Mr. John Hurt

Started by joopie, March 18, 2006, 09:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderin' where i may find the most accurate info, books, writings, etc. about the man and his life?

also for his technique- i have some books w/ some songs.. are there any DVDs with Hurt actually playin?i have been workin'  on the blues w/ my new OM03-  -_-

:mellow: J.
OM-18V

check out guitar workshop and vestapol videos...I believe thay have afew tapes of MJH performances

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

josh- thankyou! that is a great video!

do you have the instructional dvd- would you say it's worth owning?

OM-18V

Quote from: joopie on March 19, 2006, 01:29:07 PM
josh- thankyou! that is a great video!

do you have the instructional dvd- would you say it's worth owning?

No problem.
Yes... I have the DVD.  It is great.  Gives you a original version (or close to it) of each song and in several cases 1 or 2 other versions.  The tab booklet is also accurate (they often aren't).  The instruction itself is also very good.  Not overly in depth, but they walk you through the songs pretty well.  It is also a good collection of songs to learn, representing several different keys that MJH played in

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

thanks again- i'll have to pick that DVD up.

OM-18V

John Millers MJH DVDs from the Guitar Workshop are also excellent...there are 2 of them...and he is a wonderful teacher.  I feel that the Miller taoes teach you to play note for note what MJH plays while the Homespun tape...which I own and enjoy...teaches you the basics and a couple of variations...more the feel of the song than a note for note transcription.  My one complaint with the Homespun tape is that the instructor (Happy Traum or John Sebastian) both do some cool things in their playing which did not make it into the tab booklet.  Other than that it is a great DVD.

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170

Quote from: Blue in VT on March 21, 2006, 07:51:17 AM
John Millers MJH DVDs from the Guitar Workshop are also excellent...there are 2 of them...
Blue
John Miller is a great guy & a great musician/guitarist/teacher. His Gershwin book changed the way I think about guitar. I wrote to him and the guy actually wrote back to me.
I used to suffer with insomnia. I would put on Mississippi John Hurt and his gentle voice and wonderful syncopated guitar playing is just like a lullaby.

Stephen Grossman's Masters of the Country Blues has a few Hurt songs tabbed and comes with book and cd. It is where I learned big leg blues!
1995 Simon & Patrick SP6 Pro Rosewood
2006 Larrivee 000-60

If a player desires to get the MJH "tone" then it's necessary to play the way he did.......without nails or thumbpick or fingerpicks. MJH played using just the bare flesh of his thumb and 2 fingers; the flesh would have hardened a bit over time due to the playing.

oredered the home spun dvd... :GRN>

OM-18V

The first time I ever heard MJH was on a record by a person named Patrick Sky. John Hurt came on in between tracks and was announced as "Mississippi John Hurt will now sing Gilbert and Sullivan". He then sang "Giberrtttt and Sullivaaaannn" and then had a great laugh. I really liked that LP.
Brian M.

I've been working through Grossman's "Avalon blues" cd/book. He is a great instructor. He gives tips on technique and other insights into the world of guitar. He doesn't tab everything out for you, but it is usually easy to get the rest of the song once you've mastered what he's taught.

Right now I'm working on "Payday" it's easy but there is alot to memorize. I just started playing along with the original record today which is really easy. That song is one of my favorites, for me MJH singing that song is perfection. It was thrilling to play along with it today.

I've been working through those two books/cds as well....I really like them too.  I wish he would give a little bit more of each song....atleast one variation....I'm not at the point yet where I can just make up my own modifications....so I wouldn't mind a few more phrases for each song....but I now have several teachers versions of some songs and can pick and choose bits from each.

MJH was the first great acoustic bluese man I heard...and is still my favorite....I wish I had a decent singing voice... :<>

cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170