Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which recording program do you use?  (Read 1461 times)
schubert4

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »

I just sold my mac with pro tools.  I have a new laptop that is going to be taking over the recording duties but I need a good program first.  Pro Tools was way to in depth for what i need.  Any suggestions?  thanks,

OM-03
<title>myspace.com/harvestjones</title>
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:00:15 PM »

PC or Mac?

Have you tried Audacity? It is free!

Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I am using Adobe Audition 2.0 and would highly recommend it. It absolutely blows PT away! This is the third version of this software I have used and they really took it to another level with this new release. It is very full featured, so there will be a learning curve, but if you are going to do serious recording (PC only) I can't think of anything better. The only down side, for some folks, is that it does not write (it will read) Midi tracks.

Ron

jwhitcomb3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:16:03 PM »

I've been using MOTU's Digital Performer for 10 years. Great program, Mac only.

-Jonathan
Jackwr

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 04:09:42 AM »

I bought a Lexicon Omega and it came with cubase LE which serves my needs well. I only do a track or two at a time though.

Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:46:49 PM »

If you are talking just software, I higly recommend nTrack. I found it easy to learn and use and you get excellent results for a fraction of the cost of ProTools and other big names.

www.ntrack.com

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
onetubetone

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 06:32:15 PM »

Ah I love protools on my PC.  I have 6.9, and I love the amount of features :)
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 12:39:24 AM »

I'm using Sonar 4 Studio. I've been using Cakewalk since version 9 through all of the Sonar versions. I love it!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
mothman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 07:22:34 PM »

Schubert4-

If your new computer might be another Mac, Garageband works well. It's certainly the easiest, most intuitive audio program I've seen. The trick will be getting the sound in, but I've gotten very good results running a small mixer > $35 Griffin USB iMic > Garageband.

- Mothman

Mothman

Larrivee L-05
Larrivee Special Edition Walnut Parlor
and ten other siblings...
schubert4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »

Yeah Mothman, I have heard and read a lot of good things about Garageband. I went with Presonus' Firebox with Cubase LE.  Would let readers know my input (cause everyone raved about the Firebox) but I can't get a mic read yet.  I have troubleshooted everything and gave up.  I am calling a studio engineer to see what is going on...  Uhhhh, it never ends.  peace.

OM-03
<title>myspace.com/harvestjones</title>
Jackwr

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 11:03:53 PM »

Yeah Mothman, I have heard and read a lot of good things about Garageband. I went with Presonus' Firebox with Cubase LE.  Would let readers know my input (cause everyone raved about the Firebox) but I can't get a mic read yet.  I have troubleshooted everything and gave up.  I am calling a studio engineer to see what is going on...  Uhhhh, it never ends.  peace.
How are you determining no mic read? On my Omega usb device I thought I had a mic input problem, but then noticed the levels on the software display were picking up the mics. That clued me to find out I had the output going to the laptop's sound card and the speakers were off intentionally. I wanted to monitor via the headphone jack on the Omega unit. Had to switch it (audio output) to the asio device in Cubase.

Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: