Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: condensor mic  (Read 13510 times)
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »

Well Crunchy Wacko, there's one sample of a cliché song. :rolleyes:

One track is a 12-string Aria, 2 tracks my LV.

Download page

The volume levels are all wrong. I don't know how to adjust that. And there's no noise reduction on the software supplied with the M-Audio! (Ableton Live Lite 5) I'll have to revert to another software that allows more editing. A coworker told me he'll give me Cakewalk 8 with serial (for free!), as he works on Cubase now. Is that old? It's not listed on Cakewalk's website.

If your friend is offering Cakewalk 8 with a serial number it is pirated software. Just a heads-up! Cubase is not a Cakewalk product. Cakewalk makes Sonar. Cubase is by Steinberg.

You should try some of the free recording programs out there like Audacity.

Then you can adjust the balance of your levels and do some stereo separation. Pan your 12 string slightly left and your six string slightly right. Better yet, make a copy of each track and pan the original hard right and the copy hard left for both. Then adjust the left right of one 12 string track and one 6 string track towards centre. You'll be amazed at the change in the quality of the resulting mix!

Once you start playing with tracks and effects you'll be hooked forever! Try adding a touch of reverb to your instruments and then play with various amounts of compression. You'll get all kinds of different opinions about effects and compression, but like everything, it is all subjective ... it all comes down to what sounds good to your ear!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2006, 11:11:17 PM »

I know that Cakewalk and Cubase are two different softwares. He has not offered a pirated copy, but his own paid-for disc with serial. He switched to Cubase a few years ago and has no need for Cakewalk anymore.

I've looked at Audacity but it does not seem to have a buit-in metronome. I guess I could always purchase one.

The problem I have with my volume levels is I've recorded all 3 tracks at the same input gain level. The first part (solo) of the second track gets drowned by the 12-string, then the 2nd solo part is drowned by the 2 other tracks. I've tried raising the tracks' levels in the software but it stops at 6 (dB? not mentioned) and it is not sufficient. Maybe I should have recorded the solo track with more gain to begin with.

Thanks for the tips drathbun, I'll try that!

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2006, 11:20:46 PM »

I've looked at Audacity but it does not seem to have a buit-in metronome. I guess I could always purchase one.

Or you could record a single track with a borrowed metronome, or better still, download this VST metronome plug in:

http://www.dehaupt.com/SynthEdit/DH_Metronome.htm

Ron

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »

I know that Cakewalk and Cubase are two different softwares. He has not offered a pirated copy, but his own paid-for disc with serial. He switched to Cubase a few years ago and has no need for Cakewalk anymore.

The problem I have with my volume levels is I've recorded all 3 tracks at the same input gain level. The first part (solo) of the second track gets drowned by the 12-string, then the 2nd solo part is drowned by the 2 other tracks. I've tried raising the tracks' levels in the software but it stops at 6 (dB? not mentioned) and it is not sufficient. Maybe I should have recorded the solo track with more gain to begin with.

Thanks for the tips drathbun, I'll try that!

If you have the original CD and serial for Cakewalk 8, I would venture to say that would be better than Audacity! I started using Cakewalk in version 9 so I'm not so familiar with 8. Also, Audacity does have a feature to generate a click track which is essentially a metronome. Just go to "Generate / Click Track".

Recording your tracks into Audacity you can adjust input gain at the top centre of the program's taskbar. Just don't allow your input levels to "clip" into the red. Digital distortion = BAD... Analog distortion = GOOD (tube amps). Once you've recorded the tracks then you can adjust the track volume and right/left balance with the track sliders on the left of the track (use mono tracks BTW). The hotter your original signal (without distortion) the better signal to noise ratio (SNR) you'll get in your recording. This is sometimes called "headroom". Yes the track slider is in dB. If you are having to push up to +6bB, your input signal isn't strong enough. You could use the "Amplify" feature in Audacity's Effect list, but preamping the original signal up to line level should be the first thing you do.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2006, 11:45:22 PM »

Thanks for the link ronmac! I'll give it a try.

I have a lot of things to get familiarized with. I'll try to get my hands on the book ronmac talked about.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2006, 12:09:27 AM »

Well the coworker I talked about gave me his software, it's Cakewalk Pro Audio 7. It's an oldie, it says Windows 95/NT on the CD, the date is 1998. I'm not even sure this app is compatible with ASIO drivers?  :huh: But with the serial and CD key, I could get an upgrade on one of Cakewalk's products for a lot less than full price.

Another coworker lent my a DVD called "The Basics of Modern Recording & Mixing" and is made by a company called Secrets of the Pros. Looks promising.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
sigurdd48

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2006, 08:33:12 PM »

I was in a similar situation about a year ago trying to figure out a reasonably priced but quality sound solution for recording to my computer.  And I'll preface everything by saying that I am a total recording newbie and by no means an expert on gear  smiley  I just did a lot of research and asked around to people with more knowledge.

So, I ended up with a Studio Projects B1 condensor mic, PreSonus TubePre and M-Audio Audiophile USB interface.  This setup works remarkably well for me and gives me clear, wide range recordings which are also noise free.

The B1 is highly rated and very reasonable (compared to high end mics) at around $100.  The TubePre is also very nice (with a 12Ax7 tube) for warming up the signal and also right around $100 (I think Behringer makes a similar unit which is about $60 but no tube).  The USB interface is something you'd have a lot of choices to pick from....I ended up with the Audiophile USB because it had MIDI in/out which I wanted for my keyboard and it was around $130.

Good luck in your search!

This is a prertty good approximation of what I am using:

I have a B-1 Mic. Good basic dependable Condensor (got used for just around 80 bucks thru H-C classifieds)
Also use a Shure SM57 for yer basic stuff (dynamic do anything mic)

Mic Preamp:
A Studio Projects VTB-1 (only a cooincidence that it is the same make)
http://www.soundpure.com/showProduct.do?id=24

And a Tascam US-224 USB audio interface
got them all used thru some music boards

I run the whole mess into an iMac and into Garageband or Logic Express (pretty much one track at a time.. nothing fancy)
It avoids the whole gobbledy-gook with sound cards and all that

here's a sample of an old  blues song I did
the clanking sound is either my kicking an inverted drawer with a mic under it or two screw drivers to make a sound like a hammer on a rail
lots of psycho slide guitar

personalpages.tds.net/~mstuartev/death come creepin.mp3

'36 Epiphone Broadway
Mainland Uke
Eastman AC508M
Larrivee 00-03SP

http://www.markevansart.net/
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: