Tommy Emmanuel mentions Larrivee Guitars

Started by Bad-Frog, May 16, 2006, 01:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It may not be earth-shattering news, but I was reading through a web posting of a Dec. 2003 interview with Tommy Emmanuel in Vintage Guitar and he mentions Larrivee guitars.  He says he plays Maton on the road, but that he's a big fan of Martins, Gibsons, and Larrivees.

The article can be found here:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=194

I'm a big fan of Tommy and it just jumped out at me that he mentions that he's a fan of Larrivee guitars.  Makes me wonder if he has one (or more) and if so, what model.

Anyway, it's an interesting read and thought you all might be interested.

Interesting. Actually not very flattering to his Matons. He makes them sound like Takamines. Road guitars only.   

He mentions that he was content being the rhythm player, until he heard Chet.  I guess so, at 7 years old!

I can't remember being discontented about much of anything when I was 7 (maybe that I didn't get ice cream for dessert.   ^_^
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Martins OM and D's are without peers (cept unless you got to boutique of course)
so are Gibby Maple Jumbos
And of course the Larrivee L05's
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 16, 2006, 02:23:07 PM
Interesting. Actually not very flattering to his Matons. He makes them sound like Takamines. Road guitars only.   

Well, he gives 'em a backhanded compliment and basically says they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

2 1/2 weeks till I see him in concert.  Anyone have any questions you want me to ask him?

Thel  40 person master worksshop  still has some seats open!  $100 CDN ..for approx 4 hrs of fun time. Bring your Larri and you can play with him I am told. Don't eat before hand cause you're probably be sick from nerves as you sit down beside him  :)

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

I heared this morning on radio he's doing one concert in Montreal June 2nd! Must have been added not long ago, there was no mention of it on his website's tour dates section 2 weeks ago.

Only problem, the concert is in a church, Christ Church Cathedral downtown. I don't care much for these wood benches. :EM> But it's Tommy! So I'll probably make an exception...
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Talked to him for a couple of minutes after a concert a year ago and he indicated that he really liked Larrivees, that he considered Jean L a good friend and that Jean REALLY knew his woods. I think he plays Matons in concert out of Aussie loyalty and because Maton has the TE signature guitars.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: Crunchy Wacko on May 16, 2006, 09:23:31 PM
2 1/2 weeks till I see him in concert.  Anyone have any questions you want me to ask him? 

I'm seeing him in two hours!!! I'll tell you what's on his set list when I get back. :WNK>

J/K, I guess he's the kind of artist to never do exactly the same show twice.
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE

I bet tommy has a larrivee or two. he likely has dozens of guitars from many builders. guys like tommy get free guitars all the time in hopes from the builders that he'll be seen playing their product. i guarentee tommy has been THE factor in matons getting sold in the USA. I personally think matons are cool, especially their electrics. Ive not had the chance to play any matons, but I have seen a few in person.

speaking of tommy's show. I have seen him numerous times, most recently about 4 months ago. as much as I love his show, I wish he would change it up a bit. his version of heartbreak hotel (which he does everytime) is really not his best work, but you can tell he loves to play/sing it.

my biggest complaint about his live show (and I have few) is that he just plays too fast. I would love to hear him do more numbers off of "Only", his slower more melodic stuff. tommy writes the most beautiful melodies, but doesnt play nearly enough of that kind of stuff live.

I guess most folks just come out to see him do all the guitar acrobatics......and I like that stuff too......but I really like his slower, more mellow side.

I will say this, he's been playing stuff from his upcoming, yet-to-be-released cd, and it is simply PHENOMINAL WORK!!!!! be on the lookout for a song called "Louis and Clark". it's one of the catchiest melodies he's written to date. There's also another song titled "______ Birthday" (I can't remember the name, but I think it's one of his daughters...not Angelina either). This song has the most hypnotic harmonics I've ever heard. tommy is literally all over the board doing open harmonics and the song is beautiful. his new cd is going to be incredible.

The show was great.

Your comment made me smile, because you described the show I saw. ^_^ I don't mind though, that was the first time I saw him play. I'm amazed that he has so much energy. His Aboriginal Song is astounding.

He did play 4 or 5 songs from Only. And a few from his upcoming album. BTW I got his brand new DVD "Live at Her Majesty's Theatre - Ballarat, Australia" that's due in August! I believe he said we were the first to get it. It's only 1h20 long though, but at 20 loonies ($18USD), it was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, the Mystery CD's were not ready.

QuoteThere's also another song titled "______ Birthday" (I can't remember the name, but I think it's one of his daughters...not Angelina either).
It's on the DVD. The song's name is Antonella's Birthday. Not sure it's his daughter's name, I thought her name was Amanda.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 16, 2006, 02:23:07 PM

The "truth" is that Tommy is a HUGE fan of Maton guitars. He truly LOVES them. I first met Tommy in the mid seventies during a period when he was involved with some of the folk guitarists in Sydney. He praised Maton like you wouldn't believe; he was playing a lovely sunburst Maton Coolibah at the time. He praised matons then, and he praises Matons to this day.
In the above article Tommy says "I'm not an endorser, but I play these guitars, and they sound great".
Maton guitars cater to ALL levels. I don't know precisely what the Maton pricing is overseas, but here in Australia their cheaper, inexpensive, laminated back/sides models are the best bang for buck cheap guitar available, and their high end models are the equivalent in tone and reliability to other factory guitars like Larrivee, Gibson, Taylor, Guild and Martin.
Road guitars only? I'm afraid Duck, when it comes to high end Matons, you simply don't know what you're talking about. Tommy has recorded with  many Matons from  his array  of Maton guitars, since he first started recording many long decades ago and up to the present times.

Quote from: Guitar Jim on June 13, 2006, 09:55:58 PM
The "truth" is that Tommy is a HUGE fan of Maton guitars. He truly LOVES them. I first met Tommy in the mid seventies during a period when he was involved with some of the folk guitarists in Sydney. He praised Maton like you wouldn't believe; he was playing a lovely sunburst Maton Coolibah at the time.
In the above article Tommy says "I'm not an endorser, but I play these guitars, and they sound great".
Maton guitars cater to ALL levels. I don't know precisely what the Maton pricing is overseas, but here in Australia their cheaper, inexpensive, laminated back/sides models are the best bang for buck cheap guitar available, and their high end models are the equivalent in tone and reliability to other factory guitars like Larrivee, Gibson, Taylor, Guild and Martin.
Road guitars only? I'm afraid Duck, when it comes to high end Matons, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

I am sure Maton makes awesome guitars, Tommy would not play them othewise...but Tommy's current Maton's with his custom amps/pickups/mikes..and his rubber soundhole plug is going to create a sound that you and I will never know and is probably not a true representation of what Maton sounds like. They jump over backwards for him...as i would too...i am sure he loves them.

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

That "current" Maton (actually there's several of them), are just the Maton guitars the current audiences see Tommy play on stage. Tommy owns MANY Matons, well over 20 of 'em; he's heard on record playing them time and time again, decade after decade.
People don't understand Tommy's history and that Tommy plays 'em because he likes 'em........ NOT, I repeat NOT, because of a lucrative "deal" or anything like that. If Tommy didn't get one single free Maton or one single cent from Maton.......... he would still record and perform with Matons; just like he's done for decades.
A lot of folks from overseas don't understand Tommy and where he comes from on this issue. 

According to a friend of mine who saw him in NYC last night, he mentioned that he had just bought three Gibsons.   :SHK>
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Here's what Tommy himself says of Maton guitars,  "I do have other guitars, I love Gibson guitars, I love Martin guitars, Larrivee's. But I play Maton guitars because I like them: I could afford to have anything, but these guitars, there's nothing like them. I found my voice in that guitar. I can pick up a Maton guitar  and feel right at home straight away, whereas I pick up a Gibson or a Martin and it takes me a little while to get used to it and adjust myself to the instrument. With a Maton I pick it up and I'm home."
Later in the same interview he says, " If someone gives me something better I'll play it, but in the meantime there just isn't anything better".

Keep in mind all this stuff is Tommy's "opinion"...... but when it comes to guitars I think his opinion is something that should be noted.