books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Finished:
The Road: Cormac McCarthy.
have to go to the, to be read shelf, for my next pick.
not certain what it will be.
maybe Ian McEwan, maybe an old John Irving...
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx

I'm now going thru Clapton's autobiography.  And also "The Chinese Economy: Transitions and Growth" by Barry Naughton.  Last week, I finished "Here Be Yaks", about a lengthy trip to Mt. Kailash in western Tibet.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

just started "Deception Point" by Dan Brown.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Just finished:

The Great Divorce and Mere Christianity

I thought I'd read a title or two by Lewis, but I might be stuck on him for a while.  I really like his style. 

Today I'm reading, Real Writing with Readings and book on Microsoft Word 2007.
" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

I just bought "Twenty Thousand Roads." It's a biography of Gram Parsons.

Jim

I've been meaning for years to get into Gram Parsons, but I've yet to do it. Maybe this year. 

I got stuck on Mere Christianity and read it twice.  I really enjoyed it. 

Right now I'm trying to read Perelandra by CS Lewis.  It's part of his Sci-Fi stuff and so far I really don't like it, but I'm going to give it a few more chapters. 

I also read a book called 90 Minutes in Heaven by a guy named Don Piper.  He says he was dead for an hour and a half in a car crash back in 1989 and had an unusual NDE.  It was interesting, but the title was a bit misleading in my view.  He wrote very little about the actual NDE, but the book was really all about his recovery from the accident.  I felt that the book could have and probably should have been about half as long.  That book's been out for a while, but I was late to the party. 

I read 'One foot in Eden' a few days ago, it was entertaining. The writing was simplistic and the ending was a little over the top but it would make a really good movie.

For the second time, I just finished, "Up in the Old Hotel" by Joseph Mitchell.  What a great "must read" classic!
And to follow "the creature"'s lead, I too am a reading C.S. Lewis piece, "The Problem of Pain."  Of course, it's facinating, because it's Lewis, but it certainly isn't a "quick read."
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

2 really opposite styles and content of books: Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and the Bible's Book of Acts. :wacko:

When God stood up, a Christian response to AIDS in Africa ~ Jim Cantelon
2007 L-03RE
2003 Yamaha F-310

Just started "Inside Delta Force" by Eric L. Haney.  It's about the creation of the first special operations counterterrorist group in the 1970's.  Man, those guys were tough.
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Just finished "Grizzly Years" by Doug Peacock and "The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth" by E.O. Wilson.

Currently reading "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks.

Finished 'The Sun Also Rises'

I think this was my least favorite Hemingway novel. It was good don't get me wrong but it wasn't much more than the account of a group of people vacationing in Spain... or maybe I missed something but I'm not one who reads just to see what happens either. I love his writing style though. He writes alot of dialogue for the characters but doesn't come out and tell you what they're thinking, which is how you interact with people in real life; you know what they tell you but not what they're thinking.

I have no idea why but I just started reading Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller.  He is the same guy who wrote Blue Like Jazz, which I both loved and hated.  It's really strange, because I do not like much of what he writes about, but I just really like the way he writes it.  Weird. 

I'm also going to read Clapton's autobiography next.  I've heard great things about it.  We shall see. 

jeremy, I've wanted to get into Hemingway, but just never have.

Still not done with "The Problem of Pain", but it is amazing--I'm almost there.  I'd definately recommend it, especially to a C.S. Lewis fan.  I have the Brothers Karamazov, and The Double/The Gambler by Dostoevsky (Pevear & Volokhonsky translations), coming in the mail this week!   :smile:
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

I finished yesterday "The Amalgamation Polka" by Stephen Wright, an interesting an strange novel set during American Civil War.
I realized I don't know so much about that war, so I ordered  Fletcher Pratt's "A Short History Of The Civil War: Ordeal By Fire".
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

I'm just finishing "The Yiddish Policeman's Union", by Michael Chabon.  A somewhat weird & quirky book, but worth reading, for sure. Reviewed in the NYT about a year ago.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

Quote from: the creature on February 12, 2008, 11:47:35 PM
jeremy, I've wanted to get into Hemingway, but just never have.

Just started "For Whom the Bell Tolls"  and just finished "Islands in the Stream" for the second time.  Hemingway is good stuff.  He grows on you.  Give "Islands" a try creature...it was published after Hemingway's death, disjointed plot divided into 3 parts (almost like novellas).  You can read it intermittently and come back to it without losing the plot.  I really like it.

Another good one to have around is "The Weight of Glory" by Lewis....collection of his essays....good stuff if you like "Mere Christianity"

Justin
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")