Wow! Dave Comes Thru With Sd-60

Started by goliathslayer, April 14, 2004, 12:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would just like to thank Dave at Guitar Adoptions.

He is a truly great businessman and I wouldnt hesitate to do business with him again and again...

I placed a $4000 custom order for an all KOA L-10 and...lost my job.

Long story short, Dave let me apply the downpayment to a more afforable guitar whiche he recommended - the SD60

All I can say is this is the best guitar I have ever had, and I've had lots!. It's a slope traditional dreadnought, wonderful heringbone binding/purfling and abalone around the sound hole

And the sound....loud...rich...like a combination between a Larrivee L-10 and a Martin Pre War D28.
And That's a GREAT combination.

The headstock is also so cool...slotted gives it that old time look and the logo is beautifully inlaid.
There's a big fat neck that is great for finger picking but not so thick as to interfere with flatpicking.

This is going to be one of the most classic guitars that Larrivee..or anybody...has ever made.
I played it next to a COllings D2H and a Bourgeois Dread and it blows them away. No detail is overlooked.

ALl I can say to Dave is THANK YOU. If you havent seen this guitar, think about it - take a look, it's diferent, but it is terrific,

BTW I am in now way affiliated with Dave or GA...just a VERY satisfied customer! And thanks to Matthew and the Larrivee foks who had the vision and courage to put this model out...it may be a sleeper, but watch the popularity grow once it gets raves in the mags...!!!

You're causing me a lot of pain.........GAS pain !!!!  Whats the diff between the 50 and 60? Rosewood vs mahogany? Also, is the 60 a burst or is that optional, and if it's optional is it also available on the 50? Also, whats the best price anyone here has seen on them?
Larrivee OM-9.....Taylor Killer, Tone2DaBone, Angels Singin', Nuff Said !

I hope this is OK, but here's a link with info on all 3 versions of of the SD50.
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/prodcat/cus...?substring=sd50

And both SD60 models.
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/prodcat/cus...?substring=sd60

(At this point, Larrivee does not have this info up on their site yet)

But here's a Family photo! ;)

That sunburst is just too black for me. I would be hard pressed not to pull my credit card out and get the 60 if that sunburst were just black around the very edge. I'm looking round town to see if i can find a 50 to try, as i cannot buy a guitar, especially at that kind of money w/o trying it thuroughly. But if it's anything like you guys are saying, i'd walk to the moon for a sunburst version as i described. The natural top 50 will have to suffice tho.....that is, if it sounds as incredible as u say.

I like the dark sunburst, I just couldn't justify the cost!!!!  $700 or $800 more for the paint job!  I'm looking for beat up but sound j-45 for slide work and that's the amount I have budgeted.  Couldn't spend it on a paintjob!  But it is gorgeous...  I wish I could have justified the cost...

I agree about playing one first, but the one I played first must have had dead strings, because it didn't have the sound mine has.  It still blew the doors of everything I lined up against it, it just didn't ring like mine.  Assuming it is as good as mine you won't be dissapointed in any way with the natural 50.  The honey colored Mahog is gorgeous.  Mine actually reminds me of Koa, and yes I have owned koa guitars.  It's less opalescent of course, but it is truly gorgeous quality stuff that Larrivee put in it.  Like they say, if you can afford it, buy one down from the top, not one up from the bottom.  

Oh yeah, gotta keep the daily quota up...  BLACKWOOD!
"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho

Stop it.......you're killin' me ! :D  

QuoteI would just like to thank Dave at Guitar Adoptions.

He is a truly great businessman and I wouldnt hesitate to do business with him again and again...

I placed a $4000 custom order for an all KOA L-10 and...lost my job.

Long story short, Dave let me apply the downpayment to a more afforable guitar whiche he recommended - the SD60

All I can say is this is the best guitar I have ever had, and I've had lots!. It's a slope traditional dreadnought, wonderful heringbone binding/purfling and abalone around the sound hole

And the sound....loud...rich...like a combination between a Larrivee L-10 and a Martin Pre War D28.
And That's a GREAT combination.

The headstock is also so cool...slotted gives it that old time look and the logo is beautifully inlaid.
There's a big fat neck that is great for finger picking but not so thick as to interfere with flatpicking.

This is going to be one of the most classic guitars that Larrivee..or anybody...has ever made.
I played it next to a COllings D2H and a Bourgeois Dread and it blows them away. No detail is overlooked.

ALl I can say to Dave is THANK YOU. If you havent seen this guitar, think about it - take a look, it's diferent, but it is terrific,

BTW I am in now way affiliated with Dave or GA...just a VERY satisfied customer! And thanks to Matthew and the Larrivee foks who had the vision and courage to put this model out...it may be a sleeper, but watch the popularity grow once it gets raves in the mags...!!!
:blink: DId your guitar rally "blew away" COlling D2H. I would love to hear clip of you guitar. I actually have Collings D3 being built. D2H with fancy cosmetic=D3 :D  

Don't get me wrong, everyone agrees that the Collings are perhaps the best small shop dreadnought made today. Maybe it was the one I played, but it didnt have that cannon boom, of course the string were prob old and those tale a few years to open up.

Are you getting the D3 with Brazilian? That woudl be the Cat's meow!  

Hey songman

I kept notes while shopping for my guitar so I have a pretty accurate record of my impressions of the guitars I played.  The biggest difference between the Collings dreads I played while shopping and the SD-50 was the clean bass.  Even the Collings DS-2H I played it against had a much Thicker, muddy bass.  Nowhere near as undefined as the classic style martins I played, but still much more than the SD-50.  There are styles of music where that thick smooth "is that a guitar or a standup bass in the background?" sound is exactly what you want, so it certainly isn't a bad characteristic, and it probably is a defining sound for dreadnoughts.  I will admit, I play a quite a bit of Dave Matthews stuff  :unsure: so I play alot chords on the 3, 4, 5, and 6 strings from the 7th fret to the 11th.  I want separation and clean rich bass.  

I didn't know about the Larrivee when I started shopping.  I actually started looking at j-45s 6 months ago, then stumbled into the 12 fret dread world after playing a sweet Santa Cruz Norman Blake at a local Country Bear Jamboree.  The Collings DS-2h was at the very top of my list for months, then the Larrivee came along.  I sold my mint 1994 Taylor 555 the next day to finance the purchase.  If there was a $300 to $500 difference in the price between the two, I might have saved a few more months and come to a different decision, in part because if I recall correctly the collings has a slightly narrower nut, 1 13/16ths I think.  But the difference is closer to $1500, and the sound of the Larrivee was superior for what I like to hear.  It's been a little over 2 weeks now, and that 16th of an inch isn't even noticed anymore.  

Would I trade it for the brazilian D3 you have on order...  Well  heck yeah!  As much as I love the Larrivee, they are very consistent and  I have no doubt I could replace it with another.  Your D3 is going to be a more unique piece.

Philster,
THanks for the detailed and honest opinon about your experience with few of the guitars. It was fun reading your post. SUrly, guitar are sooo subjective. People really should get what's suits their ear and style of playing. Having said, I think you made a wonderful choice. I sure would love to try that Larrivee SD50 and SD 60.

btw, My D3 is not Brizillian. I don't know where people got the impression. It's standard Indian rosewood. YOu can see the picture of it on this forum. GO to other guitar makers and you'll know which thred it it. Hmm... do those sets look braz???? wow, i guess Collings sure use high grade rosewood. :D  

QuoteHmm... do those sets look braz???? wow, i guess Collings sure use high grade rosewood. :D
Those are indian? :o   That makes them even more beautiful!