Anyone here an acoustic guitar snob?

Started by allengeetarr, March 01, 2006, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

By that I mean acoustic vs. electric.

I started a few years ago with a cheapo Washburn hyper-start copy, got a nice Tele, bought a Jimmie Vaughan Strat and then a Danelectro reissue, all through a Fender Pro Jr. Spent WAY too much time tiddling knobs for "that" sound instead of studying...

Then I bought my Seagull Folk and all of the plug in guitars were gone. After that a nice Regal RD40 round neck resonator. And then of course I got my OM-03R recently and I am realy ruined. Oh, and I received a Vega banjo 5 string for the Dannelectro....

All of my electrics are now sold,traded or given as gifts. To me electrics just are not "real" guitars. They have no feel, no soul, and they do not allow your body to actually feel the notes. No flame meant, just my opinion.

Am I alone in this?

I guess if push comes to shove, I'm still more of an electric GASser.  When it comes to acoustics, I've got a dread, a very nice OM, a 12-string, a parlor and a spare beater, and that strikes me as more than enough.  (I understand that one could want one of each in rosewood and mahogany, and maybe a maple or hog-top, but that way lies madness!  For me anyway.)

For electrics, on the other hand...well, you need a Strat, a Tele or two, various different humbucking options, something with P-90s, solid bodies, semi-hollows, 12-strings, a sitar....

I play in two cover bands, so I've convinced myself I need all those different options.  (Yeah, right.)
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Don't think I'm an acoustic snob (others may differ!), but I'm playing acoustic almost exclusively at the moment. I've noticed, particularly when recording (when the ruffle of your clothes and breathing can screw up a take!), that the acoustic guitar requires a much greater degree of control and sensitivity than electric - at least for solo fingerpicking. I guess that's a bit of an unfair comparison since most of the electric recording I do is within the context of other instruments, but I think it probably still stands up (?).

My electrics are mostly collecting dust, and only get played when I have to play them (much of the material I do for one band i'm in is pretty exclusively electric). 

GAS wise, it's now acoustic all the way for me. I'd still love a decent 12, an OM or two, spruce or cedar topped hog, something in koa/walnut/blackwood, an 00 / 000, an archtop (found an AMAZING Eastman jazzer that beats even the D'Angelico's I've played at 1/3 of the price) ... Top of the list though is the Fox Ergo.... (dream on!). I don't think I even want to play one for fear of ruining my perception of my existing collection and the worry of what it could do to my bank balance.

My electric gas has been pretty much sated by the Parker NiteFly (with the Roland VG-8 modelling it can do approximate pretty much any guitar) and the Gibson ES-137 Custom (varitone switch can make it sound like a big jazzer, a Les Paul, a 335 or a tele). Still, I wouldn't say no to a top of the range Parker Fly, a thinline Tele, a top notch strat...

I wouldn't say electrics have no soul, but I think I know what your getting at. There's something nice and organic about the self contained unit of an acoustic. And, especially with the mass manufactured ones, they tend to feel a bit blank, perhaps a tad characterless. It's nice knowing that a greater degree of human skill (and hopefully love and care!) goes into building a decent acoustic (contenious perhaps?), and it thing you can somehow feel that in the end product. But this could all be bias in my head from knowing something of how their made.

If you want to feel an electric, I guess you just gotta turn it up more!

D
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

I'm an acoustic guitar snob, but not the same type you are!  ^_^

I love both electric and acoustic guitars. I have several USA Hamer electrics that just kill. I'd played other brands for 25 years and discovered USA Hamers and that was that.

As far as acoustics go, I love 'em as long as they don't have any steenkin' wires on 'em. When I want to play electric, I'll pick up an electric. When I play an acoustic, I want wood. All wood (frets, nut/saddle, strings, tuners excepted). I don't even like plastic binding. And I certainly don't want a piezo within shouting distance...man, I hate the sound of a piezo pickup! Like fingernails on a blackboard to me. If I need the guitar louder I'll pop a mic in front of it.

So you see, there are acoustic guitar snobs, and acoustic guitar snobs!

-Jonathan
http://www.e-misery.com

As far as I'm concerned you're on an island all by your lonesome but I'm sure some misguided souls would like to join you there.  I have six or seven electric guitars including a Larrivée and I'm playing them! One must have a tube amp as well though.   :wacko:  :mellow: :ph34r:

I think that I'm having a tough enough time trying to afford the acoustics I have that if I as much into electrics, I would be destitute for sure.  I love old Teles and old tube amps.  Nothing else.  Why mess with perfection.  They sound good dirty or clean.  You can rock out or get that awesome chicken pickin' tone like Danny Gatton had.  That kicks a$$!!!

Back when I was in my late teens/early 20's I worked in a music store and it was the late 80's early 90's so the hair bands were in full regalia.  I used to watch some of these guys and they could play with lightening speed and agility and I thought it was all good but they had so much gear.  I couldn't understand why you would need the compressor, the three different distortion pedals, phaser, flanger, chorus, aural exciters...etc  Then the Roland GP-8 came out.  It was like 8 Boss pedals in one rackmount unit.  Then there were cables, Floyd Rose tremolos...etc so much stuff.  Even now, I will buy an issue of Guitar Player every so often and I have no idea what half the stuff is for??? 

I think I decided back in those early days, that acoustic would be easier in so many ways.  Hard to bring the Les Paul and Marshall stack to the beach to play for the ladies.  "Ugh, where do I plug in?"

That being said, I would love an old beat up Tele and a Fender Twin!  Go to 11!!!! 

I guess I'm on the edge of becoming one. I gave up on my electrics a few years ago and converted them into really nice acounstics which actually get played. My electrics gathered dust unless my friends and I would get together for jam.

There is something very etheral about being about to pick up a guitar and just have music jump out of it with the first strum.

However, my eyes keep roving to some of the Gretsch hollow bodies with the bigsby bar. Someday. (but then I'd proably have to buy a new amp, and the pendulam might swing back in the other direction)

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

My preference is for acoustic guitars not plugged in.That said I also play electric guitar and acoustic electric.I consider myself a musician so whatever the tune calls for I use the right tool.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Wel there you go. Exactly. Well put Rob. 

Thankyou Kind sir. :GRN>

OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteGAS wise, it's now acoustic all the way for me. I'd still love a decent 12, an OM or two, spruce or cedar topped hog, something in koa/walnut/blackwood, an 00 / 000, an archtop (found an AMAZING Eastman jazzer that beats even the D'Angelico's I've played at 1/3 of the price) ...

+1 on the Eastmans!  I'd love one of those, but I don't think I'l ever play enough jazz to justify having one.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I played electric 'til I was 18. Then I grew up...   :GRN>

JEZ!!!!When I turned 18 all I remember is throwing up... :GRN>
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on March 02, 2006, 10:03:26 AM

Woohoo, party on Rob!!!  I vaguely remember being 18 as well....it did happen though...I think?

OK Denis now your pushing it you want me actually remember more.....JEZ!!!!!!!!! :GRN>
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I am on the verge of buying my first electric and a nice tube amp. I'm looking forward to the fun.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I wanna see someone pull out a les paul and a marshall 1/2 stack for a sing along around the campfire  :GRN> ...its acoustic all the way for me.
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood

I hope I never get called a snob - but - I've never owned an electric and probably never will.  They just don't feel right to me.  To skinny or something.

My electric playing buddies get to talking about pedals and pedal boards and all that.  I just shug and tell 'em "I play acoustic.  Don't need no stinking pedals."  :GRN>  Guess I can't say that anymore as I'm using an AD-8 now.   :UND>

Quote from: unclrob on March 02, 2006, 10:03:26 AM
Rob you crack me up.   :GRN>
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: aboss on March 02, 2006, 03:44:36 PM
I wanna see someone pull out a les paul and a marshall 1/2 stack for a sing along around the campfire  :GRN> ...its acoustic all the way for me.

My Les Paul arrives next week.  Just tell me where the campfire is and I'm there!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I'm an acoustic slob.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more