Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JLD Bridge Doctor is now in Kwak's Tak!  (Read 1562 times)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

OK, so I got the package I was expecting today: namely the JLD Bridge Doctor. No big surprise or wonderful aroma when I opened this up: it smells like pencils.

After reading and rereading and re-rereading the instructions (just to be sure) I loosened the strings, popped the bridge pins then I took the patient downstairs to my basement, cleared the clutter off my workbench and went to work.

The instructions say it takes a half hour, but given that I'm a overly cautious and accident prone at the same time I measured 3X and cut once, extending the length of the operation to over an hour. Once I took the 9/32" drill bit to my bridge I was committed and it seemed to go smoothly. Just to be sure, I took pictures every step of the way - until my camera's batteries went dead though.

The patient is now in recovery sans strings but so far it looks like the crack is no more and the rosewood bridge now sits flush with the laminated golden honey-color spruce top and the sinkhoole/belly is noticably less severe. It will probably take a few cranks of the new hardware inside but I expect that it will flatten up a bit more (I hope).

The only issue that I think I'll have is that the little MOP circle is not going to stay put and I'm probably gonna have to put a little dab of Elmer's in there to make it stay put.

Now that the stress of the operation is over, this surgeon is gonna go and have a drink. Not before playing a little bit on the new Larry though! ;)

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:03 PM »

Congrats!!!Great way to do the job,slow and steady.A little dab of glue is no big thing.Keep us posted.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »

What type of guitar did you do the install on? I'm very curious of a before after sound comparison as I think the Breedlovs have a great deep sound with th JLD  bridges.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 12:35:27 AM »

I put it on a Takamine F-360 and I'm still dialing it in but the hump is about 90% gone. The only thing I'm worried about is that I may have overtightened the mouting screw that goes through the bridge. I heard something go *tic!* which is never a good sound! 

Here are a couple of recordings of the same song for reference. I played the same song: Vincent (Starry Starry Night) which is fingerstyle with lots of natural harmonics. Clip 1 is the Tak recorded last summer. Clip 2 is two parts. Part (A) is the Tak again yesterday and Part (B) is my new Larrivee OM-03R.

Takamine recording - August 31, 2005

Takamine F-360/JLD followed by Larrivée OM-03R - April 28, 2006

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:47:40 AM »

Detune the guitar,put your handinside and check the braces with a soft tug also if you can feel around the bridge plate.When using the JD system you should use small steps to ensure that the guitar adjust slowly.90% is a great result.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:23:48 PM »

Very, very nice playing! Thanks.

Jeff

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »

unclrob - I checked and there were no loose braces. I think the creak was actually coming from the rod on the JLD. I've since given it a couple more turns and the top is pretty much flat. There are just a couple of small ripples on the tail end of the bridge and the saddle is now just about perpendicular. Now the only problems I'm having are trying to keep that MOP dot in the screw hole and trying to choose between the new Larrivee and the reborn Tak.

Just kidding, of course the Larrivee wins every time. I'm in love with the freakin' thing. I just don't want the Tak to get jealous! ;)

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »

I had a JLD installed into my Epi PR 350, which was pretty much unplayable. It took away 100% of the belly behind the bridge. After a few weeks to settle in, I noticed a definite improvement in the bass response on that plywood baby! Epi has since found a new home with a starving visual artist. I got one very nice original painting and another on the way...

I'm ready to try installing one real soon on an early 80s made in Korea Hofner, which I will be passing along to my brother for his Birthday... The JLD is a great fix for otherwise unplayable guitars. Glad to hear your Tak is doing better now!  -_-

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »

Well, there's good news and bad news, well really bad news...!

First the good news: the tone is awesome. There seems to be a lot more sustain and the tone i more vibrant.

Now for the bad news: nugget that I am with all things regarding setup and luthery I went and split my bridge:

I'm such a dolt!  :<>

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:27:25 AM »

does it play alright? do the strings stay in pitch?  Don't worry... be happy  :mellow:

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 03:46:35 AM »

This a chessy fix but it does keep things from getting worst.Force some wood glue into the crack and let it set up for 2-3 days.Everything will be fine.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »

Well, that sounds like a plan since on further inspection the crack isn't all that deep. What brand/type of glue should I look for? Some folks I've asked recommend fast-curing superglue (the kind with the separate tube activator) but I dunno....! :UND>

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 05:08:44 PM »

No superglue,just plain ol Elmers or titebond yellow wood glue.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: