Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Piece Saddle ?  (Read 1044 times)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2004, 07:26:16 PM »

About 13 years ago or so, a fellow I was working with told me he was an amateur luthier. I asked him if he would be willing to do a tune-up & fret job on my '79 Guild D-35. He did a great job on the action. He wouldn't take money in payment so I gave him 4 expensive show tickets as a present.

But something he did that I have never seen before or since is, he cut the saddle in two pieces. The three bass strings are on one piece of saddle and the three treble strings on the other half. He told me that act helped balance the highs and lows better. Maybe he knew something about the tone on that old Guild which certainly isn't up to Larrivee standards.

What y'all think about that two-piece saddle?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Aznchef

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 03:45:24 AM »

I think they look really cool!

A friend of mine owns a Lowden, and they have the split saddle design. It's said to be a more precise way to get good intonation than with a regular compensated saddle.

Does make UST pickup installation a little more complex since you need to set the height of 2 saddles instead of just one.

But they do look cool! =D
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 12:32:24 PM »

I hadn't ever seen a Lowden before. So just used Altavista to search and find a few pix on the net. They look like good ones. I see they use 1 piece of saddle for the 4 bass/wound and another for the two treble.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 01:52:08 AM »

some Japanese makers have been doing that for some time now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: