books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm currently reading Clapton's autobiography... I'm about to start the "Cream" chapter!  :smile:

There's some really interesting stories about his childhood/early life, and how he started rising to the top, and all the people he met along the way. Apparently he crossed paths with a pile of rising stars while he was starting on the rise himself... like The Stones, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac etc.

Pretty interesting stuff indeed!
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood

I'm about half-way through with Inventing a Nation by Gore Vidal.  I should have trusted my gut when it told me to skip this one.  I'll finish it, simply becaue I hate not finishing a book, but it's so full of left-leaning spin and jabs at the current administration that I can barely take it.  This kind of book is exactly why I shy away from most contemporary history books.   

parnassus on wheels; Christopher Morley.
it was my grandfather's copy--printed in 1947.
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx

creature, I'm thinking about checking out some 'Don DeLillo' you mentioned. I looked on Amazon, his most popular novel is about 9/11, I don't think I wanna read about that, what do recommend?

I also might check out 'Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics'; I may be too dumb for that one though.

"Tibet, Tibet" by Patrick French, for the second time.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

Quote from: the creature on December 29, 2007, 01:16:19 PM
I'll finish it, simply because I hate not finishing a book...

i was of this mind set for many years. but sometime within the last year or two i decided that finishing a book i really disliked was taking time away from either reading a book that i might really like, playing guitar, motorcycles, or any other mind expanding activity.
it was a tough habit to break, but not one i regret breaking.

i keep a book list every year; date started, date finished, or date shelved. every once in a while i'll go back to a shelved piece and pick up where i left off. i'll give it a chapter or two. if it flows for me, great. i keep reading. if not, back on the shelf so i have time for laying guitar, motorcycles, or any other mind expanding activity.
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx

Quotebut it's so full of left-leaning spin
I wonder since we've been so inundated with right-leaning spin that the truth might appear leftish..?

Jeremy - I've been a big fan of Don Delillo for decades the one that got me hooked was "White Noise", notables are Players, Mao II, The Names etc. Underworld is a standout too but it's a big commitment. I haven't read 9/11 yet but I'm sure it will be an interesting read.
:cheers
And Happy New Year
Rob
L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical

robv,

Certainly your characterisation does occur amongst some people, but I do not think ANY educated person would accuse Gore Vidal of being conservative.  Further, I doubt anyone (himself included) would deny his being liberal.  the creature is a thinking man, and exercises discernment accordingly.

all,
I see nothing wrong with labeling the truth of a books content, as long as there is no malicious intent.  We cannot begin to debate or constructively participate in dialog with other points of view unless we are clear about that which we espouse.  I often wonder why we (rhetorically) fear this act.

:thumbsup

Don't pollute our thread with pollitical content!

I know we don't want it locked.

Thanks robv, White Noise is the one I'm thinking about reading.

QuoteDon't pollute our thread with pollitical content!
True, I apologize for the rant, this thread isn't about politics and is too important to be locked for an indiscretion. You will like White Noise it is one of his shorter works but is dripping in satire and is pretty funny and thought provoking. What impressed me was the quality of his writing.
Rob
L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical

Great discussion....

I won't get political, but I'll only make one point to rob.  If you read many of my posts, you'll see that I don't like spin in either direction.  At this point, I don't even care if I agree with it, I don't want to hear it.  I like to read the events that occurred in history and about the people that were there.  That's about it.  I don't need constant stabs to the current administration (or constant praise for it either) to help me better understand the American revolution.  Vidal seems bitter and angry in his writing style, and if not those extremes, at least extremely unhappy and that's something that I don't enjoy at all. 

jeremy --- I've not actually read any of Don Delillo, but I know a guy who, based on what I know of you from your writings, seems like he'd be a lot like you, and it it seems like you guys would read some of the same books. Both of you have a very creative way of expressing yourself and you remind me of him, even though I don't really know you "for real".  Make sense?
:bgrin:

Quote from: the creature on January 01, 2008, 01:57:12 PM

jeremy --- I've not actually read any of Don Delillo, but I know a guy who, based on what I know of you from your writings, seems like he'd be a lot like you, and it it seems like you guys would read some of the same books. Both of you have a very creative way of expressing yourself and you remind me of him, even though I don't really know you "for real".  Make sense?
:bgrin:

yep, I got ya. Well maybe I'll read your semi-recommendation and if it's good I'll recommend it to you. I need to read something out of my usual 1860-1960 classics.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 31, 2007, 07:14:27 PM
I also might check out 'Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics'; I may be too dumb for that one though.

:thumb I had that book in my hands just yesterday as I thumbed though my books in storage. Ended up bringing Maturana and Varela's "Tree of Knowledge" home.

Korzybsky's (Sp?) stuff about "the map is not the territory" still holds up. But I find it generally easier to read Gregory Bateson's commentary on that stuff.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 31, 2007, 07:14:27 PM

I've been reading The Korzybski "Collected Works" for the past year. Wow, it's quite a doorstop! Even bigger than "Sciene and Sanity".

You're plenty smart to read "Science and Sanity", just be sure to read all of the introductions. Korzybski gives a really good primer in the introduction to the second edition (contained in the newest, 5th edition). Korzybski's ideas helped rewire some really horrible semantic habits I had aquired over the years.

As a clinician (I work in the mental health field), I truly wish that "Science and Sanity" was still being taught in colleges like it was back in the days when a B.A. or B.S. had any value.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I took little fingers' advice and gave up on Vidal.  I'm about to dig into a 2-volume set containing Franklin's autobiography and his Way to Wealth.  I've pretty much decided to put Franklin's autobiography on my annual reading list, as I have the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 

On a side note, over the Christmas holiday break I found myself dabbling into CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia again.  I get side-tracked on my reading pretty easily for some reason and these books are great fun for me. 

But I've got a pile of books sitting in a corner, many of them have been there for a year or two, that need to be read and I'm determined to get through them this year.  I've got 3 volumes of great American short stories, a book of old Irish folk tales and much history to work through. We shall see. 

Maybe we can keep this thread going through 08 as well.  That would be fun.   

QuoteBut I've got a pile of books sitting in a corner, many of them have been there for a year or two, that need to be read

I do the same.  And sometimes I start a book and quickly lose interest, then go back to it a year later and find it wonderful.  Go figure!

BTW, Creature: did you see my PM to you?
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

I looked for 'White Noise' at my local library. No go. It probably doesn't help the book selection that 80% of the people in my city are illiterate(that may be an exaggeration).

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 07, 2008, 07:00:27 PM
I looked for 'White Noise' at my local library. No go. It probably doesn't help the book selection that 80% of the people in my city are illiterate(that may be an exaggeration).
I'm not sure about your state, but in Texas we have something called the TexShare program, which allows a person access to other local libraries in thier respective county, but it also allows access to most local university libraries, and even some seminary libraries.  This program has been most helpful to me in my quest for hard-to-find books/media.   Check out what your state has available.  Many times there are wonderful programs that are available, but lots of folks never know about them. 

bjstings, yes, I did get your PM a while back. Sorry for not saying so earlier. 

Just finished:

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (again)
Legends, Lies and Cherished  Myths of American History by Richard Shenkman
The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis

Currently reading:

The Boy and His Horse by C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Next up:

The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton