Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha Silent Guitar???  (Read 1269 times)
inspector13

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »

Does anyone know anything about or had experience with a Yamaha Silent Guitar. I an a home inspector in Texas and want a guitar to keep in my truck for breaks in the day. It will be exposed to very hot summers and some winter temps. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
Cable53

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:12:25 AM »

Had mine for over a year Highly recommended! I play this thing everyday somehow. I'm a night owl and I play until the wee hours of the morning in a studio Apt. It's so quiet. And super fast  Action. I'll say this one of the most fun guitars I have. The reverb sounds good  but plugged in it to an amp it will simply amaze you. Hope this helps. PS. Very rugged, will take a beating. Temps shouldn't be a problem as it's mostly air.
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 12:17:21 AM »

I don't own one, but I tried one out. They are great!
I have a Traveler Escape slient guitar and use it all the time. It has a Shadow pickup and it produces a unique sound.
The full size necks on these travel guitars really help a beginner like me.
Plus, mine is a definite carry-on in the eyes of all airlines!!! :GRN>
Go for it,
Fred
Celticjam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »

I have a Yamaha Silent Guitar and I think it's nice but if you're looking for an acoustic sounding guitar it's may not cut it.  I spend a lot of time in my truck in the Denver metro area and I have tried all kinds of guitars throughout all kinds of weather (summers up to 100 winters down to 0).  I've had a Seagull Grand and a Baby Taylor(nice but I didn't want to expose them to extreme temps so I wouldn't leave it in the truck when temps were forecasted to be lower than 30 or higher than 80),a Martin backpacker that took the abuse and in all temps but was lacking a little in sound and felt kind of weird to hold, kind of like playing a 2x4.  For me the solution has been a CA Bluegrass Performer, sounds great, takes any kind of temp abuse, stays in tune and if it flew out of the truck going down the highway I think I would just have to dust it off and keep playing.  Little pricier than the others but worth it.  The Yamaha took the temperature abuse with no effect and sounds great with headphones, just not truly acoustic, more electricee.  Hope this helps.

Kevin
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:58:10 PM »

Monday night was a big night on the east coast of Canada when the local music association, ECMA, broadcast its awards show on CBC.

It was a big surprise to see multi instrumentalist extraordinaire J.P. Cormier playing a Yamaha Silent on stage! J.P. goes through instruments faster than our very own Fitness1 and has an impressive collection. So why did he choose to play this instrument? Who knows. J.P. is a giant of a man, with the soul of a poet, and so awesome a player no one ever questions what he does.

I was surprised at how good it sounded. Now it didn't sound like a million bucks, but it sounded as good as a lot of piezo equipped stage guitars you normally hear.

It let the full colour of his stage shirt shine through too!! :GRN>

This photo shows J.P. and up and coming blues player Matt Anderson trading off on some blistering guitar work. I got the chance to see Matt at one of the events on Friday and WOW!! can this kid rock. He will be a star!

Ron

inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:28 AM »

The temps are the big problem. Today in Dallas at 3PM it was 87 degrees and the temp in my truck was 117 and this is only March 1st. The 105 degree and hotter days in the summer are going to be bad. I think a Silent may be the one to get.

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 11:21:05 AM »

I would love to own a CA Bluegrass.
I have to agree with the temp issue. I was tempted to buy a Breedlove Passport travel guitar when they were on sale. Nice guitars, but I would have to get over the stress of leaving that guitar in a car.
I travelled last year to Florida and the East coast with a Washburn Rover. These are a little bulky when in their travel case, but they can stand up to a lot. It was in the trunk of a rental car part of the time and it did very well.
So far the Traveler Escape is pretty bulletproof and stays in tune. It doesn't have a traditional acoustic sound, but that is kind of why I like it. It's small enough to play in the car even with its standard scale neck.
--Fred
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »

The temps are the big problem. Today in Dallas at 3PM it was 87 degrees and the temp in my truck was 117 and this is only March 1st. The 105 degree and hotter days in the summer are going to be bad. I think a Silent may be the one to get.

If you want a less expensive alternative, the Aria Sinsonido is also worth looking at. I've had both the nylon and steel string versions and they are great for leaving in cars, offices, etc. Also, very good to travel with and play in hotels late at night.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: