A Moment of Silence, then I'm going to seriously maim someone!

Started by dbirchett, June 09, 2006, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Ratishna on June 10, 2006, 09:31:03 AM
In a case like this, even though another '66 D-18 could be found it wouldn't be THE D-18 that was played, carressed, bonded with, and enjoyed for many years.  You can't get that back, you can only start over with another instrument.  It really is tragic.

E. Shoaf

yes. I imagine its like losing an old friend...

I'm not sure I would even try to replace it with a similar instrument if one could be found that was superficially the same.. tough call....

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thank you all for your words of support. I am still numbed by this whole thing. There is no way this is going to come out good.

I have not had the guitar appraised. I do not even have current pictures of it. When I shipped it, they asked me if it was worth more than $400. I said, "Oh yeah!" They asked what it was worth and I told them $1200. I don't know what I was thinking. I probably wouldn't have put as high a value on it as what Rob has since told me but I knew to go higher than that.

I do not have a current appraisal on it.

I am afraid that I am just royally screwed!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

If Fedex had admitted to the accident upfront and instigated procedures for you to claim....... then that would be that: They would have made their mistake,  and paid due compensation.
BUT, a person or persons at Fedex tried to cover up, or at the very least, avoid personal responsibility for destroying your property. It's possible that in doing so, either they personally, or Fedex itself (if the cover up of the accident  was officially sanctioned by someone in authority) could have committed a criminal offence.
I'd get legal advice.

Don, I am very sorry that this happened to you and that you are probably going to be aggrivated further in settlement negotiation with FEDEX. You are at a real disadvantage because this is an emotional issue for you. For them it's just business. Hang in there buddy. Hope you can get enough of a settlement to put you in the market for a replacement.

Quote from: jimmyd on June 10, 2006, 12:06:38 PM
Don, I am very sorry that this happened to you and that you are probably going to be aggrivated further in settlement negotiation with FEDEX. You are at a real disadvantage because this is an emotional issue for you. For them it's just business. Hang in there buddy. Hope you can get enough of a settlement to put you in the market for a replacement.

It might be good to have your wife (if she can be rational about this) or someone else deal with them on this. As hard as it will be to be civil, etc., you probably will never get to talk to the person who did this, and the people you do talk to will be more willing to do something the nicer you are.

Prayers and best wishes.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Totally awful. 
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Really sad to hear that ...

I just flew from Tokyo to Vancouver with 2 guitars in the cases and other than one of the cases getting a couple of marks, they arrived safe with me (I was able to gate check them). 

I can't imagine how you're feeling right now, but keep playiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: jimmyd on June 10, 2006, 12:06:38 PM

Pretty good advice, Deb. But I need to handle it myself. 25 years as an Administrative Law Judge have taught me to keep my emotions pretty well in check.

Probably the biggest problem is that I will be going into the hospital for surgery in a week (knee replacement).

At least I do have a couple of very nice guitars to play in the interim. (Anyone have a blackwood D for sale at a reasonable price?)
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: wyodeb on June 10, 2006, 12:24:17 PM
As hard as it will be to be civil, etc., you probably will never get to talk to the person who did this, and the people you do talk to will be more willing to do something the nicer you are.

But Rob WILL get to talk to the guy who did it. It was the route driver who decided to try to cover up the accident and just deliver the package.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on June 10, 2006, 02:59:25 PM
But Rob WILL get to talk to the guy who did it. It was the route driver who decided to try to cover up the accident and just deliver the package.

Jim

Yeah, I'd be much more afraid of Rob right now than me. He may just put that belt sander to some therapeutic use!  ^_^
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Geeze. Sorry for your loss
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Fedex broke a guitar I bought a Tacoma Koa. they never did pay to have it fixed I fannaly gave up. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Larrivee L-03
Seagull Artist cameo flame maple
Tacoma Koa Jumbo Jk50 ce
Ovation custom balladeer
Alvarez Aj60-12

I'm sorry for your loss, Don.  I know it's nearly irreplaceable, but hopefully you will receive some monetary compensation from Fedex.
2005 Larrivée  LV-03
2010 Larrivée  00-03 Forum IV
2011 Larrivée  RS-04
2013 Larrivée  D-40

LoL, the how's the idiot (who will be fired) gonna try to explain the treadmarks?
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Quote from: Calvin on June 10, 2006, 10:16:46 PM
LoL, the how's the idiot (who will be fired) gonna try to explain the treadmarks?

Well, there is a problem with someone getting fired. It was sent FedEx Ground and the drivers are not employees of FedEx. Each driver is an independent who owns his route.

Now, let's see if FedEx claims that the package was okay when they gave it to the FedEx Ground driver, so it is not their responsibility.

Jim

I really feel for you Don. This is another example of why I REFUSE to allow anything to be shipped to me using Fedex. Those monkeys are unbelievable. One of them actually threw a rather heavy package up onto my second-story deck where my small dog likes to nap in the sun.  I also have many nice breakable planters on it. Fortunately my dog was not hurt and he missed the planters. They once delivered a new Larrivee on the wrong day and just left it sitting on my porch even though my signature was required. Recently a driver knocked on my door and was INSISTENT that I accept a package for my neighbor even though I don't know her and said I didn't want to be responsible for it. He was obviously upset that I wouldn't agree to this. :angry:

I'm amazed this company is still in business.  I wish you the best in getting this resolved.
My current lefty Larrivee guitars:
Larrivee Parlor-03MH
Larrivee OMV-03RE
Larrivee DV-03R

They are actually responsible for delievering to your door, because that's what the parties paid for.  So if it gets damaged, they are responsible.  If they subcontract to another party, they are responsible for the actions of that party.  Kind of like many computer programmer, cancer researchers are actually on contract work, but the software/drug company cannot defer responsibility to the individual person if something goes wrong.

Yes they  can still sue the individual that worked for them for not being responsible, but then the end users can only see the bigger company as respnsible for bringing a supposedly quality product.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

I have had nothing but problems with FedEx (Ground and Express).
Now when anything is shipped to me I refuse to have them transport it, even if the shipper uses them as their primary shipper. I'm sure there have been problems with other carriers but FexEx has consistently had a problem every time they deliver. Someone explained that working conditions were much better at other carriers.

Sorry to here about your 1966 Martin D-18 those 60's Dreads have a good sound.
The Dude abides.

Don, I hesitate to bring this up because you probably aren't thinking about replacement right now, and if it's inappropriate I apologize in advance, but I noticed that Folkway in Guelph, Ont., has both a '57 and a '67 D-18 in stock right now.

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I see two different 1966 D-18 models for sale at Guitar Works in Evanston, IL.  For what its worth...

E. Shoaf