A Moment of Silence, then I'm going to seriously maim someone!

Started by dbirchett, June 09, 2006, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteI checked tracking and when it got to Phoenix, they sent it back to Florida! I guess someone in Phoenix said, "We can't deliver this mess!"

Don I'm sorry for you man.

Remember that the squeeky wheel gets the grease!  Don't let them get awat with all this!

Steve  :GRN>

Well, I was over at Don's house last night and got to play his replacement (if you can call it that) for the D-18, the D-09BW. Man, that is one NICE guitar...plays & sounds like a dream! I'm going to have to send my Gibson to Uncle Rob (not FedEx, though) to have him work his magic on it. Then MAYBE, I'll have a nice guitar like Don's... :SHK>

Speaking of seriously maiming someone, the knee doctor sure did a number on him! But he's getting around some already, and is in good spirits. It'll be good to have him better and back to band rehearsal!

wow. this makes me uneasy being that my new larrivee is supposed to be delivered today...but its UPS. UPS once lost one of my G&L basses, but that is about as bad as I've had it in the shipping department. I had to go down to the local UPS facility and litteraly help them find it. good luck in the claims process. my heart goes out to you.

Oh wow! That totally sucks. I can only hope the Fedex driver gets hit by a UPS truck. I'm praying for the safety of my L09 now. Gulp.

I can't believe this. The remnants were set to be delivered today. At 2:40 P.M. local time they posted: "Reason Delivery Not Completed 1. Unable to deliver shipment, returned to shipper."

The danged thing is going back to FLORIDA. And I am the shipper. Unbelievable!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

That's twice it was heading to you and they shipped it back, right?

Have you talked to anyone on the phone at FedEx about this?  Either about the delivery and/or the damage?

Just got off the phone with an adjuster. She was pleasant but very business-like. The upshot is that they have agreed to cover the loss up to the declared value (which I severely underdeclared, but that was my fault) so that is really as much as I was expecting. She also informed me for future reference:

1. That, assuming a guitar is fully insured, that they would only cover to the lower of the cost or the declared value.

2. That, with a guitar over $20 years old, they only cover up to $100.

One of the main reasons they are covering it in spite of the limitations is that on the shipping invoice I declared the contents as a "1966 Martin D-18 guitar." They asked me if it was worth more than $400 and I replied that it was and declared a value of $1200. So I am stuck with my declaration but then that is all the excess coverage that I purchased so I guess that it is just my fault and I have to live with it. I established the value through an appraisal from RPG and by going to G-Base and doing a search for all D-18s between 1960 and 1967 and then citing the listed prices, which ranged from $2500 to $4K.

By the way, they did not try to pull the improperly wrapped crap on me but I did describe in detail how I prepared it for shipping. All she asked is if it was in a hardshell case.

Given those limitations, even if FedEX convinced me that they would handle the guitar with kid gloves, I  would not use them again to ship a guitar, particularly a vintage one.

They will be picking up the guitar on Tuesday and should be cutting me a check soon after. I have not had the stomach to unwrap the guitar since they returned it to me. All that I have seen are the pictures from unclrob. I doubt that I will. I would rather remember it as it was. I miss it a lot.

By the way, the delay in processing the claim is mostly due to my delay due to the recovery from the knee replacement (which is going very, very well, thank you very much).
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Just a couple of comments on this,
I am glad that they are going to do something.  Many times it seems they would rather spend 10 times the money on lawyers to NOT pay a simple claim that was their fault.
I agree, they will never see any business from me personally, cause I don't like what I have seen and heard.
Third, glad the knee is doing good.  Let it heal completely so you can use it to kick someone in the (well you know),
ricks

