Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: amplifier for acoustic or solid body electric  (Read 1859 times)
leftybill

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »

Is there one amp anyone would recommend for acoustic playing as well as using a solid body electric, even if it means using an effect pedal for the electric.
thanks
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »

I like old Fender tube amps.Warm signal for both acoustic and electric.Gotta love tube's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Nephidoc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 05:04:46 AM »

I just started using an old Crate Vintage Club 30.
It sounds realy nice for both.
You can get one for around $200 on Flea-Bay.
The only problem is they are louder than my wife
think is necessary for a 45 year old man.
Sheesh.......

Merry Christmas everyone.

Stan

CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S
ctb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:18:21 AM »

I like the Roland Jazz Chorus series.

CTB south georgia

2005 Larrivee OM 03RE A2.2
Seagull 20th Anniv. Maple edition
2000 Taylor 714CE
1998 PRS Custom 22 w/10 top
approx. 1988 Takamine EF349 (solid mahogany)
Yamaha Classical (el cheapo)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 06:58:25 PM »

I like old Fender tube amps.Warm signal for both acoustic and electric.Gotta love tube's.

Is the Hot Rod Deluxe any good for amplifying acoustics? If so, how should it be set?

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:14:10 PM »

I just started using an old Crate Vintage Club 30.
It sounds realy nice for both.
You can get one for around $200 on Flea-Bay.
The only problem is they are louder than my wife
think is necessary for a 45 year old man.
Sheesh.......

Merry Christmas everyone.

Stan

I just read that Pete Townsend believes his hearing loss was due to monitor headphones and not load playing. Maybe your wife will buy it, maybe not, but its worth the shot.

Turning 45 in five weeks, so I feel your pain.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

If that is what he thinks, then ole Petey has lost his mind as well.

"The Who also hit the record books in 1976 as the loudest pop group ever, after a concert which tipped the monitoring equipment at 120 decibels - the equivalent of a pneumatic drill - 50 metres away from the sound system."

If you have seen any pictures of those concerts you will understand that the stacks were behind the performers....

Pete is using his loss as a warning to others, particularly young people who wear earbuds too loud. I notice that teenagers seem to say "what?" a lot.

Ron

mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »

ronmac - my thoughts exactly! lol!

leftybill - another possibility: how bout a dedicated acoustic amp and a guitar amp modeller/effects unit (this is my solution: Johson J-Station into AER Compact 60). That way you have the just the acoustic amp when you need it, and the Pod / whatever can be used with the electric. Pod like units models amps and speakers, so plugging it into a PA / full range acoustic amp is fine (what it's designed for) - or even into a hi-fi. You've then got the choice of all sorts of fun different electric guitar amp models to play with, not to mention effects. suits me great! (i'm now looking to sell my marshall!)

pods / j-stations / beringer V-amps etc can be had pretty cheap, especially if you go s/h.

Dan 

Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 06:05:15 AM »

I would echo what Rob has said here. My Deluxe Reverb and Music Man (Leo Fender's second company) do a credible job. Another one to consider that is not tube is the Fender Princeton Chorus (non-DSP). For a solid state amp, it does a surprisingly good job.

Seems to me that Peavey about 10-15 or more years ago did an amp that had one channel intended for Electric and one for Acoustic. I think it was the Austin 400? It did have the name of a city. Could also have been the Reno 400.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
tholmes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:25:07 PM »

I'm going to be the dissenter here, I guess. I've never found an amp designed for electric guitar that I thought was satisfactory for reproducing a good acoustic sound. They all seem to me to lack something in the higher frequencies, a "sparkle", for lack of a better desription, that dedicated acoustic amps have. Way back before the earth was cool, I used a Roland keyboard amp with passable results, but I've tried Fender tube and various solid-state amps and was never totally satisfied with the acoustic sound of any of them.

just my $.02

Tom

'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000
gsblaisdell

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »

Check this out...

http://http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps/padefault.htm
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »

Yeah, I love the tone of my old Vibrolux, sounds great even with my BW Dread!

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
digital

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 06:08:12 AM »

I'm going to be the dissenter here, I guess. I've never found an amp designed for electric guitar that I thought was satisfactory for reproducing a good acoustic sound. They all seem to me to lack something in the higher frequencies, a "sparkle", for lack of a better desription, that dedicated acoustic amps have.

So would a dedicated Acoustic Amp with a Pod or Modeller be "better" than using a PA amp?

Not to hijack the thread but what about the price/value of the "ideal" solution for both acoustic and solid body electric?

Thanks
Wayne

Beginner with GAS -
Larrivee OM-03R, Tokai Rosewood Tele, Washburn OE-30,
Fender 'Wayne's World' MIJ Squire Strat;
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor;
Jeff Sigurdson- Spruce top Classical
tholmes

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »

Hey, Wayne. Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I'll try to answer your questions, based solely on my own experience, lest someone get the idea that I'm an expert on these matters :TON>

IF I had to choose one set-up for both acoustic and solid-body electric, I would choose an acoustic amp and add a processor that has amp modeiing. It's easier to limit the freq. response of a full range amp like an acoustic or PA amp for use with an electric guitar than it would be to get a true acoustic sound from a (typical) electric guitar amp. You can't coax the higher freqs. from an electric amp because it's specifically designed NOT to reproduce them.

Tom

'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000
John Westcott

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »

I use a Roland AC60 for my acoustics along with a Roland KCW1 subwoofer. I run a Fender Cyber-Twin or a little Vox AD30tv for my electric guitars.  For a lot less then the price of a used vintage tube amp look into the VOX for your electric $239 and check out the Roland $450 for your acoustic.

I owned a 65 reissue twin reverb and a silver faced deluxe reverb and they were great for my electrics but they never sounded right with the acoustic guitars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: