Advice on Recorders

Started by CF Larrivee, February 15, 2006, 11:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Before I go to that final gig in the sky, I want to record somet stuff with every guitar I have. Just solo. So, what would you techno folks suggest I look at for a recorder? Remember, you are dealing with a guy that doesn't even own a computer, so I don't know a byte from a vampire bite. -_-
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tascam DP01FX....hands down the simplest, best thing going IMO for what you want to do.   I had originally purchased a Lexicon Omega computer interface after selling my Akai Proffessional 4 track to high  speed DBX cassette about two years ago....the Cubase software that came with the Lexicon was WAY too complicated.   I spent a whole weekend reading the manual and expirementing and all I could get was what sounded like me singing on the bottom of a pool somewhere.    I sold it and bought the Tascam and within about ten minutes of receiving it, I was laying down tracks that sounded pretty darn good.   the FX version has onboard effects and phantom power.  You may want the CD version to copy directly on it's own "burner" since you don't have your own computer.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

and here's a smokin' deal on one from a reputable seller (actually they have ten available)   I paid 20 bucks less for mine without the burner...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-DP01FX-CD-DIGITAL-RECORDER-DP-01FX-CD-DP01FXCD_W0QQitemZ7390887453QQcategoryZ41480QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

I have a Tascam DP-01FX as well and got mine on Ebay too.  They are definitely easy to use and record nice and clean..  You might want to invest in a condenser mic as well.  I got the Audio Technica AT2020 for little$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Studio-Condenser-Mic-Recording-Mi_W0QQitemZ7390020647QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For the $, it's a great mic. 

With the two, your options are without limits.

I have the zoom ps04, which goes for about $200...very nice, a little bit tough to get the settings exactly like you want, but with no modifications you get a great live sound.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Can you share a little more on the Zoom PS04 Palmtop? I recently purchases a Rode NT-1A condenser mike and am curious if the PS04 has power for external cond microphone? Even if not, I'm really looking around like others, it sounds like, for a cost effective but good quality remote recording solution.

Tx,

Joe

Joe
D-03
L-03

It sounds like recording is unfamiliar territory to you. If you have solid material and you feel you have something that you really want to preserve, you might look into going with an decent recording studio and an actual engineer. It takes a whole lot of money and skill to get good recordings. Untreated rooms always have that bedroom boogieman sound lingering around.  even if you get a balanced recording by dealing with standing waves and such and happen to capture a decent picture of the guitars sound, there's always that reverb of the untreated room coloring the recording. I don't mean home recordings are unlistenable, some are very enjoyable.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 18, 2006, 10:50:51 PM
It sounds like recording is unfamiliar territory to you. If you have solid material and you feel you have something that you really want to preserve, you might look into going with an decent recording studio and an actual engineer. It takes a whole lot of money and skill to get good recordings. Untreated rooms always have that bedroom boogieman sound lingering around.  even if you get a balanced recording by dealing with standing waves and such and happen to capture a decent picture of the guitars sound, there's always that reverb of the untreated room coloring the recording. I don't mean home recordings are unlistenable, some are very enjoyable.

This is a very good suggestion.  For someone interested in learning about recording, using it as a practice tool, remembering ideas or just having fun... you can invest very little money and get very usable results.  However, for a single project, which it sounds like yo want to have as polished as possible, one would invest much less time and get much better results by paying for some studio time.  That or hooking up with someone in the area who already has the home recording equipment and a good working knowledge of it. 

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

All great points. And being frugal, if there's a room that can be "the room" to set up, there are some inexpensive things that can be done. Look for ways to keep sound from bouncing around. This is a good story; I used every JOANNs coupon from people I knew for a while to purchase heavy sound absorbing fabric to drape all walls and cover hard surfaces, floor to ceiling. Same for all doors, both sets. I set up my DAW a little bit at a time. Becoming friends with local music store sales persons (you have to separate the knowledgeable from the sell you-at-any-cost ones) is something that will happen if you hang out there regularly. My wife rools her eyes when I say I'm going to Sam Ash for a bit, but the point here; you can get most everthing on sale if you take your time. Once, a sales person I developed a relationship with was moved into management, and I got some good deals. I was there the other day, a sale item was sold out; the sales rep was in the process of telling me "sorry man" when I asked in a friendly way if so and so was there, he was, and in 2 sec he bounced me to the next level better item at the sale price! And when I go in with a respected on-line price to match, never any questions...."here you go"....
I can tell you much of the best advice for a lot of stuff I've gotten over the last two years has come from the good people in this forum!
Good luck and have fun!

Joe
Joe
D-03
L-03

I went the Lexicon Cubase route and think its pretty simple and intuative, at least for the basics. I had my portable mini disc before that which I still carry out with me. I have a battery powered condenser mic for it and have plugged directly in mixing boards. Real easy and sounds great.
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff

Guys, I'm interested in this stuff.
I used to record with Cubase on a Mac, several years ago, but it was my cousin doin' the operations I've always avoided to put my noise into trying to use the program. Unfortunately I los the dat cassette where I had my songs and sometime ago I was thinking to start recording again, since I changed computer buying a newer and more powerful one.
I still had to get a soundboard but I've got to this and other posts and I start to think about getting a portable mixer to record instead doing it with the computer. The advantages are the portable is "portable" so I can bring it with me in case I go anywhere, I don't have to download or to buy a program to record, I don't have to waist too much time learning how to use the program, and others.
I saw the DP-01FX and I am also interested in the 2488 but I don't know how useful is, due the fact it costs almost the double of the DP. If I'd have to get the DP, I'd surely get the one without the cd since I'd transfer the files to my computer.
Something I'd like to know: I've read it produces uncompressed audio files, but what frequency? Also. How is it possible to record or to do a drum track where to record the other instruments on? Is it possible to use the many existing libraries, drums, keyboards, other presets?
Thanx for all the infos and help.
Fender Rosewood Telecaster, Fender '50 Classic Telecaster, late '800 italian classical, Larrivée L05