Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Larrivee D-03 Story  (Read 1256 times)
bikodog

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2003, 02:29:58 AM »

Back in May I bought a used Larrivee D-03 at my local store, it was in mint condition,  probably never played from what I could tell,  zero fret wear.

I brought it home, but it had a few minor issues,  some fret buzz, but good action, and not much volume.

Well, in July,  I had it hanging in my guitar room, and the hook it was on,  fell off the wall.  Cracking the side panel near the neck,  and putting a crack on the top on the lower bout.

I took it to a local luthier, and let me tell you it's better than when I bought it.  He did a fantastic job on the cracks.  I can find them, but I have to look and hold it in the right light.  But what he did about set up is fantastic.

I had him change to a bone saddle.  He compensated each string, so the intonation is perfect.  He leveled the frets,  adjusted each string at the nut.  It's got super low action now, no buzz, and it's a cannon.   Lot's more volume than before, and the sustain is incredible.  

Never thought I'd get over the cracks, but I have.  I love it more than before.  

A well done professional setup is worth the money.  

Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )
Griff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 09:12:12 PM »

We should all have talented Luthiers like yours living in our neighborhoods!

It is interesting that getting rid of the composite (Tusq) saddle and replacing it with bone seems to be the way to go. Everybody I have spoken with who has had this done has reported dramatic improvements. I just wish that Larrivée would at least have bone saddles in all his 10 series guitars at least (All the Parlour Deluxe guitars have them).

I chose Mammoth Ivory for my LJ-10 and my Gibson SJ and they became a totally different instruments over night! The most dramatic improvement was in the Larrivée, however. I am presently having bone saddles put in my Larrivée Parlour and L-10-12 that will be compensated for all strings. I can't wait to play them.

Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: