Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you come from a musical family?  (Read 303 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »

Who do u get your musical talent from?
Who else in your family plays guitar or something else?
Dave
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »

I'm the only loonie in my family who plays an instrument,though my father thought that he would take up the guitar as a way to bond with me when I was 8.Other then that mostley bankers in my family tree plus a few artist.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »

My “talent” such as it is, is an ability to withstand the endless repetition required for me to learn a piece without getting bored.
Probably be a stretch to refer to this as a “musical” talent.
Ingemination- it’s a “gift”.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »

From my entire, and extensive family on all sides, there is only myself and one niece that play any musical instruments.  Two out of ~50 or more is a very conservative estimate...

George
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »

Neither of my parents is musical, but all my siblings are. Two are pros in the sense, they make a decent living at it.  The other travelled around the world and a big part of that was music (but no money).

My sister sight-reads like a player piano, with feeling.  I sang one of my originals to her while we were on a noisy ferry ride on the way to see a distant relative. Hours later, we arrived and after dinner, she cleared the junk on the piano. She sat down and said, "Why don't you sing your song for Uncle Frank?". Before I could reply, she started to play a complete and beautiful accompaniment to the song she had heard only once for the first time, on the ferry.

I'm the black sheep with no formal musical training or education.

About 10 years ago I visited the graves of my Father's siblings. I didn't meet them in life and I know almost nothing about them.  The modest grave markers were bereft of words, just the name and date of death. But every one of them had a few tiny musical notes engraved in the stone. There were no surviving members of the family who could tell me about that.

Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »

Neither of my parents or my two sisters play a lick. On mom's side though, look out! Several aunts, uncles and cousins are or were quite musical, including both grandparents. We used to have these amazing family hootenannies 50 years ago with a houseful of instruments and singing...they were a joy! That got me started with the bug at age ten and 51 years later here I am, still enjoying playing whenever and whereever. On dad's side...I have no knowledge of a single musical instrument. Nowadays, I've a son who is an incredibly talented guitar player out of five kids. A daughter played saxophone in school but hasn't in years. Another son has a guitar but doesn't play much at all.

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:53 PM »

Of course. I belong to the biggest musical family of all. Mankind. Or if you're an admirer of the Canadian P.M. Peoplekind.        
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:18:41 AM »

I belong to the biggest musical family of all. Mankind.

My answer to this is (censored).
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »

My answer to this is (censored).
Mike

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:44:30 AM »

Let me make myself more clear....
(censored), and if you don't get that, then well..... (censored)
Mike
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »

Let me make myself more clear....
(censored), and if you don't get that, then well..... (censored)
Mike
I do not get it.  Please explain.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 01:12:58 AM »

Well, I don't know what Mike said but I like it. 
Melodeous

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »

My pop was a harp player in a Brooklyn street corner band as a kid in the late 20's, early 30's, busking for pennies during the Great Depression. Otherwise, no one in my extended family is remotely musical. Both my sons play and score.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:59:19 AM »

No.
Mike
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 05:49:51 AM »

I was adopted, so no genetics come into play.  But my adoptive parents were both musical, my mother a pianist and my father sang.  So when I showed very early signs of being obsessively musical, my mom didn’t hesitate to stick me into violin lessons. And by early signs, I mean completely fixated as a small child with the piano and my toy xylophone and the sounds of plucking rubber bands that I had stretched over the handles of the kitchen cabinets.  Different thicknesses and lengths and tensions made for different tones. 

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »

My maternal grandmother was a trained pianist, but I’m the only person I know of on either side who plays a stringed instrument.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: