Poll
Question: What's Your Favorite Acoustic String For Your Larrivee??
DR - 6 (2.5%)
Elixir - 60 (25%)
D'Addario - 67 (27.9%)
Martin - 27 (11.3%)
Ernie Ball - 2 (0.8%)
Dean Markley - 9 (3.8%)
Cleartone - 9 (3.8%)
GHS - 4 (1.7%)
Pyramid - 1 (0.4%)
Fender - 0 (0%)
Gibson - 0 (0%)
Black Diamond - 0 (0%)
John Pearse - 20 (8.3%)
D'Angelico - 3 (1.3%)
Savarez - 0 (0%)
Newtone - 25 (10.4%)
Other (please explain) - 7 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 236

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Acoustic String???  (Read 11251 times)
Sabatini

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2006, 01:01:06 AM »

I wish I played well enough that it mattered.  So far, I'd be stupid to blame any bad sounds coming out of my guitar on the strings.

Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

paralentor

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 04:09:54 AM »

Hmm, not a single vote for Black Diamond.  I was thinking of ordering a set of
Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings Light N600LB from my favorite online
guitar string site suncreekmusic.com (they ship fast).  But perhaps I'll try Ernie Ball.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 04:14:57 AM »

Is Black Diamond still around?  I remember them from when I was a kid, and I always think of them when I hear Norman Blake's "Church Street Blues," but I don't think I've seen them in over a decade.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »

Well, to answer my own question:

http://www.blackdiamondstrings.com/

I wonder why I don't see them up here anymore.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Busker

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 05:07:05 AM »

Elderly sells them...

Thats where I got the idea to put them on the list

2006 Larrivee OM-03Rosewood
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2006, 06:33:14 AM »

Interesting that Larrivée puts Cleartones on their guitars now and not a single vote for them? 

I personally don't like them at all, tried them on my L-05MT and I have little midrange tone and a thumpy bass.  With my L-19 rosewood a loose thumpy bass and a brassy sounding treble?

Martin fingerstyle strings sound OK but don't last long, Martin SP+ 80/20 don't seem to bring out the depth that Elixir Nano's do on all my guitars.  My L-19 with Elixirs sounded so wonderful and now wth SP+'s I compare it to my L-03R with Elixirs 80/20's and the L-19 does not sound as good.  So I'm going to stick with Elixirs they last forever and sound good on all my guitars played fingerstyle.

I may give the Elixir PB's a try.

Steve
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 10:18:13 PM »

I was at Steve's Music this afternoon and bought a bunch of different sets just for fun.  I picked up sets of Clapton's Choice, John Pearse Medium Lights, Dean Markley Alchemys...and, lo and behold, a set of Black Diamond mediums that the guy said had been sitting there for ages.

D-03RE
D-03-12

eighthnote

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »

I've tried many strings, all being light gauge, with my very low set-up, for fingerstyle play.  Although the D'Addario strings, produced a good sound, they only lasted a week.  I guess my chemistry kills strings, more quickly, than some other folks.  All of the other brands, ie: DR, Elixir, Dean Markley, etc., didn't produce "that sound" I was looking for.

I tried the Martin strings, last, only because I had it, in my head, that their strings, would prove to be, just as much a disappointment, as their guitars, are to me.  Boy, was I wrong!

I firmly believe, that phosphor bronze, sounds best, on the Larrivee OMs, and as soon as I strung my "Larry", OM-09, with the Martin SPs, [MSP4100s], I produced "that sound" I was looking for.  The treble strings, are bronze finished, as well, which not only gives the steels, a longer life, for me, but creates a really nice look, when all six strings, are that same, pretty gold color.

Now, Martin also makes a Marquis string, [silk wrapping at ball end], but is only available, at retailers, in the 80/20.  I knew, Martin made the SP/Marquis, but you will have to either special order them, through Guitar Center, or order them online.  The SP Marquis strings, gives you the best of both worlds....that rich, clear, but dark, phosphor bronze tone, while giving your bridge, a little added protection, and a look of class, from the traditional silk wrapping, at the ball end. 

Martin SP Marquis - MSP2100 - Light - .012 - .054 [Phosphor Bronze]

Tip:  Not all Guitar Center stores, will allow you to order, just a few sets of these strings, at a time.  My really nice, Accessories Manager, up in Nashua, NH, placed a special order, for a full boxed set of 12, gave me a great discount, and took the time, to shrink-wrap, each box of strings, individually, to boot!!  [To reduce the chance of oxidation, before I got a chance to go through the entire set].

Sharon

Larrivee OM-09

~~Music is all about a movement - and if it creates movement, in at least two people, one being other than yourself, then it was all worthwhile, to have given it life...S.E.H 05|12|2007~~
j

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »

Martin SP Phos/Bronze 12.5's.

