John Pearse armrest

Started by vespa180, May 19, 2006, 03:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The first arm rest I bought was  more to hide a blemish on a guitar than for anything else. I found the resultant improvement in sound to be a great bonus!
Ron

Where did everyone get their armrests?  from John Pearse or from a middleman?

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: ronmac on May 22, 2006, 01:24:10 PM
What Todd says makes sense.

I don't hear that very often.....

slimline junior armrest is what you will want.....the smallest and thinnest.....no need for any more.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Quote from: Blue in VT on May 22, 2006, 02:25:15 PM
Where did everyone get their armrests?  from John Pearse or from a middleman?

Blue

www.elderly.com
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Hi Blue, you can get them direct from John Pearse or from Elderly.  I'd recommend the Slimline Jr for a parlor, and keep in mind you can shap them to fit pretty easily. I've done it a couple times.  Just pull the double-stick tape off and put it somewhere save (I ordered an extra strip of tape when I got mine), then sand the edge of the armrest to fit.  Round it off when the shape is right, re-apply the tape, and affix to guitar.  You might have to take a scissors to the tape and cut it to fit the new shape.

Tan lines are a fact of life with armrests, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Hope this helps,
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Cool...thanks for the heads up fitness and dberch...the parlor should be here tommorrow....god willing...then I can assess wether this is the best option for this guitar...I'm also gonna have to try to find a hard shell case for it.  I see that elderly has those as well..around $80.  If I purchased both things from them it would put me over their limit ($99) and it free shipping territory...which would be sweet!!!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I use JP armrests on all my guitars. Never had a tan line. Never had an issue removing one (use dental floss...the waxed type, and a thin guitar pick or two).
If your guitar is not a jumbo, use the thinline. For a parlor, use the thinline Jr.
I wound up cutting about 3/8" off the small end of a Slimline Jr. when I installed it on my Larrivee Parlor. I cut it with an Xacto saw and polished it up with 600 grit wet sandpaper after an initial sanding with 120 grit paper.
You can't see it in the photo but there's a standard JP armrest on the Lowden.

Dan

[attachment no longer available]
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

Quote from: dcarey on June 04, 2006, 05:32:33 PM
I use JP armrests on all my guitars. Never had a tan line. Never had an issue removing one (use dental floss...the waxed type, and a thin guitar pick or two).
If your guitar is not a jumbo, use the thinline. For a parlor, use the thinline Jr.
I wound up cutting about 3/8" off the small end of a Slimline Jr. when I installed it on my Larrivee Parlor. I cut it with an Xacto saw and polished it up with 600 grit wet sandpaper after an initial sanding with 120 grit paper.
You can't see it in the photo but there's a standard JP armrest on the Lowden.

Dan

No SP in that photo Dan...no OM-03R either????

I have read this thread and went to JP's site and am now considering one for my guitar.

I really dont like the look of the full-size models, but am really liking the look of the slimline in ebony.

would this be a good choice for my dread? (D-03BW)

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on June 05, 2006, 07:13:37 PM
I have read this thread and went to JP's site and am now considering one for my guitar.

I really dont like the look of the full-size models, but am really liking the look of the slimline in ebony.

would this be a good choice for my dread? (D-03BW)

I bought a slim one with the intention of using it.  I haven't yet used it, and may consider selling.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on June 05, 2006, 09:49:02 PM
I bought a slim one with the intention of using it.  I haven't yet used it, and may consider selling.
hmmm.... pm me if you decide to part with it. I might want to take it off your hands.

Hey if anyone buys an armrest - can you guys record your guitar previous and then after installing the armrest so we how different it sounds?
04 Larrivee DV-03E | 00 Tacoma JK50CE | 08 CA GXi | 08 CA Cargo XS-CE
used to own:
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)