Lowering Action for Fingerstyle

Started by Crunchy Wacko, June 12, 2006, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeah, I'd want to lower that to 3/32 on the low E for fingerpicking.
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

Well   :GRN>   picked up my Elle with the new bone saddle with action at 4/64 on high E and 5/64's on low E.  Gotta say that bone saddle upgrade is well worth it! So much cleaner with wonderfull tone. No fret buzz so far.  I think I'll play it for a few weeks and the guys at 12th Fret says if I want to go a bit lower just bring it in and they will give it a quick shave on the spot. Also had some D'Addarios EJ26  11-52 put on.  It all just adds up to a bucket full of SWEETNESS.

Cheers

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

Quote from: Crunchy Wacko on July 28, 2006, 06:23:08 PM
Well   :GRN>   picked up my Elle with the new bone saddle with action at 4/64 on high E and 5/64's on low E.  Gotta say that bone saddle upgrade is well worth it! So much cleaner with wonderfull tone. No fret buzz so far.  I think I'll play it for a few weeks and the guys at 12th Fret says if I want to go a bit lower just bring it in and they will give it a quick shave on the spot. Also had some D'Addarios EJ26  11-52 put on.  It all just adds up to a bucket full of SWEETNESS.

Cheers

I pretty much went through the same process with my L03R by adding a bone saddle and by having my luthier lower the action to "Taylorlike" in spec.  The changes made great improvements in the guitar with most but not all coming from the bone saddle.  I was on the verge of putting it on the market, but it has really made a very significant difference in tone, and some good improvements in playability, although I am still lusting over a cedar/mahogany shortscale guitar. 

I wish there was an L03 model that was short scale and 1 and 3/4 nut.  That's my x-mas wish list.

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

I actually prefer the action a little high - around .125 at the 12th. There are time when I like to "dig in" and snap that 6th string. Also, I think as you get better at picking - you get way more aggressive, I know I do!

I use the D's custon lights also, I've got a set on the dread too. Great strings that I've used for years. I do break 11's though quite often, especially with the colbalt plated propicks - so I just keep spares around!

:mellow:

06 Maple Blossom
06 00SP
04 00028NB
88 D28

Quote from: pickyfingers on July 30, 2006, 05:22:18 AM
I actually prefer the action a little high - around .125 at the 12th. ...

Some fingerstyle players do like it higher.  There's an absolutely brilliant fingerstyle player here who has his action so high most people can't play his guitar.  He plays hard.  And it's on a Grit Laskin.  The best acoustic I've ever seen.

Most people like it lower though.

Hey Crunchy Wacko,

You don't mention if you had a pickup installed as you wanted?
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

For those looking for a nice tool to take these measurements, take a look at this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/String_Action_Gauge.html

I bought one of these and it is very useful if you like to do some of your own work.  It really enables you to take an accurate measurement with ease.

Quote from: Gemnoc on August 06, 2006, 11:10:32 AM
Hey Crunchy Wacko,

You don't mention if you had a pickup installed as you wanted?

Hey Gemnoc

Yes, i had a LRBaggs Ibeam  Passive pickup installed. Without a preamp it played a bit thin on a Ultrasound Pro-100 Amp but i entend to get a LRBaggs para DI and a Ultrasound AG30 in 2 or 3 weeks.

Cheers

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

You must use a good quality cable, and keep it as short as possible, when using an IBeam passive. No longer than a 6 foot cable into the PADI should be OK.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on August 09, 2006, 08:35:45 PM
You must use a good quality cable, and keep it as short as possible, when using an IBeam passive. No longer than a 6 foot cable into the PADI should be OK.

Do i need a short cable even with a preamp? 

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Yes, you need to keep the cable short between the guitar and the pre to insure that the capacitive effect (directly proportional to length) of the cable doesn't roll off the low frequencies. The very low level of signal travelling this cable is also susecptible to noise and interference.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on August 10, 2006, 05:28:29 AM
Yes, you need to keep the cable short between the guitar and the pre to insure that the capacitive effect (directly proportional to length) of the cable doesn't roll off the low frequencies. The very low level of signal travelling this cable is also susecptible to noise and interference.

Thanks Ron...so i am assuming a good quality 10ft from pre to amp is ok?

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp