Buying used with added strap button?

Started by hawkman71, February 08, 2018, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm assuming Larrivee never made a guitar with a strap button attached at the base (heel) of the neck. I've never had a guitar with one, either. Would it keep you from buying it? Will it compromise the neck in any way? Does it get IN the way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jean ties his guitar at the headstock "hippy style".  Never seen a factory Larrivee with a strap button on the heel.

Unless it was something very special, I would not buy a guitar with a strap button on the heel cap.  It's a terrible location and causes the guitar to roll forward.  On the treble side of the heel is ok and wouldn't bother me.

If it was a guitar I really wanted, I'd remove the strap button and get someone in inlay a pearl or ebony dot in the hole.

Really depends where on the heel it was installed - there is a right and "wrong" way to install. If it was me and installed properly it would not influence my purchase.

:gotpics:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Won't bother me at all - it doesn't do anything to or for the guitar - it is for the player.
I can't see it affecting the value of the guitar either.
Just as long as it isn't on the top of the heel when playing for lefties - that would be wrong hey Joyce?... :tongue:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Never bothers me, just saves me the step of installing one on the back side of the neck heel, but never on the bottom of the heel.
George

Folks get picky about strange stuff.  On the side of the heel that faces up is a bad idea. Other than that, heel cap or lower side of the heel is fine...  unless it was screwed in without predrilling.

Ed

Thanks. Not trying to be picky. Never played one with one. Just asking.

On topic... Below is the only location Larrivée recommends for maintaining structural integrity and keeping warranty in tact.

Quote from: J M Larrivée on February 10, 2018, 11:15:23 AM
  On topic... Below is the only location Larrivée recommends for maintaining structural integrity and keeping warranty in tact.

Thank you!

Buying used with added strap button -
I would consider it an asset if the strap button is attached to the heel like this.  It saves me the trouble of having it done.

THIS is why we know our brand is the BEST!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

What does the measurement in the second picture look like to you?  1 7/16?

Quote from: mattwood on February 17, 2018, 11:31:46 AM
I'm having trouble reading both, to me, it looks like the scale is at the edge of the button
is it possible to give measurements for "center"?
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: mattwood on February 17, 2018, 11:31:46 AM

Yep - 1 7/16" the center of the screw.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

If the button's been installed properly at the correct location, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

I actually (finally) had one put on my Larry just last year after many years of the "hippy" style.

Much more manageable on stage!
2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A