Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Cedar top  (Read 6096 times)
dodge

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 01:08:54 AM »

"Jean and Matt just plain don't like cedar and as long as they sell all the Sitka tops they can make there's no reason to expect them to build in cedar, Engelmann or Adirondack."

I agree  oneeyedjack, like i said if you want a different topwood just look somewhere else, maybe it's not all about financial reasons, in anycase I like the guitars that Larrivee make, but for fingerstyle playing I wanted a topwwood that was a little moe responsive than sitka. If Larrive had the option of different topwoods then my last guitar would have been a Larrive. So maybe they are losing a few customers due to there decision to only use sitka.
oneeyedjack

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 01:13:22 AM »

"... but for fingerstyle playing I wanted a topwwood that was a little moe responsive than sitka."

Exactly!!  My OMV-09K rarely gets played anymore since I got my cedar topped McAlister.  I gave some serious thought once to having Lance McCollum retop my Larrivee.
PAPA-K

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »

I have a cedar top koa  DO-9  1997 sweetest guitar ever Also have a D-9 jumbo german spruce rosewood that i chose over a D-28 martin..no regrets  nice guitar
Sabatini

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »

I was at Wildwood Music in Coshocton, Ohio, in March of 2013 when Jean Larrivée visited there. Wildwood had a couple of Larrivée parlor guitars with cedar tops, one rosewood b/s and one zebrawood b/s. Jean told us he makes very few cedar guitars, and if I recall correctly, it was partly because a lot of dealers were not prepared to care for them well enough, humidity, etc., and resulting damage was a headache to deal with and did nothing to enhance the Larrivée brand. That and the fact that Jean thinks sitka is a great wood that gives him everything he is looking for in a top wood.

EDIT:

I just looked at the Wildwood Music site and they currently have a number of custom 03 cedar-topped Larrivée guitars in L, LV, OM, DV, and parlor sizes.

Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »

When I first met Jean in 1971, he was only using cedar, my first order from him at that time,
 which I took delivery of in 1972 was a Cedar top /EIR ''L".
we ordered 4 of them, and I know where all four are to this day.
 My most recent cedar top was an OM with Walnut Back and sides.
 Evidently a custom run, one of 6 made or something.

From my understanding, Cedar doesn't "come up" as much as a spruce top (sound wise) and actually can deaden out after several years, and yes, there are problems with bridge lifting, and bracing issues over time.

just my 2 cents, here's a pic of the cedar/walnut OM.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »

Whoa!, as with forum discussions, any older thread that has recently been added to, gets moved to the top of the heap.
Just noticed this thread was started 8 years ago!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: