Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World heavyweight tone championship  (Read 1097 times)
Larriveeplayer67

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »

Check out the two samples and vote.Than if you want discuss the two, post your comments in this thread. :mellow:
http://www.tusq.com/champ/

2006 Taylor 814-ce
Larriveeplayer67

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »

To bad they didn't have ivory as a contender.

2006 Taylor 814-ce
sfumato

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:18:35 AM »

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=10244.0
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »

I was just about to post this link to the previous topic

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=10244.0

Ron

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »

that's just not enough notes to make a judgement call.  I know it's trying to prove that B sounds better (it's certainly been played louder).  It's rigged.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Larriveeplayer67

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:49:35 PM »

that's just not enough notes to make a judgement call.  I know it's trying to prove that B sounds better (it's certainly been played louder).  It's rigged.
I agree Calvin you can tell the way he was  striking the notes plus if Ivory was in there wouldn't be  a contest.

2006 Taylor 814-ce
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »

I agree Calvin you can tell the way he was  striking the notes plus if Ivory was in there wouldn't be  a contest.

I like bone and walrus ivory equal.  Tusq has it's unique sound for certain applications (but in most cases are generally percieved as an inferior saddle material).  But this contest is bit of a joke.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »

I don't perceive Tusq as inferior. I view it as exactly what its claimed to be, a synthetic which was designed to have similar tonal qualities to ivory, which is now an endangered species controlled product, but previously, was the preferred saddle material.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:35:32 PM »

I don't perceive Tusq as inferior. I view it as exactly what its claimed to be, a synthetic which was designed to have similar tonal qualities to ivory, which is now an endangered species controlled product, but previously, was the preferred saddle material.

+1.   It's not a cheap plastic. In fact a Tusq blank usually costs a bit more than bone. I've had very good luck with it on several instruments. It was the standard saddle on Larrivees and many Taylors for years. I suspect part of the move toward bone is based on marketing as much as performance. YMMV.
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 03:57:16 AM »

Tusq has a more hollow (not necessarily bad) kind of sound.  Bone to me has a more solid sound (a bit more toward the direction of a jazz guitar sound).  Personally I prefer bone.  But I know many prefer Tusq.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
jwu53

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »

I had nothing in particular against the Tusq saddle that came with my LS-05, but wanted to raise the action and went with a Colosi bone saddle. Just got it and put it on -- and while I know its not "scientific" or anything,  I definitely notice an improvement in sound -- along the lines Calvin points out above. Put some GHS Laurence Juber Signature Mediums on and it sounds great. Tried the same strings a while back with the Tusq saddle and the strings just didn't work at all. These GHS LJ's are a very woody sounding string, tending toward a darker browner bronze tone that was just muddy with the Tusq, but has much greater clarity with the bone. But of course, these are a different set of strings, and the action is now a bit higher -- but I still believe the bone has something to do with the improvement. And it looks pretty! :WNK>

BTW, as many others have noted, Bob Colosi is a great guy to deal with -- highly recommended!

L-03R
LS-05
Larriveeplayer67

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »

I got a walrus Ivory sadddle and bone pins and installed them and to me it was to bright sounding and went back to the tusq combo.Bottom line if ain't broke don't fix it.You are probaly better off getting your tone by finding the right type of strings to suit your playing style.

2006 Taylor 814-ce
Rescon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »

I thought B sounded thin and way too bright. Aweful!!

LV-09 CE
Washburn - Dread
Brazilian Parlor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: