Larrivee Vs Martin

Started by smalt, August 24, 2003, 09:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have just heard of the Larrivee Guitar. The last guitar I bought was a Takamine, 20 years ago. I didn't know anything about anything. I just knew the sound and look I was looking for. The Tak 1982 F360-S fit the bill.

Today I'm looking to buy another guitar, somewhere around $1000.00, give ir take a few hundred. I figure a guitar every 20 years or so, what's a few hundred?.

Orginally, I was looking at the Martin D16-GT. I don't need electronics, but somewhere in the search I heard about Larrivee Guitars, so I looked them up on the Internet and found Strait Music in Austin, TX.  I took the 120 mile trek and tested an OM-05 and a D16-GT at the same time. They both sound fantastic although very diferent. They both sounded awsome in there own right. I'm looking for a Drednought. But now I don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

I was a Martin Guy for a long time, in fact I owned several, a D3-18 GOM, an OM -21 and a HD-28. I thought they were the cat's meow...until I tried a Larrivee.  My DV10K, LC10K and OMV10K Larrivees have now replaced my Martins and I have never looked back. Don't get me wrong, Martin makes a great product, I just think Larrivees have a better tone, superior balance, are made better than the newer Martins, the upgrade in appointments will not set you back like a Martin and you get greater bang for the buck. My DV10 Koa plays circles around my former D3-18 and that is saying a lot. For a great selection at great prices, check out Andy's Guitar.com and talk to UncleRob. Tell him Koamon sent you. ;)
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

It's funny that you mentioned the Martin D-16 GT and the Larrivee OM05... I had the same "out of body" experience about 2 years ago.  I had the "hots" for this Martin D-16RGT and couldn't get it out of my head.  I went back to my favorite guitar store and could play it for hours...loved it!   Then, this saleman said "give this Larrivee a try and tell me what you think".  It was all over at that point!!!  I was floored by the bright, loud, full balanced sound and I knew that baby was coming home with me!  It was a D03, plain Jane but packed a powerful punch.  I had heard of Larrivee before but always found them too plain (I was in to eye candy and flash).  Since that day, more than 2 years ago, I have purchased an OM05 as well.  It has now become my main squeeze and rarely a day goes by without the two of us getting together for a play.  There is something about the size (very comfortable to hold) and sound of an OM that seems to be turning my crank more so than ever.  I have a custom Collings D-1 that just sits there and hardly ever gets played any more.  

So, I am glad you have discovered what a lot of people have, Larrivee makes a great guitar.   Good luck in your quest for a new baby (how you waited 20 years I'll never know!!)

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I've never owned a Martin, and don't know if I ever will...but if I lose my Larrivee, I want another! Whichever you pick, good luck. I don't see you going wrong with a Larrivee. :)  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I have Martins and Larrivees, and like all of them. They each have their own strengths. I think the best bet for anyone is to disregard brand generalizations and look at specific guitars. Then decide what to get.

Having said that, I think Larrivee generally offers better value. Although the Martin Cherry (Smartwood) series really kick butt in the value department. Good looks and great sound for less than a $1000. If I had no guitars and $1000, I'd get a Martin SWM-GT. It's one of my favorites (but I say that about all my guitars.)

-CM-

Thanks for your help on this one. I'm going back to Austin on Saturday and do some more comparing. It's a tuff job, but...

Sounds like you're seriously looking! I'd play every single guitar at the top of my budget and down some.

It's really hard to select....sometimes a sound I liked last week is just okay today. Hence buyers remorse?
:huh:
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

GIGGLER, you make a good point. That's why I didn't buy it on the spot. I'm taking my time. I've been researching Larrivee's on the Internet and haven't found one bad thing about them yet. Can't wait to get to Austin on Saturday.