Ibeam upgrade

Started by Fergy07, April 25, 2006, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the IBeam (both passive and powered) to the Imix? I have two guitars with the Ibeams, and one with the Imix. I really lik ethe Imix better and would like to upgrade the others, but there doesn't seem to be an upgrade option other than buying a new Imix.

Thanks,

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

I spoke to tech support at Baggs about this. There is a way but it isn't cheap/ideal as you end up with redundant parts - I think it involves ditching everything but the I-Beam pickup itself (i.e. preamp and endpin) and buying the Element and blender: $259 RRP.

Dan
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

thats what I also thought. It would like you're just better off replacing the standard Ibeam with the Imix and thn selling the Ibeam. I'm probably going to go that route.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

yup. i'm tempted to do the same!
that said, i've just come across a fishman rare earth soundhole humbucker, and i'm going to try that in stereo (well, probably in mono but coming with two sep outputs from a stereo plug) with the ibeam (i'd rather it was mono blended, but stereo seems to be the only way).
one day, when i've got more cash, i might swap that out for the full imix system, and pop the fishman in another guitar (probably the 12 string Epiphone).

D
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

I don't know, maybe I'm too old fashioned, I just have a hard time getting used to the term 'humbucking' associated with an acoustic. Probably sounds nice, but I can't get past the concept. Good luck with it, let me know how you make out.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

From my experience the "Humbucker" version of the Rare Earth is the way to go. To my ears it sounds more natural than the single coil version.  It also is much less susceptible to electrical interference and noise.

Ron