Basic Guitar Maintenance

Started by mnewton, April 20, 2004, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I hear a lot of different people doing a lot of different things to maintain their guitars.  What do you consider to be basic guitar maintenance?

string changes,neck adjustment,screw's on the tuner's snug,cleaning,checking for bur's on the tuner post and the saddle,cleaning the finger board and fret's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quotestring changes,neck adjustment,screw's on the tuner's snug,cleaning,checking for bur's on the tuner post and the saddle,cleaning the finger board and fret's.
I do all of those except for the finger board and frets.  I do wipe of the strings with a string cleaner cloth, but what do I use to clean the finger board and frets.  Is it a chemical solution, wet cloth, or just a dry cloth?

just some oooo steel wool cross grain is OK.When you start seeing that grey matter build up around the fret's that's when you do it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

That works great, just make sure you have a real rosewood or ebony fretboard.  If it is dyed it can cause some issues, if it is maple, would remove the laquer finish.  If it is a Larrivee it'll be a real ebony fretboard.

Also, if you have fake inlays as well, plastic would scratch pretty badly.

But, again, a Larrivee, real Abalone and/or MOP.
1974 Epiphone Archtop EA-250
1997 Larrivee L-10