John A.
Midland, TX

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her front and back over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.
Winnipeg

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 02:19:36 AM »

I have been trying to find the ideal string on the OM-03R which is tuned to DADGAD almost all of the time. Have tried lots of gauges and brands. I found light gauge strings of all brands did not have enough volume, while mediums such as D'Addario EJ17 and Martin SP felt quite stiff to play. I just put on a set of Martin SP fingerstyle mediums and was blown away by how good the sound was and how easy they were to play. They feel like lights but sound like mediums. These are definitely the best I have found for playing fingerstyle, particularly in this tuning.

Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:14 AM »

I use John Pearse mediums on my SD-50.

I've tried quite a few different brands and gauges over the past year and NOTHING compares, even comes close, to the tone I get from the John Pearse mediums.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
Pilgrim

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2007, 04:31:30 PM »

I checked other.  So far I like Curt Mangan Phospher Bronze Medium Lights (12-54) the best (so far) on my OM-05.  I've also tried the same gauge uncoated Phospher Bronze strings from D'Addario, John Pearse, and GHS with good results.  I didn't notice a great deal of difference between any of those brands on this particular guitar, but the Mangans are as good or better than the others and seem to last longer.

Interestingly, the sound of the Mangans on my D18GE wasn't as good as several other strings I've tried on that guitar.  Just another example of what sounds good on one guitar may not sound so great on another.  As a contrast, I've found PB D'Addario and John Pearse strings to sound generally good on everything I've put them on.

OM-05, D-03
thistle

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »

Newtone Masterclass 12-54's for all my 6 strings, Masterclass extra lights on my 12 string.

I have used Newtone Heritage strings on a vintage guitar I used to own and liked them as well.

~Lynn
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »

I've played around with different strings but always come back to the Newtones. I have been using the 12-54's, but just ordered a six pack of Mediums from Robin at Guitar Gallery. My 000-50 and Guild JF-55 are anxiously awaitng getting them installed at the next string change. Problem is they last so long it could be another month or so before they really need it.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »

I always use the D'Addario PB, either EJ16 or EJ17, as the benchmark. I have been more adventurous lately and have been able to find better matches for some of my instruments.

The biggest surprise was trying a set of GHS True Medium PB (TM335) on my DBJC. I had previously tried D'Addario coated PB lights, EJ17s, Martin Fingerstyle PB mediums, John Pearse New Mediums, and John Pearse Slack Key. It was a toss up between the JP New Mediums and the Martin FS. However, the GHS are a wonderful matc for this particular instrument. They have a very nice feel and are much more musical than the other sets. Longevity is uncertain, they have been on 9 days and still sound great.

I won't stop trying a few other sets out, but for that guitar I have found a new benchmark.

Ron

djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:30 PM »

John Pearse Mediums. They sound great, last a long time, and I can afford them!!

2nd choice: Martin Marquis phosphor bronze.
But I also have a lot of D'Addario's 80/20 Bronze, since they turned up in the bargain box of a local store...6 and 12-string phosphor bronze sets.

3rd choice: The bulk strings from Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz. I assume they're GHS manufactured.

Oh, I tried some Markley Vintage Bronze, and the seem to be outstanding for volume and tone. In fact, I had to put a G onto a guitar, and it rang out louder and richer than the other strings, which were a Marquis set.

Doug J

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »

For my Larrivee P-10MQ:  D'Addario EJ17 (PB mediums)
For my Martin 000-16SGT: D'Addario EJ16 (PB lights)
For my Martin LX1: D'Addario EJ17
For my Washburn D19SDL: whatever lights are lying around the house, currently Fender PB .11's.  I also have a couple of sets extra light "Alice Folk Strings" someplace.

I tried the Cleartones on the P-10MQ (in fact, they're still on) and really wanted to like them, but they just seem to be missing something.  They don't sound bad, but the just don't grab me, either.  So, sooner or later, off they'll go for the D'Adds.  BTW: a set of new strings will usually last me a few months, maybe three, before they begin to deaden. My sweat must be soothing to them or something.  The initial brightness will drop off after 2 days or so and then there's virtually no change for a long time before anything sounds off (usually the 3rd/G string or the 4th/D string). Then they all come off & the cycle starts again.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
clavynine

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:13 AM »

Medium gauge Elixirs.
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »

I use elixer Phos bronze on my D60. A little pricy but they last and have a real good punchy sound.

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
woody b

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »

I used uncoated D'addario PB's.  (EJ16,  EJ17,  EJ19)  What guage I use depends on the guitar,  and what kind of shape my fingers are in at the time.    I usually get 2 or 3 weeks out of a set but sometimes I can kill a fresh set with one gig.   I've got 5 acoustic so I go through alot of strings.  I'd like to have strings that last longer,  but they're not very expensive,  and they're not hard to change.   I don't like the tone or feel of any coated strings I've tried.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: