Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another (hopefully somewhat unique/specific) pickup question  (Read 1140 times)
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:54:19 AM »

OK, I've started (yet again) to think about a pickup for the D-09.  I'm interested in passive, AST-type, minimal-guitar-modification pickups that reproduce the sound of my guitar.  I don't much like the UST/piezo-type ones.  Mostly for use in solo or small group setting.  Occasionally for use with larger praise band (drums, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar).  I would probably get an outboard preamp with some EQ capability (such as the Baggs PADI or Pure preamp), but may delay that purchase until I see what the passive pickup alone sounds like.

Now, I've been around here long enough to have gone through similar discussions before, but I am seeking some specific feedback/opinions.  The two that I am considering (mostly because they are so popular around here) are the Baggs I-Beam passive and the K&K Pure Western mini.  The price is about the same.  Installation looks easy enough for both (maybe a little easier with the I-Beam).

Does anyone have experience with both pickups that would be willing to give me some clue as to which I might prefer?  Alternatively, are there others that I need to consider?

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 03:32:28 AM »

I've installed both.The 3 K+K install's resulted with the removal of the systems.The complaint was that the pickups where too hot and got worst when using the pre amp from K+K.I personnally found them harsh sounding.Several install styles where use.Direct to the guitar and applied to the small board pervided then installed to the guitar.We also tried leaving parts of the 3 pu system out.
The IBeam easy a very easy install.You must use a preamp with it.Everybody who has had the IBeam installed has been very happy,hell I have one of my guitars setup with one.If your going to play in a larger louder group I would add a feedback buster because you will get some.

Please no stone throwing this is just my HO and we all know about well my opinions. :GRN>

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 04:22:40 AM »

Thanks, Rob.  I always appreciate your opinion.

Anyone else?

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
mdrulez

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:16:49 AM »

my roommate just ordered a K&K for his L-03, so I can give you input on its sound.

I recommended that to him because so many people have rave reviews of it

Just a note on the iBeam.  I've heard that it will feedback a lot, especially for bigger bodied rosewood guitars.  A friend of mine has it on his DV-10 and has to use various methods to fight feedback.  It does sound extremely clean though.  He uses it for worship, so he plays it in a similar style that you would.

Just 2 cents.

Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »

Hi Jerry,

I am also a fan of the IBeam, although I highly recommend the active version. The IBeam has a very pleasant voice and sounds great once it is setup properly and fine tuned for your guitar and application.

For your purpose you shouldn't have to worry about feedback. I have used an active IBeam in my L on stage with a full drumkit, keyboards and  electric guitar with full floor monitors and stacks setup for crowds of 5K+ with no problem. If you can have a microphone on stage without feedback (treat the IBeam as a small mic inside your giuitar) there is no reason why you should get feedback from this, or any other pickup of this type.

Pickup systems are not simple throw it in and plug and play. It takes a little bit of time to get them optimized for your purpose, but the effort is worth it. The IBeam can be easily moved to find the sweet spot in your guitar.

Ron

lleo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »

Fishman SBT-C. No holes, no preamp, no battery, can get removed if you get tired. Great response. I've installed two or three on acoustis and classicals.
As usual, beside the technology, it's up your taste.

Fender Rosewood Telecaster, Fender '50 Classic Telecaster, late '800 italian classical, Larrivée L05
saffron_boots

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 02:45:12 PM »

I have an active I-Beam in my D-09 and have no complaints about it. It was definitely a step up from the under-saddle piezo I was quacking with before. Watch the volume though, as the Larrivée's soundboard can get away from you. Feedback buster solved the problem albeit with a slight change in the guitar's tone. Sounded more like a Martin afterwards...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: