condensor mic

Started by Crunchy Wacko, March 28, 2006, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Everyone

Very new to recording here and looking to make my first purchase. Can a condensor mic be patched right into your line in on a computer audio card or do  I need a preamp first.   (the preamp will be coming no matter what)  ..but I just wanted to get started.

Thanks

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

Assuming this is a built in sound card (not an external USB or Firewire type with phantom power) no. A condensor mic requires a power (phantom) source.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on March 28, 2006, 07:08:19 PM
Assuming this is a built in sound card (not an external USB or Firewire type with phantom power) no. A condensor mic requires a power (phantom) source.

What if the mic has batteries?  Don't most condensor mics have a space for them.  If so, do I still ned the amp?

Thanks

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Quote from: ronmac on March 28, 2006, 07:15:11 PM
What model mic?

Hey Ron

No specific model in mind although i just watched a video on Acoustic Player Mag and the condenser mic they showed - Audio Technica Atr-55 -  takes batteries.

Cheers

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Whether or not it needs phantom power or has its own batteries, you need a pre-amp to bring it up to line level. If you want to go the cheap route and not get a pre and just plug into the cheap mic pre in yoursound card, I would just get a cheap dynamic mic from the Shack. Cause anything you run through those cheap pres on non-recording specific cards is gonna sound like poo anyway. You need a dedicated sound card and a mic pre. If you can't afford that all at once, save up. also, those condensors with the batteries in them are usually bottom of the line. Get a pre with 48v and a decent condensor.

I've been looking at the Samson CO1U which is an USB condenser mic... It gets its power through the USB cable. No mic preamp needed.

http://www.music123.com/Samson-CO1U-USB-Studio-Condenser-Microphone-i155787.music

Most of the reviews on Amazon are favorable. Although there seems to be problems with the drivers, mostly with MacOS.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000AP1RE8/102-2836414-4078507

BTW, would anyone know what "DAW app" stands for?
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

DAW app is Digital Audio Workstation Application.
Ron

MXL has a recording package where you get a 990 and 991 for $100.  These are fantastic mics for the money.  Combine that with a Behringer UB-802 mixer and you have a very useable sound for about $150.
Here is a recording I did of my new OM-50.  Its a song I have started working on.  I need to polish it up but wanted to record something.  Levels are flat with just a touch of reverb.
http://web.mac.com/jwieties/iWeb/Site/Podcast/C169D525-63A2-42AD-B8BA-AD6B3D899834.html

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

Quote from: Gemnoc on March 28, 2006, 10:31:28 PM
I've been looking at the Samson CO1U which is an USB condenser mic... It gets its power through the USB cable. No mic preamp needed.

http://www.music123.com/Samson-CO1U-USB-Studio-Condenser-Microphone-i155787.music

Most of the reviews on Amazon are favorable. Although there seems to be problems with the drivers, mostly with MacOS.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000AP1RE8/102-2836414-4078507

BTW, would anyone know what "DAW app" stands for?

Most of the reviews are favorable because there's no frame of reference from the reviewers.  That Samson mic is at the low end of the low end.  It's major selling point is the USB connectivity.  However, if you use one, you cannot use a second one (in another USB port) to record in stereo.  Hardly any room for expansion.  Best bet, even on a limited budget, is to get a two channel preamp or firewire/USB recording interface, and one or two inexpensive condenser mics.

I was in a similar situation about a year ago trying to figure out a reasonably priced but quality sound solution for recording to my computer.  And I'll preface everything by saying that I am a total recording newbie and by no means an expert on gear  -_-  I just did a lot of research and asked around to people with more knowledge.

So, I ended up with a Studio Projects B1 condensor mic, PreSonus TubePre and M-Audio Audiophile USB interface.  This setup works remarkably well for me and gives me clear, wide range recordings which are also noise free.

The B1 is highly rated and very reasonable (compared to high end mics) at around $100.  The TubePre is also very nice (with a 12Ax7 tube) for warming up the signal and also right around $100 (I think Behringer makes a similar unit which is about $60 but no tube).  The USB interface is something you'd have a lot of choices to pick from....I ended up with the Audiophile USB because it had MIDI in/out which I wanted for my keyboard and it was around $130.

Good luck in your search!

So,  Mic and Pre-amp is the way to go. Now I have also heard  of a "DI Box"  what is that?  How does it fit into this equation?

In the larger plan I want to get a simple small Amp to hear my self.  Where does that fit into this.  There has got to be a good website somewhere with simple explanations and pics to straighten this newbie out.

Cheers

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

A DI box is a small pre-amp in a box which a guitar with pickup and 1/4inch connector would plug into to get:

1: signal boost
2. tone, volume,  and eq adjustments (besides what might already be on the guitar)
3. convert to balanced output (usually).

Pretty much necessary for a passive pickup unless you have a very short cable run to the amp, but many people use them in addtion to active pickups for various reasons.

I will typically use an acoustic with no pickup into a condensor mic into a small preamp/mixer. The mixer into both my PC's soundcard and into a set of headphones.

I need to get an upgraded soundcard or one of the USB connections as:  mixer-->soundcard isn't the best quality sound.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on March 29, 2006, 06:20:12 PM
A DI box is a small pre-amp in a box which a guitar with pickup and 1/4inch connector would plug into to get:

1: signal boost
2. tone, volume,  and eq adjustments (besides what might already be on the guitar)
3. convert to balanced output (usually).

Pretty much necessary for a passive pickup unless you have a very short cable run to the amp, but many people use them in addtion to active pickups for various reasons.

Hey Randy

So it's a type of pre-amp?  When I look at the K&K preamps..are they doing as much as a DI box...and more?  Is the DI box a smaller version of  these.?

Chris

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

I paired my Apex condensor mic up with a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 Preamp. The MIC200 has built in phantom power and has some interesting modelling as well.

http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: Crunchy Wacko on March 29, 2006, 06:24:48 PM
Hey Randy

So it's a type of pre-amp?  When I look at the K&K preamps..are they doing as much as a DI box...and more?  Is the DI box a smaller version of  these.?

Chris

external vs internal

Actually, makes me think that the next pickup I get is going to be passive, with a belt DI. Why put electronics in the guitar if you're going to use an external DI anyway????

Randy R., Georgia, USA

If your just looking for something to get you started recording go with a cheap dynaimic mic.

I bought a Phillips that comes with a cord and an adapter plug that went right into my Creative Live sound card.  I went to a music store a bought a little floor standing boom mic stand and clip.  Have under $50. in the whole thing.  Got the mic a WalMart for $9.99.
Dowloaded Audacity for free to do the recording.

Take a listen.

Windows

Quote from: SteveK on March 29, 2006, 08:05:12 PM
If your just looking for something to get you started recording go with a cheap dynaimic mic.

I bought a Phillips that comes with a cord and an adapter plug that went right into my Creative Live sound card.  I went to a music store a bought a little floor standing boom mic stand and clip.  Have under $50. in the whole thing.  Got the mic a WalMart for $9.99.
Dowloaded Audacity for free to do the recording.

Take a listen.

Wheels

Good work Steve!  Appreciate the posting of the recording.   Can anyone post a recording of a low end condensor mic/pre-amp onto a computer?  I'd love to be able to compare.

Chris

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Quote from: Crunchy Wacko on March 29, 2006, 08:12:03 PM
Good work Steve!  Appreciate the posting of the recording.   Can anyone post a recording of a low end condensor mic/pre-amp onto a computer?  I'd love to be able to compare.

Chris

The sound clip I did of my L-09CE is into a low end condenser mic ($39 on ebay Superlux) into a low-end mixer into the sound card of my PC using free Audacity.

http://randyrick.us/guitars/L09CE.htm

Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on March 29, 2006, 10:01:52 PM
The sound clip I did of my L-09CE is into a low end condenser mic ($39 on ebay Superlux) into a low-end mixer into the sound card of my PC using free Audacity.

http://randyrick.us/guitars/L09CE.htm

Awesome Randy..in your opinion where does all the background hiss come from and what would you do to take it up a level. Although I am a beginner player...i am a freak about quality sound.

Thanks.. Chris

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp