Damien Rice on ACL

Started by Acoustickler, March 27, 2006, 01:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I watched the rerun of Damien Rice on Austin City Limits last night in HDTV.  Wow, what a really solid performance.  Great acoustic sound out of an old sweet-but-beat Lowden (what else for a good Irish boy?)

If you haven't checked out his disc "O", it is a really beautiful acoustic-based recording.

Cheers,
B.
============================
1998 Larrivee D-10 (Brazilian RW/Sitka)
1999 Froggy Bottom F Deluxe (Koa/Adirondack)
2003 Martin D-17 (All Mahogany)
1996 Fender USA Strat Plus
1967 Hofner President
2001 Dean USA Time Capsule V #17/50 (Cherry Sunburst)
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212

Quote from: Acoustickler on March 27, 2006, 01:33:10 AM
So I watched the rerun of Damien Rice on Austin City Limits last night in HDTV.  Wow, what a really solid performance.  Great acoustic sound out of an old sweet-but-beat Lowden (what else for a good Irish boy?)

If you haven't checked out his disc "O", it is a really beautiful acoustic-based recording.

Cheers,
B.

He's been on Austin City Limits?

I agree about the albom "O".  Truly a beautiful album.  That and Iron & Wine's first album, Creek Drank the Cradle, great acoustic music.

his lowden is actually a japanese model.  For a period of time during the 80s, george lowden oversaw production of his guitars in japan.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on March 27, 2006, 07:45:22 AM
his lowden is actually a japanese model.  For a period of time during the 80s, george lowden oversaw production of his guitars in japan.

Very interesting - I'd heard about the various phases of Lowden production.  Is there something about the appearance of the guitar that tips you off that it is a MIJ Lowden?  This one on ACL had the older style gold script headstock logo.

Cheers,
B.
1967 Hofner President
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212

Quote from: Denis on March 27, 2006, 07:06:21 AM
He's been on Austin City Limits?

I agree about the albom "O".  Truly a beautiful album.  That and Iron & Wine's first album, Creek Drank the Cradle, great acoustic music.

Hi Denis,

Yes, the show was rerun on Saturday night.  It was the first 1/2 hour of DR and the last 1/2 hour of Patty Griffin.  Good stuff!  I'm also a fan of I&W...seems we have similar music tastes.  Keep me updated when you discover something new that is good  :GRN>!

Cheers,
B
1967 Hofner President
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212

Quote from: Acoustickler on March 27, 2006, 11:36:36 AM
Hi Denis,

Yes, the show was rerun on Saturday night.  It was the first 1/2 hour of DR and the last 1/2 hour of Patty Griffin.  Good stuff!  I'm also a fan of I&W...seems we have similar music tastes.  Keep me updated when you discover something new that is good  :GRN>!

Cheers,
B

Did you get that new I&W with Calexico?  It's called In the Reins.  Really good stuff.  It's just an EP with 7 tunes but very cool.  I've got pretty much everything I&W has out there and it's all good.  I hope Damien Rice will put out a new album soon, "O" has been out for nearly 4 years now.

Here it is straight from the horses's mouth...This is the quote concerning Damien Rice's lowden...

"His guitar is a Japanese made Lowden, built between 1980 and 1985, it looks like an S10 which the modern day equivalent of a Lowden O10 or indeed a Mahogany / Cedar O35." ~ George Lowden

For a period of about 5 years, george lowden had his guitars built overseas.  Afterall, living in America, we should know by now that outsourcing is a cheaper way of producing goods.  I'm glad he eventually closed the japan factory and went back to his roots.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Love Damien and all his music.
Sorry I missed that one.

STan
CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S

Quote from: roknroll on March 27, 2006, 11:51:08 AM
Here it is straight from the horses's mouth...This is the quote concerning Damien Rice's lowden...

"His guitar is a Japanese made Lowden, built between 1980 and 1985, it looks like an S10 which the modern day equivalent of a Lowden O10 or indeed a Mahogany / Cedar O35." ~ George Lowden

For a period of about 5 years, george lowden had his guitars built overseas.  Afterall, living in America, we should know by now that outsourcing is a cheaper way of producing goods.  I'm glad he eventually closed the japan factory and went back to his roots.

Cool, thanks roknroll!

That baby has definitely seen some hard strummin' in its 20-25 years.  The whole top area above the soundhole and also all around the pickguard below are worn through right into the wood!

Cheers,
B
1967 Hofner President
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212

I know!  Damien does strum REALLY hard.  I dunno, some people can really wear away a guitars finish, while others barely touch it with scratches.  Like my friend, he has a VERY wide/hard strum...wore through the finish in his yamaha L-5 in about 2 yrs time.  I on the other hand(who has better rythm by the way)barely put pick scratches in the finish.  I guess my rythm is a little stiffer, and I tend to fingerpick/strum with my thumb. Oh well, I'm glad I don't wear through my guitars...plus I like my style of strumming better than hard/fast/procussive strumming.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5