Tasmanian Blackwood - Heiner

Started by orsino, April 12, 2004, 10:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's a link to my buddy Cams' photos of his BW Heiner.
http://www.celticguitartalk.com/assets/gui...nerD/index.html

Check out his videos on his recordings page as well.

Beeee utifull!  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

OMG!  Thanks orsino! :ph34r:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Wow. That's the first one I have seen with a blackwood top. It's similar enough to Koa that I thought that it would work but wasn't sure.

Tom, how does it sound?

I wonder how an all-blackwood parlor would sound.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Well, well, well - seems I've been announced! Thanks Orsino - you're doing a fine job Sir!

The Tas blackwood guitar is quite a delight. I first saw it at a festival in Germany and fell in love with it straight away. Never had I played a guitar of that size with such a rich depth of tone, even in standard 440 tuning. I tried many, many fine guitars over the weekend, but I kept coming back to the Heiner D.

After I got home, I found that I was thinking about it a lot, and fired off an email a few months later, just out of curiosity's sake, to see whether it had been sold. The rest, as they say, is history!

At the moment I play it mostly in CGDGAD which it handles fairly well, but the low C is a bit lacking in tension. I've just ordered a few 0.59s to see if that will help any. I play Celtic tunes in that tuning, and the guitar really suits that kind of music. The sustain is wonderful too - it just rings and rings.

The workmanship is as I'm coming to expect from German luthiers, pretty darned perfect. It's not just cars they're good at it would seem!

Cheers,
Cams

Cams,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing!  You may have noticed, we love Blackwood around here and your guitar is no exception.

Thanks again! B)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Cams, that is one beautiful guitar.  the first all BW i've seen.  It also sound very nice.  May i ask what strings you use with it?
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

QuoteIt also sound very nice.  May i ask what strings you use with it?
It's got a set of custom Newtones on it just now for low C tuning. The low C is a 0.56 but apparently has a heavier core than your normal low E string which gives it more tension at low tunings. It still doesn't have enough tension for my liking at the moment, so I've just bought some D'Addario 0.59s to try. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to wait for my Brook baritone in about six months...