Strings

Started by monty, April 19, 2004, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am in a bit of a bind here. I had to loosen my strings to install the ivory saddle then i tightened it back up and everything sounds great.Know today my springs came for my ebony buttons (woo whoo) so i loosened up the strings and put the springs in then tightened up-SNAP there goes my e string so i pull out my d'addario phosphorus bronze strings and install them and it seems to sound a little different then i realize that maybe they're a light  instead of the extra light elixers that came with it.Long story short i loosened up the strings again to make sure saddle was in tight and it was so i tightened up-SNAP there goes my e string again.Know for the questions. Do different strings(IE elixer polyweb extra light vs D'addario phos.bronse) create different sounds? Both gage and brand?Please remember i am new to this stuff lol. Am i doing something wrong when i loosen the strings and tighten them to where they're breaking.I like the extra light stings due to my rookie fingers, also i don't believe i am over tightening because i use the boss tuner i have to tune before i put much tension on the strings.I would love to here some comments or critisizem on the subject. Thanks Monty
2003 D-03
2005 L-10E
1982? FENDER BULLET AMERICAN BUILT
GALVESTON MY FIRST PRACTICE 2003

Differnt string brands and types make a lot of difference, yes ! As to why they're breaking, thats hard to say because the only time i ever break new strings when installing them is the rare occasion when i accidentally over-tighten them. But you said you don't think you are. The key word here is "think". Are you 100% sure? Could it be that you're tuning them up roughly to pitch w/o the tuner first and going to far? I can't imagine any other reason unless maybe the saddle is in backwards or whoever made it made the slant the wrong way so that the sharp edge is facing the pins. Other than those things i can't imagine how you'd break 2 strings. I could see one being defective, bt the chances of 2 are just astronomically high.
Larrivee OM-9.....Taylor Killer, Tone2DaBone, Angels Singin', Nuff Said !

Its not when i install them for the first time its when i loosen them and then retighten them and as i tighten them i use the tuner to tune as i go.I'm wondering if it isn't where the string goes through the hole in the tuner and i loosen them to where the kink in the string moves out and i retighten and they break.It broke in the same spot right at the tuner where the hole is. Thanks again Monty
2003 D-03
2005 L-10E
1982? FENDER BULLET AMERICAN BUILT
GALVESTON MY FIRST PRACTICE 2003

Hmmm......i'd say it sounds like you are wrapping them wrong, but if you haven't always had this problem that couldn't be it.
Larrivee OM-9.....Taylor Killer, Tone2DaBone, Angels Singin', Nuff Said !

It does sound like the wrap at the post of the tuner.  I know sometimes when I lose my grip on my first wrap, there is that kink where the string comes thru the post hole.  Maybe take it to a luthier to get a quick instruct on the wrap.  That tech. could also look at your new saddle, there may be a sharp edge.

naboz