My Favorite Acoustic Album

Started by philster, April 16, 2004, 08:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteAnd last but never least the first two Bob Dylan albums. Priceless!
.......and Blood on the Tracks

Oh sure. And Unplugged. Oh and Sweet Baby James.  

Though note all acoustic,any John Prine fan's.My two fav's rite now are Hello in there and Your Flag Decal.Been playing both for years.I also enjoy from the last CD Jesus,The Missing Years....
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have to chime in for T.E. and his version of Lady Madona. That just blows me away. I think it is the percusive nature of the intro and the ending
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

QuoteThough note all acoustic,any John Prine fan's.My two fav's rite now are Hello in there and Your Flag Decal.Been playing both for years.I also enjoy from the last CD Jesus,The Missing Years....
Big Prine fan here too Rob!

And another big vote for John Prine!!!  I have to be one of his biggest fans ever!!  I virtually play just about every John Prine song he has ever done.  I have been known to do an entire evening of just John Prine - without sheet music or words, all by heart.  So, it would be hard to pick just one album, but so I would say my 3 favorites are Sweet Revenge and Diamonds in the Rough followed closely by the self titled, John Prine album.  I could go on and on, but instead I'm just going to pick up Larrivee and play some Prine!!!  "Because Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore!"   :)

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

Right now I'll have to say Randy Travis's Worship & Faith cd is one of my favorite acoustic cd's  

Lately I have stumbled upon a guy by the name of Ray LaMontagne. His album is called "Trouble" and the title song is simple but great. I also like Damien Rice's "O".

QuoteThough note all acoustic,any John Prine fan's.My two fav's rite now are Hello in there and Your Flag Decal.Been playing both for years.I also enjoy from the last CD Jesus,The Missing Years....
Rob,
 that first Prine album is totally a classic.....I will be listening to that til' the rockin' chair! :lol:
there are waaaayy too many to mention, but here's a few

David Wilcox - How Did You Find Me Here?
Brooks Williams - North From Statesboro
Nanci Griffith - Poet in my Window
Grant Geissman - Rustic Technology
Billy Joe Walker - Warm Front
Nightnoise - Nightnoise
Jim Tozier - Castlerea
Joe Weed - Waltz of the Whipoorwill
Michael Hedges - Breakfast in the Field

and about a hundred others but I don't have the time right now :D  
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Anyone heard any David Francey? Very good singer, songwriter and guitarist. I've been listening to his CDs a lot. Two thumbs way up as they say.  

I suppose I don't care if I'm viewed as a "hick", but one of my fav's is the Cowboy Way, by Riders in the Sky. Not only are those guys accomplished musicians.....song writers, too.......they're loads of fun!!  :lol:

This thread is gonna give me lot's of stuff to look into.....thanks, all.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

Hey ducktrapper,

If you haven't already, seek out and snatch up the Doc & Dawg works. Both the CD and the totally different takes on DVD are priceless. Two old friends, both undeniable masters of their respective crafts.

Big Prine fan here too.

Hey UnclRob, "The Missing Years" is one of my "alltime" favorite albums (I still call 'em albums). For me, that was one of those rare ones that comes along that you can't stop listening to. When you first hear it you just keep playing it over and over for days.

I'm also a big Buffett fan from waaaaaaayback. The early stuff is what it's all about.

QuoteI suppose I don't care if I'm viewed as a "hick", but one of my fav's is the Cowboy Way, by Riders in the Sky. Not only are those guys accomplished musicians.....song writers, too.......they're loads of fun!!  :lol:

This thread is gonna give me lot's of stuff to look into.....thanks, all.
We saw them here at the WYO Theater a few years back. Not only are they hilarious, but they are awesome (as my daughters would say) musicians! One of the most fun concerts I've ever been to. They're back this month, but the ticket prices have almost doubled, and since there are 5 of us, we won't be going this time. We have several of their tapes (pre-CD player), and love to listen to their Radio Theater show on NPR.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Prine just kicks my butt,great words andstrait foward rythms.
I play a lot of Buffett with Koamon.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

favorite acoustic album is hard: i'll throw out a few, and i'm probably missing several,,,
Astral Weeks....Van Morrison...ooh! Veedon Fleece too.
Bryter Layter and Five Leaves Left....Nick Drake (well, any Nick Drake)
In the Falling Dark.....Bruce Cockburn (any Bruce Cockburn too!)
New Morning....Bob Dylan (plenty of Bob's also!)
Harvest Moon....Neil Young (a ton of his stuff too!)
Souvenirs....John Prine (often overlooked, less nasaly remakes)
various old blues guys....Blind Willie Johnson, Son House, etc.
Star Time....James Brown  Oow!....just kidding :lol: (it's great though)
there's just too much good stuff and some overlaps out of acoustic into other areas. i'm assuming by acoustic, we mainly mean guitar. if not you've got to throw some jazz guys off in there too.

oh, and you guys who like Ryan Adams, should really check out Paul Westerberg, particularly his latest stuff (former frontman of the Replacements) he's really kind of the source of the Ryan Adams ilk. Adams is talented, but it's sort of like comparing Bobby Brown to Curtis Mayfield.
(not quite, but sort of) i hope that's not too offensive, i just don't know how to put it otherwise. he's worth a look, not real acousticy though.

this was fun,
russ

I almost forgot all about John Prine. You guys are right. He is a truly great musician.
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

QuoteStephen Stills..Stills alone.
I'm beginning to like you even more Rob.
Was that the one ....early/mid '70's.....had "evertbody's talkin'" on it? If so....I wish I still had that one! I learned the old Chuck Berry song from listening....and did y'all know Chuck had claimed the Beatles stole that song to make "Come Together"?  :unsure:  

QuoteStephen Stills..Stills alone.
I'm beginning to like you even more Rob.
Was that the one ....early/mid '70's.....had "evertbody's talkin'" on it? If so....I wish I still had that one! I learned the old Chuck Berry song from listening....and did y'all know Chuck had claimed the Beatles stole that song to make "Come Together"?  :unsure:
That's the one. Which song is a Chuck Berry song?  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

The one that says:

Bought myself a brand new air-mobile, it was custom built like a coupe deville....etc......bye-bye New Jersey I become airborne...(you can't Catch me?)