Poll
Question: What's Your Favorite Acoustic String For Your Larrivee??
DR - 6 (2.5%)
Elixir - 60 (25%)
D'Addario - 67 (27.9%)
Martin - 27 (11.3%)
Ernie Ball - 2 (0.8%)
Dean Markley - 9 (3.8%)
Cleartone - 9 (3.8%)
GHS - 4 (1.7%)
Pyramid - 1 (0.4%)
Fender - 0 (0%)
Gibson - 0 (0%)
Black Diamond - 0 (0%)
John Pearse - 20 (8.3%)
D'Angelico - 3 (1.3%)
Savarez - 0 (0%)
Newtone - 25 (10.4%)
Other (please explain) - 7 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 236

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Acoustic String???  (Read 11245 times)
tomcat5

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »

Newtone 12-56. Really nice round tone. Have discovered again why I like my guitar so much :). Closest second would be the Martin Phos Bronze SP strings. They don't last long enough though. Will try Elixer Phos Bronze next. Anyone knows how these compare with Newtones?
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »

I've seen ALOT of people talk about 80/20 strings and I've tried to find out about them, BUT a TON of companys make 80/20 strings. SO my question for you is " What the hell are 80/20's?"

and what company is everybody talking about that makes them?? They seem to be a real fan favorite??

:GRN> THANKS  :GRN>

80/20 has nothing to do with the brand.  It is the % of each metal used to make the strings.  If I'm not mistaken, bronze is made up of 80% copper and 20% tin (totalling 100%) hence 80/20.  Same goes for 85/15...etc.  Something like that...

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »

From the D'Addario website http://www.daddario.com/DADFaqAnswer.aspx?ID=276

Electric and acoustic guitar strings, as well as all of our bass strings are produced by winding a "wrap wire" around a high-carbon steel hexcore wire.  The type of alloy used as the wrap wire determines the tonal quality of the strings.  Heres a quick reference guide:
Nickel DAddarios XL strings are made using nickel-plated wrap wire.  Nickel provides great overall tone and sound, and has been the best-selling type of electric guitar string over the last 50 years.
Stainless Steel DAddario XLS guitar strings are made with a stainless steel wrap wire.  Stainless steel provides a brighter, more cutting tone.  Theyre generally used on electric instruments, but can be used on acoustic instruments as well. ProSteels bass strings utilize a specialized steel alloy that delivers super bright highs and deep, focused lows for a distinctive "piano tone."
Phosphor Bronze DAddario Phosphor Bronze acoustic guitar strings are legendary for their full, rich, acoustic tone.  Phosphor bronze provides a warm and bright tone.  We also produce Phosphor Bronze strings for acoustic bass.

80/20 Bronze DAddario 80/20 Bronze (also referred to as brass) acoustic guitar strings provide a brighter tone.  80/20 Bronze strings have great acoustic clarity coupled with extra-bright, loud tone. 

Ron

om4me

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 04:49:03 PM »

Newtone 12-54's are one of my faves.  EJ16's work well, as do Martin SP 12-54s.   I quite like the feel of stock Cleartones; however, the tone seems rather lethargic and is not for me.   The replacement cost of Cleartones are way expensive in my opinion.  Ernie Ball Slinky 12-54's are decent (better than Cleartones imo) when considering the cost of $2.30/set on fleaBay a while back when I had gambled and puchased 10 sets, having not played them previously.   
Sweb

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »

Newtone .010 Extra Light gauge edge out the Martin .010s on my guitars. I have yet to try any other brand/gauge.

While we're at it, I have 2 Larrivees - an OMV-09E and an OO-05. Does anyone own either of these and what strings have you tried? I won't/can't use anything over Light gauge and .012s are even a little heavy for me.
JV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 09:11:39 PM »

I use Pearse phosphor bronze, usually mediums, on my L-03 walnut. I haven't settled on a string for my L-03 mahogany, currently have Elixir phosphor bronze on it.
John
Busker

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »

From the looks of it nobody likes Elixir Strings, BUT everyone has them!!
It looks like D'addario and Newtones are the "HOT" strings

What string is everbody using on there OM-03's ??

2006 Larrivee OM-03Rosewood
centralrush

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 03:29:16 AM »

i need to use coated strings due to my very sweaty fingers.  i haven't found any string that was brighter and as long lasting (for me) as elixers.  i like the polys, and nanos, but the phosphor bronze nano is really working for me.  i tried the d'addario, dean markley, and martin sp strings back-to-back and they sounded DOA compared to the elixers.
suprswd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 03:37:12 AM »

i like the g string.

