L. R. Baggs m1, active or not?

Started by fallenroadie, June 01, 2006, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've pretty much decided to get a Baggs m1 pickup.  I'm wondering whether it is worth getting the active version of the Baggs m1 since I'll be using a Baggs Para D.I. as well.  I'll either be going into a Fishman Loubox or direct into a P.A.  Thanks.

Using an active M-1 with a PARI DI and Loudbox means three preamp stages and two eq circuits.  Nothing wrong with that.  I use three preamp stages myself and it works great.  You'll have to experiment and solve the gain staging issues (you want low noise and optimum gain at each stage).  Having two sets of eq is also not a problem and can provide some interesting choices (ala Pultec).  Still, experiment and be careful here...a little goes a long way.

Obviously, using a passive M-1 will remove a gain stage.  I use one (passive M-1).  It's not the hottest signal and that signal will degrade a bit as it travels to the PARI DI (not much though).  Get a good, low capacitance cable if you go passive.

Double check the impedance specs of he (1) M-1 to PARI DI and (2) PARI DI to your Loudbox input jack.  Make sure they are within operating tolerances (basically, the input impedance should be at least 5 times higher than the output impedance of the prior item).

I have two guitars, one with passive and one with active pickup, (Baggs element active and K&K pure western passive)  both of wich I use with a paracoustic DI.  If I were going to buy another I think I would go passive because I find that the paracoustic gives me plenty of volume.  Why pay extra just so that I can buy batteries later? The thing that gives me pause in my advice is that the active versions of Baggs pickups have volume controll, which is one of the reasons I origionally went with the active Element.  Now, I find that I adjust the volume from the DI and not the guitar, but that's me.  With the limited experience I have, I don't think that the sound changes a lot (just gets louder, ie the "gain" discussion above) but depending on your habits, it might be nice to have the volume wheel right there.  Hypothetically, I like the idea that I could just plug in without the DI in a pinch, but I've never been such a pinch.

Kip
Guild F50R
Larrivee Koa Parlor
give them a listen at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel_music.htm

IMO there's no need to get the M1 active is you're going to use a PADI.   There's no EQ built into the active M1 only gain so the tone is the same.  Your PADI will have plenty of gain for the passive M1