Goodall
Martin
Collings
Larrivee

since were on the subject...my friend needed my assistance in helping him deliver packages for FedEx yesterday.  He had 16 stitches in his knee from a soccer accident, and in fact is now in the hospital because it's infected.  Anyways, he drove to the locations, and I delivered the packages...In the truck that we were driving, you literally HAVE to walk on packages in order to find the right package.  Sure you can oraganize your packages at the beginning of the day, but there will still be a few loose packages that get thrown around when making turns and what not.  There's no avoiding it.  I also can gurantee that most of you would probably crumble into a corner and suck your thumbs if you had to trade in your cushy office job for a fedex job.  It's a tough job.  Me and my friend tried our hardest to take care of the packages, but it's not always in the drivers hands if a package was mutiliated or not.  I had to deal with crazy -CENSORED- rotweilers, shady neighborhoods, and sometimes the deliverys weren't charted on the maps so we spent lots of wasted time searching for homes.  Oh yeah, and ALL delivery services have there really bad accidents.  UPS, USPS, DHL and FedEx.  It's all a gamble.  Read the fine print.  Don't insure a guitar for HALF it's value.  Take before and after pictures.  The fact that this driver you speak of repackaged the guitar, is quite unnerving though.  That's just rediculous.  Maybe if they paid the delivery drivers more they would take the job more seriously.  FedEx drivers get paid jack-squat.  You can all go back to your Air conditioned cubicles now.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on August 18, 2006, 08:57:11 PM
since were on the subject...my friend needed my assistance in helping him deliver packages for FedEx yesterday.  He had 16 stitches in his knee from a soccer accident, and in fact is now in the hospital because it's infected.  Anyways, he drove to the locations, and I delivered the packages...In the truck that we were driving, you literally HAVE to walk on packages in order to find the right package.  Sure you can oraganize your packages at the beginning of the day, but there will still be a few loose packages that get thrown around when making turns and what not.  There's no avoiding it.  I also can gurantee that most of you would probably crumble into a corner and suck your thumbs if you had to trade in your cushy office job for a fedex job.  It's a tough job.  Me and my friend tried our hardest to take care of the packages, but it's not always in the drivers hands if a package was mutiliated or not.  I had to deal with crazy -CENSORED- rotweilers, shady neighborhoods, and sometimes the deliverys weren't charted on the maps so we spent lots of wasted time searching for homes.  Oh yeah, and ALL delivery services have there really bad accidents.  UPS, USPS, DHL and FedEx.  It's all a gamble.  Read the fine print.  Don't insure a guitar for HALF it's value.  Take before and after pictures.  The fact that this driver you speak of repackaged the guitar, is quite unnerving though.  That's just rediculous.  Maybe if they paid the delivery drivers more they would take the job more seriously.  FedEx drivers get paid jack-squat.  You can all go back to your Air conditioned cubicles now.

I really like this forum. It has, up until recently been a very nice place to visit. I really don't want to start a flame thing here. I'm glad you are here and enjoy your energy. I wish to politely ask you to consider the judgemental and hostile tone of this post.

mostly I am truly glad for don that the knee is coming around and his new guitar is a good one - especially since unclerob gets some some of the credit.  also have to breifly say jimmyd +1.

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

+1.Personal pride needs to come to more people.I've worked as a trash collector once and dropped some garbage and was going to leave the Boss/driver stopped the truck and made me pick it up.before getting back in the truck all he said was have some pride.I DO ever since then.No if ands or but's.
Don I'm really sorrry that you had to go thru this and I'm glad its over,you didn't need this kinda crap.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

pretty bitter sweet resolution but at least FedEx paid up.  i hate to imagine that yahoo who smashed the guitar might still be out there plying his idiot skills on others. 

good to hear your knee surgery recovery is going well.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

What a heart breaker... glad they paid something on it and you can move forward. I know it does not come close to the loss of a 35 yr. friendship. :<>
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Geez. That is hideously horrible. Not only does FedEx trash the guitar, but hardly responded in a professional way. I can only think that time will heal (OK, do I sound like some stereotype?), but I sure hope that they compensate you enough to search for another grand old guitar that you will love.

Schnitz

OK, Finally got the check. They told me it would be sent the day after they picked up the carcass. They picked it up on Tuesday. The check wasn't prepared until Friday. It wasn't mailed until Monday and finally received on the following Friday. We are most decidedly not amused.  :angry:

On a more positive note. FedEX did deliver an amplifier on Saturday (Acoustasonic). The driver was very professional. Even helped me open it up and pull it out of the box to inspect before he left. No damage there.

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar
Don't know what these little guys have to do with the post, I just like them
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

and the band played on    :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :guitar
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Wow, that is awful.....and the fact that they tried to cover it up just adds insult to injury, if that's possible. Good luck on recovering the financial aspect, and godspeed on mending the psychological trauma.
- - - - -

"There's no one to beat you, no one to defeat you, 'cept the thoughts of yourself feeling bad."

-Z

Another long dead thread brought back to life after almost 4 years.   :thumb

Some names I haven't seen in a while ... wonder where life has taken them?
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Such a multi-tragedy.

I read a case study on Lexis-Nexus some years back comparing Fed-Ex with UPS. Both mostly did a great job, but here were far more such problems with Fed-Ex. Analysis was that UPS owns their trucks and use union drivers who just do the job. Fed-Ex uses 'Owner-Operator' independent contractors who have to buy their own trucks. So time is money. They sometimes were found to jettison pcks that would take too long to deliver w/o other payload to compensate them.

I try to use UPS .
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden