Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Whitely- what did he play? Dirt Floor, Weed and Live at Martyrs  (Read 1065 times)
allengeetarr

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »

Unfortunately I found this guy after his untimely death, and I can not stop listening to Dirt Floor, Weed and Live at Martyrs now. Very raw and powerful sound.

Does anyone know what particular instruments he played and how he played? I am really taken by the shrill of his playing on Live at Martyrs and that has to be an amplified steel body. My guess is that Son House would like that disc.

Thanks for any insight.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 04:43:47 PM »

Unfortunately I found this guy after his untimely death, and I can not stop listening to Dirt Floor, Weed and Live at Martyrs now. Very raw and powerful sound.

Does anyone know what particular instruments he played and how he played? I am really taken by the shrill of his playing on Live at Martyrs and that has to be an amplified steel body. My guess is that Son House would like that disc.

Thanks for any insight.

From an older issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine:

CHRIS WHITLEY still plays the two vintage Style O Nationals, wired with old Barcus-Berry Dobro pickups, he used on Living with the Law. On War Crime Blues, he plugged into a cigarette pack–sized, battery-powered amp from the Netherlands that blended, to eerie effect, with the acoustic tone via a room mic. He also plays a new National Triolian and a Les Paul that he used extensively on Din of Ecstasy. The Les Paul stays in standard tuning but the Nationals are in ever-changing alternate tunings that plummet from C# down to A in the bass. The intent, says Whitley, is to “sound less like a guitar.” To tune down that far, he strings the Nationals with the heaviest electric sets he can find: typically .016–.062 or .014–.059. He uses a metal slide, cut away on one side so he can rotate it and use his slide finger for fretting, that he made from a bike handlebar 20 years ago. 

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 05:47:02 PM »

This is from the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine, p.39

Chris Whitley, 1960-2005
What He Played
By Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers
• Main Guitars: 1929 National Triolian, 1932 National Style O, and Gibson Les Paul Junior.
• Strings: Beefy electric nickel strings (typically .016–.062 or .014–.059) on the Nationals to accommodate his superlow
tunings (which sometimes put the sixth string as low as A).
• Slide: Handmade more than 20 years ago from a piece of bicycle handlebar, cut away on one side so Whitley could rotate it and use his slide finger for fretting.
• Amplification: Barcus-Berry magnetic Dobro pickups (on the Nationals), Trace Elliot Velocette 12R tube amp.

Ron

bluestrain

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 01:37:44 AM »

CW was a master and there is/was no one like him.  My ipod is on shuffle constantly and I find I am usually fast worwarding until I get to CW. it's been lke this for years.  I love every album.  If you liked dirt floor you could check out war crime blues.  He played a national in his own unique style.  He also played banjo, again in a one-of-a-kind style.   I find him truly inspiring. 

Larrivee D-03R
Strat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: