Praise For The Local Guy

Started by 2001OM09, August 31, 2003, 06:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been reading about buying on-line, and have had some dialog about this over on the UMGF.

I bought my OM09 from a small shop up here in the Southern Adirondacks.  I paid $1,500 -- and yes I could have saved a couple hundred buying on line.  But my guy is less than a mile away if I have questions or a problem I can talk to him face-to-face.  Not to mention that I was able to play and compare new, vintage, Larrivee, Martin, Morgan, Northwoods, and others side by side.  Every time I walk in to buy strings I get them for "just give me a couple of bucks" (I use Martin SP phosphor bronze on the OM), accessories of other types are a similar story.

Most important of all, I am supporting a hard working, honest, local guy who built his shop downtown, supports every charity event, sits on the Chamber Board, and is a great local business citizen.

He's got my business for life.  I just hope everyone will at least give the local guy a chance (when you are lucky enought to have one, that is).  ...Ray

It's always nice to buy local.We sell most of our Larrivee's inhouse.We also get guy's and gal's who travel 150 t0 200 miles.There are not a lot of Larrivee dealers,let a lone a lot of shops that can stock a big selection.
Internet sales make up a large part of our business,my job is to treat you like your standing right in front of me.
It's all about service. :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Ray,
I'm one of those ones' without a shop locally and the shops within a half days ride are well off the mark on price. I, also, would pay a couple hundred extra  to buy locally, but I'm not going to pay $600! Our local shop sells several brands and I have bought there ( Tacoma DR-20 ) and enjoyed the experience. When I decided to buy my Larrivee I mailed  Wichita Band and they were great. Nathan worked with me through the whole process right down to how I wanted it set up to what kind of strings I preferred, no extra charge. Shipping to Western NC was $30, which was much less than state tax. Buy the way, I love the LV o5e. The new B-Band A-6 system works great through my Genz Benz and I couldn't be happier.

Peace,
Bo    

Sounds like you had a great experience, Bo -- and that's what makes the internet so fantastic.  Congrats on LV.  Sounds like a wonderful instrument -- enjoy every moment with it.  I count my blessings every time I pick up my Larrivee or my Martin.   :rolleyes:  

Doesn't the internet sales remind you of the way malls  forced out alot of downtown, family owned businesses? "Convenience" versus service.  :unsure:
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

QuoteDoesn't the internet sales remind you of the way malls  forced out alot of downtown, family owned businesses? "Convenience" versus service.

Exactly!  In Bo's case, however, I think the Internet worked worked the way it is supposed to.  UnclRob makes a point of service being part of what it's all about (I believe he does, and I think some mall stores do, too), but for most folks it's price and convenience that matter most.  Too bad, 'cause it sure is nice to have the local mom and pop shops, and I love strolling DT and having a chance to play some great guitars on my lunch break.  ...Ray

QuoteDoesn't the internet sales remind you of the way malls  forced out alot of downtown, family owned businesses? "Convenience" versus service.  :unsure:
They have a word for this: Wal*Mart-izing. It is about to happen in the quiet little rural town near where I live.

A farmer's field near a major highway is about to be paved over and filled with big boxes with names like Wal*Mart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.
Goodbye little mom and pop stores on Main St.
Goodbye community, period!

However, I don't think there is a big box that has the services of a qualified luthier going in, thank goodness.

I feel lucky that I have one of the best Luthier/Guitar Shops in all of southern Ontario just a 15 minute drive away from where I live in Guelph.

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

The big problem for "Mom+Pop" shops is the the big guitar companies play this game called "leveling the playing feild".What they do is give the big guy's a bigger discount tell them they can only advertize a such and such price then they discount to the max in there store's{in some case's at the price that the little store's pay}.In a lot of case's they took the dealership from a small store to give it to a big store.Then there's the blitz advertizing,mom and pop don't have the good's or they can't compete.
For us we've been turned down so many time's from the the major's that we don't care anymore.We can buy new guitars from any dealer,because there so full of stock and so low in funds.Moving the inventory earns them brownie point's and we have new guitars to sell at a little less than the dealer.This is sold as new old stock.WE make less money but we turn it over fairly fast.
AS for Larrivee it's the only new acoustic we carry.As for Electric's D'Angelico.
Larrivee asked us to no longer post our asking price on the web or in print.We've gone along with this for the betterment of the brand in our eye's because we asked that they help to stop the dealers who sell on ebay{which is still done but the dealers are suppose to have an opening bid at 25% off list}
We felt that selling on ebay cheapened the line.If you got no bid then we would hear lines like"well it didn't sell on ebay so your price is to high"
But back to the "Mom and Pop" thing,they couldn't compete so they had to close.Also a few bad seeds in the business use to sell at full list and everyone wants a deal.Think about it? <_<  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Ok ... I have to get in on this a bit ... I am strong for the little guys ... I bought my RI Guild D30 with pleasure and no regrets from the little guy.  In fact, I own a little guy 40's style diner.  I work for the big guy in another industry, and believe you me this has made me even more for the little guy.

The little guy businesses can only carry so many models and cater to such and such crowd.  The little guy shop in my area does almost all of his acoustic sales volume in Fenders, Corts, and the like.  In other words, fairly inexpensive guitars.  Thats how he cuts his business.  BTW, I consider the little guy guitar dealer in out town as a friend.

I wanted to go back to the little guy, but I was looking for a Larrivee or a Morgan acoustic guitar.  My little guy shop does not carry these.

So, Nathan and EM Shorts are an hour away.  Yes, you would have to probably call EM Shorts the Big Guy type, but, I must step in to their defense.  I would definitely not categorize them in the Walmart type of business.  They probably do most of their business via the internet.  However, if you visit them in person, and choose them for your purchase you are subjected to top notch customer service.  They are right their with you on your buying experience.  They go that extra mile with their service that us little guys try to do at all times.  They remember that the customer is first, that this is not an inexpensive, whimsical purchase, and that your satisfaction is the utmost of importance.  Moreover, as most all legit small guys, they seem very sincere, and do not take that big business approach that there are more customers out there ... we just got to find them ....

sorry to ramble ... just my $0.02 ...
;)  
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Bino -- that's not rambling!  You make some excellent points.  

I started this thread 'cause I think people ought to at least give the local shop a look.  Some times they carry what you need or want, some times they don't.  And we've all had an experience with a local shop of one sort or another that does not deserve our business...  

But thinking local to start, and buying local when it is possible (even if it means spending a few more bucks) is a noble thing to do -- and in the long run a practical thing to do.  ...Ray

Thanks Ray ... I was hoping that I would not be misinterpredted.  That is always a risk with the written word in forums and the like.

bino
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

in this city there aren`t even any little mama san and papa san shops. So I`ve been buying on the Japanese web lately with great luck. Had to send a few back... not really what they were advertised as... but in general, I am happy. I love to support the little shops... and do when I can, just not for musical gear... not many options.