WOW!!!!

Started by Larriveeplayer67, April 26, 2006, 08:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am blown away of how of how good my Larrivee sounds using the cross picking technique.I think out of every style I have tried on my Larrivee that cross picking sounds the best!Anyone else?
2006 Taylor 814-ce

a few days ago I installed some ej17's on my D03R and noticed that I could achieve a raspy growling sound by cross picking.............
sweet affect ! :TON>

cross picking?

'36 Epiphone Broadway
Mainland Uke
Eastman AC508M
Larrivee 00-03SP

http://www.markevansart.net/

yeah, what's cross picking?

It's a bluegrass technique that I've never been able to master in 20 years of trying.

I console myself with Tony Rice's comment that "most people misunderstand cross-picking anyway."
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Here's a link:

http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/studytune_3.html

The clip of Clarence White playing "Wildwood Flower" on that link gives a good idea of what it's supposed to sound like.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

What's a pick?
'36 Epiphone Broadway
Mainland Uke
Eastman AC508M
Larrivee 00-03SP

http://www.markevansart.net/

It occurred to me that fingerstylists might listen to that clip and think: "What's the big deal?  I can do that using p, i and m without even breaking a sweat."
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

(It's worth noting, though, that at the time of his death, Clarence was doing a lot of hybrid picking on acoustic, having gotten into the habit during his time as an electric player with Byrds.  That could have led him to some really interesting places if he had lived.)
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

whoops; me thought " cross picking" was holding the pic at an angle to the strings while striking.  :huh: It seems I'd be wrong.
Still a cool sound affect however.

Well, thanks a lot for that sound clip.  That's the song I've been trying to work on my crosspicking with.  Now I think I'll just burn my Larry, go back to my room and cry. :WNK>

Yup, there's a reason why Clarence is still spoken of with hushed tones almost 35 years after his death.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on April 26, 2006, 03:52:54 PM
It occurred to me that fingerstylists might listen to that clip and think: "What's the big deal?  I can do that using p, i and m without even breaking a sweat."

Tycho - as a finger picker I can certainly agree it's very easy to play patterns like that (which is partly why I like having a thumb and three fingers rather than one pick) - but it won't sound like it's played with a pick. Cross-picking has much more of a banjo feel to it than can be achieved by fingers  - another reason I use fingers - who wants to sound like a banjo  :WNK>. Only kidding - it's a nice technique if it can be mastered.

Cheers

Mike
Larrivee parlour (Sitka/Mahog)
Dave King Parlor (Alpine/Braz)
Lowden S25 (Cedar/EIR)
Pono Ukulele (all Koa)

Oh, I agree.  It would sound pretty lame. (I've tried it.)  But at least you'd actually get the notes out, more or less in time.

When I try to cross-pick, I feel like my hands have turned into bricks.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

crosspicking is a style of emulating fingerpicking with a flat pick, more often associated with the mandolin, where it is also commonly referred to as Jesse McReynolds-style. (because fingerpicking a mandolin is a thankless task.)