Amp illiterate......

Started by strumminman, May 23, 2006, 07:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have always played my 6 string acoustics without amps or pick-ups. However, I have an S&P 6 I just recently purchased & it has a built in pick-up. I would like to try out this guitar hooked to an amp.

What I need to know is: For singing & playing, what type of amp would I need? I am very new to playing a guitar with an amp, so please give me as much info as possible. Can I play & sing with the same amp? What kind of a set-up do I need? This will just be for home and outside use for now, not on stage or anythiimg like that. Also, what type, brand of amp is best? Any information you can pass on to me is appreciated. I'm just looking for a basic starter sytem here, nothing too expensive for starters, but something that will sound decent. Thanks.  :SHK>

A 2 channel acoustic amp would work well in your case.  Plug your guitar into one and your mic into the other.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Yeah, they make acoustic amps or small PA systems for those purposes.  A lot depends on your budget, and what you're looking for... ex. features, tone, portability, etc.