What Are Your 5 Favorite Fingerstyle Cds?

Started by dbirchett, April 22, 2004, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm trying to get some new ideas.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Alex deGrassi - The Water Garden
Tommy Emmanuel - Only
Tommy Emmanuel - Endless Road
Leo Kottke - A Shout Toward Noon
Doyle Dykes- Gitarre 2000
Bob Rafkin - Velvet Hand
El McMeen - Acoustic Guitar Treasures
Clarelynn Rose - The Redwood Sidthe
Franco Morone - The Southwind
Ed Gerhard - Counting the Ways
Laurence Juber - LJ Plays the Beatles
John Fahey - Volume 3 - Dance of Death

OK....I'll stop now. :)  

Orsino:

Please describe the playing style of John Fahey.  I have heard a lot of people speak of their fondness of this artist.  I have thought about buying one of his CD's, but, I wanted to know more about him.

thanks
bino
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Anything by Bert Jansch or John Renborn  
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

bino,
Fahey is considered by many to be the father of modern fingerstyle guitar. Primarily alternating thumb bass. A lot of 12 string. When I get home I'll email you a link to some tunes.

There you go, Tom, making my shopping list longer! ;)
db- a great way to get some exposure to different fingerstyle players is the compilation CD's from Windham Hill and Narada--put many new names on my listening list.

naboz

Aerial Boundaries                     Michael Hedges
Narada Sessions                      Don Ross
Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws    Bruce Cockburn *
Stones                                  Gordie Sampson *
Three Hands                           Don Ross **

Disclaimers  :huh:
* Although not all tunes on these discs are fingerstyle, the tracks that are are extremely strong.
** Anything by Don Ross deserves on this list, but you said only 5 :(

Ron
Ron

Here's my picks:

1. Hot Tuna - Live (Before I heard this I thought you HAD to strum a guitar)
2. Bruce Cockburn - Sunwheel Dance (His first I think. The tone, and feeling, and songwriting are all fabulous)
3. Pat Donohue - American Guitar (All intstrumentals - all wonderful - many styles)
4. Alex DeGrassi - Turning, Turning Back
5. Pat Donohue - Back Roads (All songs with vocals, but Pat is one of the few pickers that can make phenominal picking so much part of the song you don't think about how great the guitar part is)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something: If you like acoustic fingerstylke guitar, whether alternating thumb or 'free' style, you really should check out "American Guitar" by Pat Donohue.  If I were rich I'd offer a money back guarantee. I'm not, but I promise - you wouldn't use it!

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Thanks to all (but please don't let this stop any more from offering their views as well).

David, I went to Pat Donohue's site and listened to an excerpt from American Guitar, the traditional "Freight Train."

Wow, what a talent.

That has to go to my "get list."

Thanks,

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Lawrence Juber: L J Plays the Beatles
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

A second recommendation for John Renbourn.  Just saw him last Friday.  Quite simply a god.

I just got a copy of Laurence Juber plays the Beatles. I have to concur. Great playing but very listenable.  :o

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom and D4ve.

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

1.  John Fahey/Peter Lang/Leo Kottke - Takoma Records
(this is a 3 artist cooection CD with 4 sonds by each artist - It has birds and dragons on the front and looks a bit hippy-ish)
It's a great CD.

2.  Leo Kottke - "Chewing Pine" or "Peculuroso" (older stuff)
                     "In My Shoes"  (newer stuff)

3.  Eric Tinstad - A Sence of Place - (If you find anything that Eric has done with a wind player named Nancy Rumble it is just brilliant music.

4.  Ani Defranco - Out of Range

5.  Patty Larkin - A Go Go (Patty plays a bit of every style but I love her finger stuff, very clever).

Some of the Kottle, Lang and Fahey stuff is old enough that if you vist a good CD store, you'll find lots of "nice price", $9.99 selections.  I've purchased about 8 Kottke CD's for 10 bucks each - all fantastic music and well recorded.

Warning - driving your car and listening to Kottke will make your skin crawl if you don't own a 12 string.  My own crawling skin was cured by a 12 string purchase about a year ago.

Another thing, many Barnes and Noble stores have every title on every CD loaded into a massive MP3 type system, you scan the CD and listen to a few songs with headphones.
I love printing polls like this and then taking the print out to Barnes and Noble and listening to a bunch of stuff and then I buy a few CD's.  It's a great way to discover new artists.

Have Fun,
John

Carry On!

John

I've been listening to this cd called 'Masada Guitars' recently and like it a lot.  Three artists interpret Jewish folk music (from what I can tell): Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot and Tim Sparks.

Tim Sparks can really play!  Clean and expressive!
L-01
Trailer Records

Great listing here. If you like live stuff, check out Steve Howe (from Yes), "Not Necessarily Acoustic".
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I've been listening to "Only" by Tommy Emmanuel all day. WOW! What a talent.  :o  Thanks Tom.

I just read that he will be in town on July 26. Only problem is, I will be on Kauai that day. Oh well, sucks for me.  ;)

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

In no particular order:

Tommy Emmanuel - Only - I have played this CD for so many people who have gone out and bought it and just loved it.

Harvey Reid - Guitar Voyages - THE absolute most underrated fingerstyle guitarist - Wonderful performer and a great mix of tunes - Probably one of the best all around musicians you will hear (killer slide, banjo, harpsichord and mandolin)

Preston Reed - Metal - Fantastic stuff - My wife does not like this but then again, this is not her list

Adrian Legg - Guitars and Other Cathedrals - Just a great CD - Adrian has a unique style and I chose this CD over Guitar Bones and Guitar for Mortals just by a nose

Michael Hedges - Beyond Boundaries - Best of MH

Other guys who get consideration and get into my top 5 depending on mood - Rob Eberhard Young, Jim Matheos, Alex De Grassi, Dallas Gordon (a little more mellow), Peppino D'Agostino, Justin King, Martin Simpson and Billy McLaughlin (again, another artist who everyone seems to enjoy his stuff. Played some of his cuts at my wedding and so many people came up to me and asked who it was).
Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM
Yamaha FS-335

Dr Evil, I had the Guitar Voyages CD, and it was awesome. I sent it around on a CD exchange "circle" thru Acoustic Guitar Forum, and guess what....I never got it back! I ought to learn.....send copies.....not originals!

Anyway, that CD was a good one.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

GIGGLER,

Guitar Voyages is one of the CD's that makes me stop doing whatever I am doing just to listen and be amazed.

I have seen Harvey live a number of times and he does not disappoint. I used to cringe when he picked up the harpsichord but I have even grown to appreciate that as well.

Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM
Yamaha FS-335