Ovation Legend eats Larrivee for lunch...

Started by tragocaster, June 20, 2006, 01:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: roknroll on June 20, 2006, 03:21:22 PM
  My biggest question is this...why would he come into our forum, just to give us his opinion of ovations, and how they are so superior to larrivee?  Comparing a Larrivee to an Ovation, is like comparing creme bru le to an old dirty sock.

I think this cat has a severe case of blind loyalty.  :ph34r:

Actually, based on the post, I rather think it's someone telling his buddies, "Watch how much I can stir up and how many responses I can get to one post!" Classic troll behavior.

At least, to me that's preferable to thinking that he actually believed what he posted...  :GRN> :GRN>

I actually think this guy is for real.  I have a '90 Ovation Elite.  Better than a Larrivee?  Nah. But I have played some ovations that blew my Elite out of the water.  Are THEY Better than a Larrivee?  Who knows?  Assuming one can disregard the plastic back, I think they stand up OK.  They sure are reliable. I pulled mine out of the closet to do a hot hunmid ourdoor show last weekend. Haven't touched it in 6 months or so.  It was still in tune and ready to go.  I don't think I've changed the batter but once if 15 years!  Old Reliable still rocks!  And quacks  :GRN>

I think the guys just proud of his guitar, and maybe a bit naive about posting here.  :WNK>
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

this whole thread is stupid, but interesting in a strange way. its like not trying to look at the carnage left by a trainwreck as the police direct the traffic by. you know you shouldn't look, but you really want to....and you probably will.

it reminds me of when i was kid and we'd say, "my dad caught a fish and it was thiiiiis big!" or, "my dad can beat up your dad". or, "i betcha mine's bigger..."

trolls do not bother me. i personally find them very entertaining. so, tragocaster, if you're a troll, welcome aboard. i will get hours of enjoyment out of reading your trollish rhetoric. if you're not a troll, welcome aboard.

btw, i LOVE ovations. i also LOVE larrivees. i also love spagetti, but i don't order it when i go to a burger joint...

I am round in front,Ovation is round in back.This combo makes it very hard to keep on my lap. :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Personally....

I think this guitar would make ANY Larrivee sound like whale S*** sitting on the bottom of the ocean.. in MY opinion of course

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLUE-CUTAWAY-Acoustic-Guitars-W-CASE-GUITAR-PACK_W0QQitemZ7424363319QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Much better price too   :rolleyes:

I would love to smash one of those, Darrell.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I own an Ovation Legend (although it's on consignment locally), and so I occasionally check in at the OvationFanClub...I've got to say, it's a great group of people, just like here.

So I read his thread (essentially the same) over there, and thought about responding, but didn't bother.  I think one other person stuck up for Larrivee, then someone complimented their Martin and other wood guitars, etc. Basically, there wasn't too much Larrivee dissin' - just some general Ovation crowing by a few faithful disciples.

Like I mentioned above - my Ovation's for sale.  (I tried recently to sell one of my Larrivees, and I'm glad it didn't sell; it's such a versatile guitar with great woods, build and tone!).

Let me balance his comments with my own story about Ovation - not to dis, just to offer my experience:

I bought my lefty black Legend (ordered it, actually; try finding a lefty Ovation somewhere!  They arent' even making the new LX's left-handed, and they've been in production for about two years...  :angry: ) around two years ago.  at around six months old, I noticed some cracks on the ebony fingerboard, running from the highest frets back to the 11th fret. 

Finally sent it back to Ovation.  They "fixed it" by putting some ebony dust and glue into the cracks.  Less than a year later, all the cracks are reappearing, so I send it back again.  This time they put on a new fretboard, a much lighter piece of ebony than the original (on a black guitar), and the set up at the nut was horrible! My fingers hurt after five minutes of first position chords because the strings were so high in the nut slots...this was also true when I originally got the guitar new.  After playing my Larrivees exclusively for the three months while the O was back at "the mothership," I just can't adjust my ears to the Ovation sound again. 

If anyone here is interested in a near mint lefty O Legend, let me know...

:WNK>

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Even if our new found friend is a Troll his behaviour doesn't bother me nearly as much as the shameful insults and barbs thrown his way.

Lighten up folks.
Ron

Ron I'm sorry I won't mention being round anymore :<>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hey Mr. 4000+ posts, I have never seen a post from you that was anything but genuine and well meaning.

OK, maybe some of those mentions of body parts and functions were cutting it a little too close... :SHK>

Ron

I wonder why we don't just let this kind of behavior die a natural death by not responding to someone who doesn't respond to any of the posts on HIS thread?   :angry:  I feel silly even responding to folks who start threads and don't have the courtesy to respond to at least some of the participants.   Cheap thrills for trollogaster I guess.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

This is a post by a TROLL!  I'm laughing my butt off that there are responses to it....where  is a moderator when you need one?  DELETE THREAD......click

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Steve  :GRN>

Still, it was worth it for UnclRob's post.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: SteveK on June 20, 2006, 06:49:11 PM
This is a post by a TROLL!  I'm laughing my butt off that there are responses to it....where  is a moderator when you need one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Steve  :GRN>

That's right, Steve.

I went slumming and checked out the Ovation forum. This guy posted the exact same thread over there. Why are you people responding to this nonsense?

If his ear tells him his ovation sounds better than Martins, Taylors, and Larrivees he's in sorry enough state already. Plywood guitar, plywood ear.

Ignore him. He'll take his plywood and go away.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/non-cgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010337

This post deserves not one, not two but three "standing ovations".  No really. 

Now all the membership paleeze place doughnuts carefully between your teeth, stand up and start-a-clappin'.......

Nobody?  See, no reason really to get excited.

Good night.

Quote from: bob_d on June 20, 2006, 06:58:55 PM
That's right, Steve.

I went slumming and checked out the Ovation forum. This guy posted the exact same thread over there. Why are you people responding to this nonsense?

If his ear tells him his ovation sounds better than Martins, Taylors, and Larrivees he's in sorry enough state already. Plywood guitar, plywood ear.

Ignore him. He'll take his plywood and go away.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/non-cgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010337

We HAVE to reply. Ovations are the ABSOLUTE BEST canoe paddles that I've EVER HAD!

GEEZER
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

Do all trolls play Ovations?  Are all Ovation owners trolls?  Probably neither, but we haven't had anyone lighten up the forum for a few months so we were probably overdue.

E. Shoaf

Quote from: Ratishna on June 20, 2006, 07:21:14 PM
Do all trolls play Ovations?  Are all Ovation owners trolls?  Probably neither, but we haven't had anyone lighten up the forum for a few months so we were probably overdue.

E. Shoaf

yeh this is a fun thread. no one freak out like this is a big conflict.

Ovation fun facts:
Did you know Ovations are heat resistant up to 500 deg F (260 deg C)? You can use it as a portable BBQ pit.

Now this is entertainment ... sooooo much better than TV... why do I feel warm and fuzzy all over???
Did I mention I love saran wrap.. it eats glad wrap for lunch, or did I eat my lunch.... no, I know, he who hesitiates is lunch.... or was it there is no free lunch... man I'm hungry.... I'll check back after a snack break ...