Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Body Shapes/sizes  (Read 2335 times)
TSW

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2003, 04:49:05 PM »

Does anyone know why Larrivee says that the OM is the more "versatile" body shape/size as it pertains to strumming vs. finger picking?  The L is between the D and the OM and would seem to me to be the more versatile guitar.  Anyone have any experiences that may contradict or confirm this theory?

Also... why are Larrivee's 12 strings made only in the L shape now?

Thanks in advance for the input!
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 05:41:30 PM »

I asked that same ? once.I still prefer the L over the OM.Don't get me wrong there both great body style's,my OM is a better couch size guitar but I always on my L body for most of my playing.
I'm not sure if they only make there 12's in L bodies,We've got a used D with the black plastic hanging in the shop.I did take in 2 L body 12's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 07:58:28 PM »

six of one half dozen of another.

I wrote that section of the website a long time ago, and I do feel that OM's are very versitile. But you are absolutely right, the L is probably the MOST versitile out of the bunch.

Traditionalists believe that the OM is the most versitile, so you sort of need to make that kind of statement if you wish to attract that crowd.  :)

Many of those traditionalists haven't yet tried an L body.

ML.
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 08:02:28 PM »

... in regard to the 12 string issue.

The D and J make really nice 12 strings, but the "L" just gives us the sound that we wish to make. It seems to be just the right size to produce that Umph that 12 strings need. Lots of clarity without the BOOM that comes from a jumbo.

We have concidered making an LJ body in a 12 string but that has yet to materialize as a standard model.

ML
Griff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 08:53:01 PM »

We have concidered making an LJ body in a 12 string but that has yet to materialize as a standard model.
Matthew, please let me know when this comes about....drool, drool!

But, yes, judging by the results (i.e. my L-10-12), the L body is just about as ideal for the 12-string sound as you can get.

I have been playing 12-strings for 40 years and this is the most incedible sounding 12-string I have ever played - rich harmonics and complex tone that goes on, and on, and on...  :D

Griff

Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')
twelvestrng

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 03:13:12 AM »

If we could continue the twelve string topic a little more.

How does the L shape affect bass response compared to a D.  What I've been looking for, for years, is a twelve string that may be skewed a little towards bass and has sustain that won't quit.

I know I can tune down a step or two and put on heavier guage strings but I was just curious if there are any twelve strings that  come close to meeting my previous description.   Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Twelvestrng
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 02:49:29 PM »

We've got a few in stock,overall the bass responce has been rather nice once you get rid of the elixer's.I've put Dean Markley 11's on our L03BW,nice responce,tuned  to pitch, I just like a little more meat on the back side of the neck,like to fit more to my bad technic of my left hand.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
charlies3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 06:29:25 PM »

Matthew,  bring back the LJ!   My son has a 1996 LJ-05-12 which is simply a spectacular guitar.   We did a head to head comparison of the LJ with some Taylors and Martin 12s, even a Larrivee J-09-12 in Maple last year.   The LJ was clearly our favorite, and our purchase.   What a powerhouse!    
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: