Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaving the braces...  (Read 1368 times)
djsonovox

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:21:33 PM »

...On a newly gained Sigma DR-28.
It looks beautiful, rosewood sides and back (solid) and spruce top. But it has a tight, over-varnished sound. Thin Man Strings in Alameda said he'd do it for $50, so why not? I hope it gains more volume and deeper tone.

Then I will get the neck worked on. It's from the mid '90's, so I know it has settled in. No top warp at all. It sounds real close to a MArtin D-28, but quieter and a bit less bass, so I hope this does the trick. I'll keep posting as I modify the guitar.

Doug Jones

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
DVGuy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:55:40 PM »

If you didnn't pay a lot for it, and don't mind potentially destroying it (it is a risk) then, by all means, go for it.

If I could experiment for $50, I might risk it.
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »

A luthier friend mentioned this very subject. What he found  on the Sigma he looked at was a very thick top with very light bracing. If the top is really thick shaving braces probably won't help. Still for $50.00 with an expectation that the instrument may become a wall hanger you aren't risking much.
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:18:18 PM »

How much for a haircut and blowdry? Perhaps a good flossing too.
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:02:45 AM »

Go ahead.  Just consider the guitar to be disposable when finished.  It will probably sound pretty good until the inevitable.

E. Shoaf
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »

why dont you shave the top from the underside if it's too thick??  Instead of messing with the braces?

Besides thicker top doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »

Hey, Doug, If you like the tone, maybe before you do that you should stick a K&K on her and play her out a bit.  The lower bass and resonance might make it fantastic low-cost dread for gigging.  Just a thought.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 06:29:23 AM »

Well, the top is about the same thickness as the D-35 we have in the house. And the braces are thicker in the Sigma! Ergo, I don't mind rsking a shave. A friend has a real, MArtin DR-28 that he had shaved---20 years ago--and it has not bellied nor warped, so I trust it will turn out all right.

About the K & K pickups...I have experimented puting them in different places inside the guitar top to get the best tone. So far--with a Twin Spot--gluing one to the underside of the treble end of the bridge and one half-way betwen the bass and and the end pin area seems richest.

Oh, I used to have a Breedlove, Korean, the Dread body with cutaway, and it had very tight restricted tone. No bass to speak of...and the guys at Sylvan told me that they have ripped out the bridge doctor and got all kinds of gutsy tone from them. I didn't risk it. Traded it in and got a Larrivee!!
Since this is just a Sigma, no guarantee anyway...a decade old, I will gamble on shaving the braces.

Doug

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele