Question about Forum Rules #3

Started by tchlfxvt, March 05, 2006, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need help in understanding this rule, could someone enlighten me ?

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars - Larrivee dealers follow a MAP policy.  Because of this, please refrain from posting prices that you paid or quotes you received from dealers.  This serves to protect both dealers and consumers.

1)What is MAP ............I am guessing Manufacturer approved pricing ?

This serves to protect both dealers and consumers..................How  does it do that ? Protect them /us from what ?
Thanks ,Tom

00 L-09 Larrivee
1998 Dan Electro
94 Heritage 575
1953 Gibson L-7C
02 Shelley Park Encore  Petite Bouche

MAP  is something like Minimum Advertized Pricing.

I think it is a company's way of protecting dealers ability to make a living.
Its probably deeper and more involved, but not really a big thing to me. 
Buy locally if you can.  Or shop for price.

phill    :mellow:
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

MAP  is something like Minimum Advertized Pricing.

OK

Buy locally if you can. 

I agree 100% I bought my fin L09 at the local Guitar shop

Or shop for price.

That's when I went on line and found 2 Larrivee's for a friend of mine @ a great price.
Tom

00 L-09 Larrivee
1998 Dan Electro
94 Heritage 575
1953 Gibson L-7C
02 Shelley Park Encore  Petite Bouche

It's simple. It protects Larrivee's product image and value. If deep discounts are advertised, people will think Larrivee's are marked up in order to be marked down. If dealers make their discount prices public, Larrivee will be forced to raise their wholesale price in order to protect their image. Therefore, the no price discussion rule protects Larrivee consumers too.
I used to be "edman" here......

Quote from: edman on March 05, 2006, 06:24:11 PM
It's simple. It protects Larrivee's product image and value. If deep discounts are advertised, people will think Larrivee's are marked up in order to be marked down.

The Minimum Advertised Price also protects Larrivee dealers from a larger competitor who advertises predatory pricing to drive the smaller shops out of business.

Jim

the forum rule is designed to try to keep the forum from becoming an just advertising venue.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

My take is that it is there to prevent consumers from playing dealer "a" off dealer "b" or dealer "c", ect, thereby further softening the market and creating a price war. With a few exceptions, such as Ebay, the internet sharply favors the consumer vs. the merchant and generally forces prices downward. Same reason manufacturers stipulate MAPs.

Keeps Zach from dealing with stupidity,being bulled,dealing with children of adult ages and us dealer from slappin each other silly.....
:POL>

Though I like getting slapped silly now and again. :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: WVUBAMA on March 05, 2006, 08:36:53 PM
My take is that it is there to prevent consumers from playing dealer "a" off dealer "b" or dealer "c", ect, thereby further softening the market and creating a price war. With a few exceptions, such as Ebay, the internet sharply favors the consumer vs. the merchant and generally forces prices downward. Same reason manufacturers stipulate MAPs.

I agree and disagree. Your take on Ebay is a little off in my opinion. I witness people and small dealers selling new guitar gear for more than big retailers' regular prices way too often on Ebay. Ebay customers get caught up in the bidding game. It makes them do stupid things.
I used to be "edman" here......

Quote from: unclrob on March 05, 2006, 08:44:29 PM

Though I like getting slapped silly now and again. :GRN>

Do ya gatta be silly  to  get slapped  ??? :huh:
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Daysailor,No but it doesn't hurt the fun or is that silliness :GRN>
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: WVUBAMA on March 05, 2006, 08:36:53 PM

Here is why manufacturers have MAPs.

Dealer A is a small, locally owned shop in a medium sized town. It's a low-volume store that sells a decent amount of guitars and accessories and provides great customer service.

Dealer B opens a store in town. Dealer B is part of a large chain of stores. They are a high-volume chain that provides little customer service and operates on small margins.

Without MAPs, Dealer B decides it wants to put Dealer A out of business. So it sells specific items below cost and advertises those items at the below-cost prices. Dealer B can afford to take the loss on the products becaue of its volume multiple stores. Dealer A cannot afford to sell below cost and cannot match prices.

Result: Dealer A cannot match Dealer B's advertised prices and loses sales. Dealer A closes shop, leaving Dealer B alone in the market.

When the chain that Dealer B belongs to does that in enough places, it controls a large part of the market and can then tell manufacturers what to do.  That is bad for everyone.

Jim

Dealer B does that NOW.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Is that dealer B or dealer GC?

E. Shoaf

Quote from: unclrob on March 06, 2006, 11:03:21 AM
Dealer B does that NOW.

But they cannot put ads in the local paper advertising that they do.

Jim

I love the term"level the playing field".The only way to have a "level playing field" all dealer's need to recieve the same price and the same terms.Not things like 50 and 10 or 70 off pay in 180 days.I can handle getting a free shipping if paid in so many days a bonus,but not They get better pricing because they put in large orders,yes I know they don't pay on time but there so big and your so small.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks