What's Your Favorite Acoustic String???

Started by Busker, May 27, 2006, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Favorite Acoustic String For Your Larrivee??

DR
6 (2.5%)
Elixir
60 (24.9%)
D'Addario
67 (27.8%)
Martin
27 (11.2%)
Ernie Ball
2 (0.8%)
Dean Markley
10 (4.1%)
Cleartone
9 (3.7%)
GHS
4 (1.7%)
Pyramid
1 (0.4%)
Fender
0 (0%)
Gibson
0 (0%)
Black Diamond
0 (0%)
John Pearse
20 (8.3%)
D'Angelico
3 (1.2%)
Savarez
0 (0%)
Newtone
25 (10.4%)
Other (please explain)
7 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 237

JP 80/20 phosphor bronze lights
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: the creature on June 02, 2006, 12:00:00 AM
i almost exclusively use john pearse mediums in pb

the john pearse seem to grow dull way too soon, but once you pass that point they carry a pretty interesting tone for another couple of weeks. its really weird, its like those stings have different stages of sound with some transition stages in as well.

After trying a number of different strings on my OMV-03 I switched to John Pearse strings about 3 months ago; I doubt that I'll ever change.  The tone is strong and pure with good projection.  I find that the strings don't "color" the tone, but let the sound of the guitar come thru.  I agree that they are not the longest lasting string, but also, like the above poster, kind of like the more mellow sound that they attain.

My USUAL favorite strings are John Pearse PB lights or mediums...On Larrivees and one of my Taylors.
My Lowden Liked DR Rares best and my Taylor XXX-RS prefers Elixir PB lights.
I just try a few different brands during string changes and always seem to come back to the same favorites.

Now, to complicate matters, Martin Sp's almost always sound good...they just don't last as long as any of the others.
That, I think, is a matter of body chemistry. I can turn Martin strings black in a half hour.

Confusing, isn't it?

Dan
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

Hi,
I love Martin MSP 4100 on my Larrivee L-09
and DÁddario EXP 12 on my OM-19
The Martin strings sound warmer and give more midrange.
I tried cleartones, but they are too clear!
Elixirs sound cold.
John Pearse 12 tend to be a little muddy in the base.
I hope that helps a little...
:smile:
Ernst

Larrivee C10 1991
Larrivee OM-019 1992
Larrivee L-09 1979
Martin D42 2005
Taylor 910 1996
Gallagher Ragtime Special 1991
Lyon & Healey Parlor ´20s

My OM-1 came with Elixir Nanoweb light guage.  That's all I've ever used on it.  I like the Elixir's because changing strings isn't one of my favorite tasks. 

I've even switched to Elixir's on my PRS Custom 24 Electric.  I don't think they sound as good as other brands but the long life make's it worth it.

My overwhelming favorite strings are the Elixirs. I use either the mediums or lights on my acoustic guitars, and my next favorite strings are the DRs.  I've tried the Martins, D'Addarios, DRs, Markleys, Cleartones, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment, and none of them have impressed me or replaced  the Elixirs as my first choice.  I like the sound and action of the Elixirs  and the fact that they last a long time.  The amount of play time I get out of them more than makes up for the price difference.  So far, every time I've tried a different brand of string, I've been disappointed and gone back to the Elixirs.  I've got a set of Adamas lights I'm going to try, based on a recommendation.  I have only tried one set of Cleartones (medium) on a Taylor 710, and as soon as I put them on, I was very disappointed, but I have a set of Cleartone lights I am going to try.  When I got my Larrivee D60, there were Cleartones on it and they sounded absolutely dead.  I immediately put on Elixirs and the guitar came alive.  So the Cleartones Larrivee now uses have not impressed me. 

Oh, good! The string debate! Here goes: I used to use ElixirLight because they lasted so long, even though they didn't sound as good as Daddario or Martin or John Pearse uncoated PB or 80/20, but I broke g strings like mad and I gave up and went back to uncoated. I tried D'Addario XL coated, but it still didn't sound right. So I use EJ, SP and 80/20, depending on how dark or bright I want whichever guitar to sound, except on my Larri, which sounds pretty good with the Cleartones.
I keep a chart on string changes, as I have 9 guitars in rotation, and I write notes on what each string sounds like on each guitar.
Using coated strings, I get about 36 hours of play time and with uncoated, about 12 hours. I use 12-53 (54) most of the time, except on my 12 string, and there I do use Elixirs, as they're less jangly than Martins, and that Elixir light for 12 is 10-47, with a 9 on the high G. Wanna talk picks?

Doug

1913 Gibson A mandoloin
1922 Martin 2-17
1933 Gibson L-00
1945 Martin 000-18
1959 Martin 00-18
1964 Gibson B-45-12
1973 Mossman Tennessee Flat top
1982 Martin HD 28
1994 Seagull S-6
2002 Larrivee LV-19

Quote from: the creature on June 02, 2006, 12:00:00 AM

the john pearse seem to grow dull way too soon, but once you pass that point they carry a pretty interesting tone for another couple of weeks. its really weird, its like those stings have different stages of sound with some transition stages in as well.

I agree with you Creature. I recently also tried Pearse Silks and thought I had finally found the right string, But a week later it sounded like a different guitar and then I adjusted but it's not the same.

So far the strings I've liked and will go back to are the Martin Clapton Lights. They lasted six months.
If it sounds good, it is good.

D'Addario

EJ-16's (lite) on my OM and Jumbo and EJ-17's (medium) on my Collings dread.

And I somtimes replace the Lite high E .012 with a medium .013.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Thomastik-Infeld SPectrum Bronze 12's on Cruz OMPW, 13's on the Larrivees. Sound great and last the longest.

I find Martin SP and Elixir NanoWeb working best for me, though I haven't tried the PolyWeb strings yet.... I'll put them on the next time and hear the difference!

:donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :coffee
2007 L-03RE
2003 Yamaha F-310

I just put a set of DR Rare medium lights on my SD-60 and can't wait to get a chance to get back to the guitar store and get another set of JPs, as these DRs have way too much ring for this guitar.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

Cleartone 12-54 on the Mcpherson, ocassionally Elixer's (That's what it came with, took some getting used to) 80/20 bronze Martin when I need bite, phosphor bronze for more mellow. D'addario 11's when I'm doing lead work with a lot of bends and vibrato. I'll go heavier if I'm tuned to DADGAD.
Larrivee - P10BZ
Larrivee PV09
Larrivee OMV60
McPherson 5.0 Adirondack/RW
Martin - 000-40S #22, 1972 D35
and a "few" others

John Pearse New Mediums.
:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Northwood OM-75
Larrivee LV05-e
Technics p50 Digital Piano
Unison Pro Alto Sax

Let me preface my question by saying that I spent 16 hours traveling almost a thousand miles on business yesterday and I might be over looking the obvious...but, how do you vote? I see the results but, I can't figure out how to vote :wacko:
Ruben

Well, I put a set of John Pearse New Mediums on my guitar about a month ago. I havn't picked up my L-09 until tonight. I did some fingerpicking and I really wasn't that impressd. Not enough "bite" for me.  I am used to playing with 80/20 strings though so my ears might be biased.  Granted, I have only taken my L-09 about 4-5 times since I have owned it.  Maybe the guitar needs to open up some more.
I have a Gibson 6 string that uses Daddario EXP's exclusively. 

Mark

I'm using Rotosound PBs on my primary guitar and like them a lot.  I'm in flux with my SD-50 - the next strings I'm trying are a set of DR Sunbeams.  I've used NewTones in the past, so I'm hoping for a similar feel.

Ken

I primarly use Martin SP lights...i havn't put them on my larrivee yet...i use them on my Takamine all the time...Any suggestions for a D-09? I like light strings and i play a lot of open chords. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions....
Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC

I have convinced myself that strings to acoustical guitars are "the" most important feature related to tone and playability outside of the build design of the instrument. The gage, wind, temper, coat etc. determin the color of the tone even more so than the saddles, nuts, tuners etc. With the many available, we can brighten dark tone woods, emphasize lows or highs and generally develop the tonal balances our individual tastes demand. String threads are probably the most common listed on acoustic forums. Personally I use different gages on my different guitars based on the overall tone I am trying to achieve for that particular instrument and what I style I usually play on it. My DV-09 has a Bluegrass set 12, 16, 25, 36, 46, 56. And my Taylor T5-12 string is a light acoustic 10-47. My Granada has D'addario 80/20's med. 13-56, but I do use lights if I use the Cleartones in place of D'addario on it. Very subjective compromises were made in my choices. I actually prefer Martin marquis mediums on my Larrivee, but I play my DV-09 a lot and blow through those quickly (their Sp's just don't do it for me, the Cleartones seem to be my choice for longevity, but a bit mellower so I choose the bluegrass gage to accentuate the low but maintain the playability on the highs. Strings are a pretty personal thing for each player (IMHO).  :blush:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065