-YAMAHA FG-04 LTD ($200)
-LITTLE MARTIN LXM ($100+gift)
-1983 SQ SERIES STRAT (gift)
-ROLAND MICRO CUBE ($135)

http://www.myspace.com/suprswd
reppppin.
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »

Switched to John Pearse mediums in the fall and I ain't ever going back to D'Addario.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
rcemech

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »

alright ill speak up.  I like Elixer nanoweb phosphor bronze in a light gauge for my D3 and mediums for the koa parlor, they sound great and have lasted a long time now.  I have to restring my office guitars and I have the same for them.  I used to use the D'Adario ej16's and they sounded good for about 2 weks and then dull again, so im happy with elixers.  You would have to really make a good case to get me to switch at this point.
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 03:15:56 AM »

I like Elixer nanoweb phosphor bronze in a light gauge

I like the custom lights.  I use them on my Larrive 03R and Martin 000-15S.  Lately though I'm wanting more low end on both guitars so. . . .the next string changes will be custom ordered with heavier gauges on the low end (54 and 45) while leaving the remainder regular gauge custom lights.  This preserves the texture and feel of the strings while increasing the projection and boom on the low end.

My second choice of string would be Alchemy GoldPhos lights.

edit:

Oh, hey.  I almost forgot.  My 03R twelve string likes light nano webs.  But I'm experimenting with the wound strings substituting the 7th, 9th and 11th from a set of custom lights (32, 42, 52) for those that come with the set (30, 39, 47).  Heavier gauges on the low end I'm hoping will have the same effect as on the six string 03R.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 03:50:49 AM »

I use Elixir Lights primarily, but use extra lights on one guitar, and switch from Mediums to lights on another.

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
hempomatic

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 01:18:47 AM »

I know that 76 votes isn't a scientific represenative sample, but I have to say I am surprised that Elixirs are in the top spot.  I don't know of ANYTHING as polarizing in these forums as the Elixir debate. 

My personal preference however is Newtones, by a significant margin.  On my Larri J09, I'm using Masterclass PB 12-54. No other strings come close (to my ears) to the combination of balance, tone, sustain, and oddly, longevity.  They also have an unusual characteristic that NO other strings I've tried seem to provide to the same degree, very sweet and detailed overtones from the Rosewood.   On my Mahogany Taylor, they are nice, but not a standout like on the Larri. 

I've been wondering if there is any corolation between string preference and woods. 

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

i almost exclusively use john pearse mediums in pb

but

as of late, martin sp's in medium have been growing on me. the local guitar center usually has them on sale 5 sets for 20 bucks. hard to beat that deal.

the john pearse seem to grow dull way too soon, but once you pass that point they carry a pretty interesting tone for another couple of weeks. its really weird, its like those stings have different stages of sound with some transition stages in as well.

Trent in WA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 05:48:18 AM »

I use Newtone 12-52 (i.e. "medium light") on my OM-03R.  I don't mind the sound of Elixers on it, not even the standard 80-20 nanowebs.  I have a set of PB Elixers I might try next, when the Newtones finally give out.  I've had them on for three weeks and not only do the basses still sound good, the trebles still have some tin on them.   Pretty remarkable for uncoated strings.

I'm always perplexed by the hostility to Elixers.  Acoustic guitars being acoustic guitars and tastes being tastes, it's not surprising that not all strings work for all people and all instruments, but you'd think that Elixers are a vector for bird flu.
emmonsh

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »

i agree with the claptons choice. They sound more alive than pearson and dadd. Also has been a couple weeks , they still soung good. Just ordered some ebony pins for my d-03 and having a bone nut and saddle put on the first week of june, so it will be all set up for mediums. I seen 1 person call them to tinny, but thats not exactly how it sounds on the dread. Has a sort of church bell sound on the trebles and very good bass. together sound great.
Sparkz

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »

Just out of curiosty for you Newtone users... Has anyone actually noticed any difference in the feel of the tension of the strings. I have two sets on order (light and custom light) for my L0-3R. One of my main considerations in addition to the comments I've heard on the tone is the supposed differences between the round core shape and the hex shape and the string tension as a result????
Sparkz

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2006, 05:15:13 PM »

BTW.. right now my vote would be for the D'addario's but I'm looking forward to trying the newtones....
hempomatic

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2006, 12:12:06 AM »

Just out of curiosty for you Newtone users... Has anyone actually noticed any difference in the feel of the tension of the strings. I have two sets on order (light and custom light) for my L0-3R. One of my main considerations in addition to the comments I've heard on the tone is the supposed differences between the round core shape and the hex shape and the string tension as a result????

Yes, I was going to mention that.  I'm using 12-54's and they are MUCH easier to fret than the John Pearse I had on before the Newtones.  The string tension is similar to the Martin SP 11's on my other guitar.  I first noticed that they seemed more pliable when bending the wound strings.  I love getting the rich tone of the thicker strings with less wear and tear on these old hands. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: