Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fellow Torontonians!..where can i....  (Read 705 times)
Crunchy Wacko

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »

Where can I go to see some of the  local acoustic geniuses in the city?

Cheers

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:07:27 AM »

Crunchy,

There are others who are more clued in than I am, but my top recommendation would be to find out whenever Jason Fowler is playing and go see him.  He's my favourite local player.  He has been playing a lot with fiddler Anne Lindsay lately but unfortunately (for us; fortunately for her) she's involved with the Lord of the Rings musical, so she'll be off the circuit for a while.  I'm sure Jason can still be seen from time to time, though, when he's not accompanying John McDermott (the "Oh Danny Boy" guy), which is one of his main gigs.

If you like bluegrass, the Foggy Hogtown Boys have just started a Saturday residence at the Brunswick House.  They're really good.

Sort of along the same lines, there are several "old-timey" outfits that play regularly at the Cameron House on Queen St. and the Silver Dollar on Spadina.

Get on the mailing list for the Toronto Fingerstyle Guitar Association (I'll post their website below).  They seem to have some sort of event every other week, but I haven't been able to make it to any yet.

And here's an early heads-up for an event that you shouldn't miss: on May 19 and 20, there's a "Men of Steel" bill at Hugh's Room that will feature Tony McManus, Don Ross, Dan Crary and Beppe Gambetta.  That should be quite awesome.

Here's the link to the TFGA (and I note from their site that Muriel Anderson is coming in April):

http://www.torontofingerstyleguitar.com/

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Crunchy Wacko

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:55:57 AM »

Tycho

Thanks for the wealth of info! Seeing it live always gives that extra inspiration.

Cheers

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »

You could also talk to the guys at Ring Music and The Twelfth Fret. They are servicing most of the top players and should ahve a handle on where they are gigging.

+1 on Jason Fowler (wow)

The local indie papers (Eye, Now) should have some schedule info for the clubs and coffe house scenes.

Ron

Crunchy Wacko

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 01:48:49 AM »

You could also talk to the guys at Ring Music and The Twelfth Fret. They are servicing most of the top players and should ahve a handle on where they are gigging.

+1 on Jason Fowler (wow)

The local indie papers (Eye, Now) should have some schedule info for the clubs and coffe house scenes.

Thanks Ron

Seems Jason is playing on March 11 about 5 kms from me. I'll have to look into that.

Cheers 

2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: