM »

I've heard a couple other folks who have felt the same way about The Stranger. Are you familiar with the historical background of that novel? People who read it today often don't understand the historical signifigance which, once one understands the situation in which it was written, is quite important. The fact that he was found guilty of murder at the end would have completely shocked most of the readers when it was first published and the seemingly detached manner of the "writer" was intentional and had great impact due to his not mentioning, at any time, the occupation.
I didn't/don't know the history of the story, and I don't know that much about the author, but I just found the story completely uninteresting and thoroughly pointless, which was probably the point in some ways given the author's personal philosophy.  I guess I just didn't get it, but that's ok.  No harm done either way. People like what they like and don't like what they don't like.  I don't "get" Bob Dylan either, but many folks do.  And the beat goes on.....
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »

Creature - I could help you get Bob Dylan.
Deb - I have read Closing Time and everything else Heller's written in hopes they'd come up to the level of C-22. Closing Time is much different kind of book and unfortunately it's actually nothing like C-22. Good as Gold is his next funniest story, I suppose. He becomes more like Philip Roth in his other books. Maybe of more interest to Jewish readers than me.   
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

Deb - I have read Closing Time and everything else Heller's written in hopes they'd come up to the level of C-22. Closing Time is much different kind of book and unfortunately it's actually nothing like C-22. Good as Gold is his next funniest story, I suppose. He becomes more like Philip Roth in his other books. Maybe of more interest to Jewish readers than me.   

I've read a couple of reviews that say the same thing. Some authors are able to delight me time and again, and some have only one book... I'll probably read it (or at least start it) mainly out of curiosity. I've tried to like Philip Roth, but couldn't manage it. My favorite Jewish authors are Chaim Potok, Herman Wouk and Leon Uris. I've read quite a bit of them.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »

I've read a couple of reviews that say the same thing. Some authors are able to delight me time and again, and some have only one book... I'll probably read it (or at least start it) mainly out of curiosity. I've tried to like Philip Roth, but couldn't manage it. My favorite Jewish authors are Chaim Potok, Herman Wouk and Leon Uris. I've read quite a bit of them.

Deb

Try Saul Bellow. If you liked C22 you will love Henderson the Rain King.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »

I'm open to that.  Hit me.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: April 27, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »

I'm open to that.  Hit me.

Alright here's how we'll do it. You tell me your five or ten favourite songs and singers/groups. Since I have everything the man ever recorded, I will design the perfect 10-15 song personalized Bob Dylan CD and send it to you. How's that sound? We'll need to exchange email and addresses on the message forum. 
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: