Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me select the right tools for my purpose  (Read 755 times)
Rick67

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:50:09 AM »

So far from what I have read, it looks like L.R. Baggs Para acoustic is the one that gets most votes. I trusted you opinions on the Pure Western so now I am looking for a preamp tone shaping box.

My live situation is for Church worship. Going straight into the PA my D-03R sounds a little too bright for my taste. I would like to have more control over the tone of my guitar. Are there better choices than the Baggs? What about coloring the tone for certain songs such as chorus or reverb? What would you suggest I get for that?

Also, I read somewhere that the EQ on the preamp can resolve some of the "quacking " from a peizo pickup. Anyone care to enlighten me on this please. I have a Taylor with an older Fishman prefix and hate the tone on it.

Larrivee D-03R
Taylor 310CE
heartwood

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:41:56 AM »

Rick,  I used to have a Taylor 514CE and a Taylor 710...both had the older Fishman Prefix systems.  At first, I hated the sound of my guitars when plugged in.  Eventually, through experimenting, I found a SansAmp Acoustic DI to be effective in dealing with the quack and harshness of this pickup/preamp combination.

The SansAmp has a tube/mic emulator feature that helps soften the sound of these pickups and gives it a fairly convincing miked sound.  It has a sweepable mid control along with bass and treble controls. The mids sweep from 170 Hz to 3.5 kHz. Which mid frequencies to cut will vary depending on the guitar and the amount of tube/mic emulation used and the individual guitar.  I found that my Taylor guitars responded well to the blend knob (amount of tube/mic emulator mixed with guitar signal) set between 10 and 2 o'clock with the mids significantly cut around 750 to 800 Hz.  I then adjusted the bass and treble, which are shelved, according to the body style of the guitar I was playing.

It  has 1/4 and XLR outputs, -20db pad, effect loop hookup, and phantom power.  Although the LR Baggs Para Acoustic is very popular, I found the SansAmp to do the best job of sweetening this particular pickup system.  It is all very subjective but there are solutions.  Don't give in to the sound of those quacking rubber bands. ;-)

Also, although I haven't tried it, PUTW makes something that is called the *Quack Buster* which they claim deals with this problem in saddle pickups.  It looks like an easy install and it's only $60.00 bucks.   

Michael
SR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »

This works really good. I do specails at my church,and I use the  Ultrasound D.I. box. As a matter of fact the guitar I used this past Sunday has brass pins,nut and bridge as well as the fishman Ag pickup.

To me it  sounded to bright but the Ultrasound was able to take that brightness and make it sound real good.  :GRN> :GRN> :mellow: :mellow: Hey Doc if you get a chance to read this good job on the  PDI  :GRN>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: