Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Moment of Silence, then I'm going to seriously maim someone!  (Read 26841 times)
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:02:09 PM »

I have had a lovely 1966 Martin D-18 that I sent to unclrob to do some minor repairs. The original pickguard had shrunk some, contracting and slightly cracking the wood. A common problem. There was a little pick wear around the soundhold that needed a little touch up for protection. Again, a situation common to most Martins or Flattops of this age. There was a 1/4-1/2" section of binding missing from a previous accident/repair and there was a small case ding where the case lid had fallen on the top. So off to Talahasee I send it via FedEX ground.

This guitar just rang out when strummed. Played exceptionally well. I had it since 1970 and loved it. I bought it from my best friend and he had bought it from one of the largest music stores in the area. They said that it was the only used Martin D that they have had.

Sooo ... I just talked to Rob and some FedEX SOB has driven a truck over my D-18 and reduced it to kindling! There were treadmarks on the box. Then they tried to rewrap it and left out most of the bubble wrap. The case (turquoise thermoplastic) was shattered! Wood was falling out without the case being opened. And they delivered it that way, just leaving it on Rob's doorstep.

I am sorry but I am somewhat beside myself right now. I feel like I have lost an old and trusted friend.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:03:19 PM »

oh man.....that is TERRIBLE....so sorry to hear that.   I can't imagine what I'd be feeling.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:07:06 PM »

:<>

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Nephidoc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing worse than having someone abuse something so near and dear to your heart.
Just remember to keep breathing.

Stan

CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 11:23:14 PM »

My heart goes out to you!!!  I can't imagine what you are feeling right now nor would I ever want to feel that way!!!  This is by far the worst case of shipping abuse I have ever heard.  I don't know if I will ever be able to ship another guitar without fear and trepidation.

I hope you can make a claim for the monetary value, certainly will never claim the sentimental value.  I wish you all the best!

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »

Ouch. I'm really sorry for you! I hope FeDex will pay the full value of the guitar. angry

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:32:17 PM »

That's bad.  :<>

I am really sorry to hear stuff like this.

Ron

Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:00:46 AM »

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience.    :<>

Hope they do right by you,  as well as can be. 

phill

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 12:09:14 AM »

don,

this loss is really something that only guitar players could really relate to. guess it would seem pretty silly to some folks, but i think the folks here truly feel for you. i'm really sorry. some folks would just consider a guitar a hunk of material, but to us who make music on them, they really do become part of us. hopefully this will all work out for the good and you'll get another nice guitar to replace your old friend.

screw fedex. angry
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »

Words fail. :<>

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 12:15:13 AM »

i wish i could do something to cure the anguish on this one.  this is one of those obscene examples of just how bad some people operate a business.  i would suspect though, that the person responsible for this calamity was trying to cover up hie/her screw up without the knowledge of the managers but who really knows?  in any case please keep us posted on what steps FexEx is taking to handle this situation.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:25 AM »

db,

What wyodeb said.

http://www.musicins.com/

Over at the Acoustic Players forum (Little Brothers place)  Heritage is a sponsor, insuring only musical instruments.  Might be a worthwhile look for folks shipping guitars.  Seems like shipping companies are notoriously lousy settling claims.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »

a 1966 D-18 is going to be very difficult to replace with another that one would be satisified with. Its not like you can run down to every local music store and buy one.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
dodge

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 01:08:02 AM »

sorry to hear about that, thats just criminal fedex should be made to pay for it, even though I know it was irraplaceable.  angry
bob_d

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 01:53:09 AM »

To just leave it on the doorstep as if no one would figure out what happened...

I'm so sorry to hear about your guitar, Dbirchett. Your D-18 was, for all intents and purposes, irreplaceable!

I know people who've worked for FedEx for many years. FedEx used to be a company with high standards. Now they'll hire anyone that can figure out how to put on a uniform. Many employees now are part-timers that really just don't give a s***. And please, don't even get me started on FedEx Ground. "Owner-operators" who are FedEx only in name. The long time FedEx employees are FedUp but there is very little they can do other than keep working and keep their mouths shut until they can, hopefully, reach retirement age.

The idiot who destroyed your guitar should be fired along with the idiot who left it on Unclrob's doorstep and the manager that probably told them to rewrap your package to try to cover up the damage. But the truth is, nothing is likely to happen to anyone and the same idiots will continue to destroy more packages.

Even though the price is prohibitively high, you're probably better off shipping FedEx Air if you're going to ship FedEx. Less time in the system and more long-time genuine FedEx employees give you a better chance at a successful outcome. Plus, the price is so high they actually handle the packages more carefully to foster repeat business. But still, in today's shipping environment, there are no guarantees.

Unfortunately, the other shipping alternatives are hardly any better. You put your package in harm's way no matter which carrier you choose.

And as if losing your precious D-18 wasn't bad enough, now you have to go through claim-hell! Be persistent and don't hesitate going up the FedEx chain of command. Good luck, Dbirchett.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »

Don as you know my wife and I are LIVID.Wewill have 2 sets of pix for you ASAP.My desire to KICK someone from here to NJ and back is overwelming.Get a lawyer thats half pitbull and the other half guitarist and KLL,KILL,KILL. angry

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jessz1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 05:00:56 AM »

USPS ruined a guitar of mine once and it was nothing like the relashenship you had with that Martin.... Words can not discribe this. I hate to say it but this is just the start of a horrible process.

angry fed ex  angry

Larrivee OM-03BW
Martin D-41 Special
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Fender Jimmie Vaughan strat
Recording King RK-80 Banjo
Mid seventies Marshall amps
Peavey 5150
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about this, Don.  My heart goes out to you. I hope you get some form of justice. 

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 06:27:20 AM »

Someone is gonna get fired!!!! :GRN> :GRN> :GRN>

LoL, I thrive at the misery of idiots that try to pass themselves off as a regular member of the community.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »

a 1966 D-18 is going to be very difficult to replace with another that one would be satisified with. Its not like you can run down to every local music store and buy one.

In a case like this, even though another '66 D-18 could be found it wouldn't be THE D-18 that was played, carressed, bonded with, and enjoyed for many years.  You can't get that back, you can only start over with another instrument.  It really is tragic.

E. Shoaf
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: